Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: She Who Must Be Obeyed

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Business is always going to be bad because business, like politics, is a place where by definition predators thrive. Other bad spots: law enforcement, the military, entertainment, athletics, and other arenas where attributes other than intelligence get you ahead.
    Boy, that's a lot of predators! But there's a vanishingly small number of people whose biases might affect their voting patterns (other thread)?

Makes no sense to me.

Re: She Who Must Be Obeyed

Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    Boy, that's a lot of predators! But there's a vanishingly small number of people whose biases might affect their voting patterns (other thread)?
    What makes you think a lot of people thrive in business? Seems to me most of us are just wage slaves crushed under the yoke, doing what we can because we must, and waiting for the sweet release of death.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Business is always going to be bad because business, like politics, is a place where by definition predators thrive. Other bad spots: law enforcement, the military, entertainment, athletics, and other arenas where attributes other than intelligence get you ahead.
    On the flip side, more than few of the women who thrive in those fields can be worse than many of men. See: TV personalities, CEOs, politicians, and athletes.

Veteran

Posted by a friend on FB - Wanted at Chinese Start-Ups: Attractive Women to Ease Codersí Stress.

so many things wrong with this.

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    Posted by a friend on FB - Wanted at Chinese Start-Ups: Attractive Women to Ease Codersí Stress.

Meh. It's a living. I actually could go for a foot rub right now.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

there's a good buck in that racket.

But she is not attractive

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    But she is not attractive
    Well, Chinese, so I assume not.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Well, Chinese, so I assume not.
    Dude!!!!

Dude!!!!
    My heart is liberal, my eyes are racist AF.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Ladyboys need not apply?

Jhina has "brogrammers", too.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    "Brogrammers"....can we add "bro" to the banned words list?

Matt Frattin for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    "Brogrammers"....can we add "bro" to the banned words list?
    It's "Bruh" now, anyways. Get with it. Sheesh.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
    Ladyboys need not apply?
    all "Asians" look alike, huh?
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

all "Asians" look alike, huh?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsXHVC8wM1M
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I suppose I should consider myself lucky not to work with any.

I suppose I should consider myself lucky not to work with any.
    Yes, you should.

Honestly, "tech bros" may be even more annoying than "jock bros" or "Wall Street bros".
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Just keep your hands off my dog

Such a good movie

Lucia Apologist

Ok I have a complex question

The two women that planned and led this trip were both offended that none of the plants that we visited had any female engineers in the host teams. One said ďso much for progressive Europeď. Being a man, I donít always perceive these things. However, I really felt like each of the plants rolled out there most senior engineers possible. So I feel like it was just the set of circumstances we had.

I did notice that the oldest person who was with us was often addresssed first. He also happened to be a guy. He and I tried to stay at the back of the group so the hosts would address the women leaders first. I felt like this was borderline patronizing. I went with it because I wasnít about to risk enflaming the situation. Even to the point where I felt my position as the incoming elected leader of the group was compromised. One of the European colleagues said he thought the woman who organized the trip was acting more like the leader.

Yesterday as the night was winding down, one of the women said that she expected better and thought women werenít treated very well in Europe. She tried to clarify by saying it was just one plant, but she absolutely meant it was Europe in general. I attempted to give her an out but our very progressive Belgian colleagues were deeply offended already. And understandably so. They both said they donít even see a man or woman when they are hiring. They see candidates and qualifications.

When I was talking the second of the women tonight, she also said she had talked to the other female colleague and that they had both noticed how poorly they were treated and the lack of other women at all of the plants.

She was also very disappointed that she didnít see any minorities in the plants and that generally she was disappointed that our company didnít hire more minorities. She told me sheís Hispanic, female, and engineer, and a mother of a special needs child so she feels isolated and it can be lonely at the company. Her exact words were that hiring women was supposed to be a global initiative. So she was disappointed that we only had two other women at this conference.

I tried to explain that we live in Minnesota and the employement base here is 90%+ white. So it makes sense that we have 90% white people in our division. But even that isnít true. We have many people who identify with various groups. Way more than 10%. She brought up the fact that universities have plenty of diverse people more so even than the local population. ďWhy canít we more reflect the university demographics?Ē

Sheís very bright and has a progressive passion. But Iíve also noticed itís about the issues that impact her. She is very passionate about the company being more accommodating to mothers. Which is fine, but am I wrong in that it is a life choice? She said that she thinks that women who are pregnant should be able to tell the company they donít want to work in chemical plants. Why should a company bend over backwards for a woman who chooses to become a mother and one who doesnít? What about men who are trying to become fathers? Chemicals can impact male reproductive systems just the same as a chemical can impact a woman. If a man or woman is attempting to have a child with their partner, I feel like they should be able to request some concessions, but not at the cost of the core function of his or her job.

I donít know what to say to her. I think sheís being overly sensitive but at the same time, I know Iím a guy so I donít perceive everything that a woman might. Especially one who identifies with all of the groups I mentioned above.

Ok, so now my question. How do you respond to this? Sheís viewed as a leader in my division so I feel like I have to tiptoe through the tulips with her.

I agree we should have more women in the workforce, but I agree with my Belgian colleagues that we shouldnít hire women because theyíre women. We should hire the best candidates and see beyond gender and other identities as much as possible.

I donít even see men or women in the workforce anymore. Not in my division. I see colleagues.

Made in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Ok I have a complex question

The two women that planned and led this trip were both offended that none of the plants that we visited had any female engineers in the host teams. One said “so much for progressive Europe“. Being a man, I don’t always perceive these things. However, I really felt like each of the plants rolled out there most senior engineers possible. So I feel like it was just the set of circumstances we had.

I did notice that the oldest person who was with us was often addresssed first. He also happened to be a guy. He and I tried to stay at the back of the group so the hosts would address the women leaders first. I felt like this was borderline patronizing. I went with it because I wasn’t about to risk enflaming the situation. Even to the point where I felt my position as the incoming elected leader of the group was compromised. One of the European colleagues said he thought the woman who organized the trip was acting more like the leader.

Yesterday as the night was winding down, one of the women said that she expected better and thought women weren’t treated very well in Europe. She tried to clarify by saying it was just one plant, but she absolutely meant it was Europe in general. I attempted to give her an out but our very progressive Belgian colleagues were deeply offended already. And understandably so. They both said they don’t even see a man or woman when they are hiring. They see candidates and qualifications.

When I was talking the second of the women tonight, she also said she had talked to the other female colleague and that they had both noticed how poorly they were treated and the lack of other women at all of the plants.

She was also very disappointed that she didn’t see any minorities in the plants and that generally she was disappointed that our company didn’t hire more minorities. She told me she’s Hispanic, female, and engineer, and a mother of a special needs child so she feels isolated and it can be lonely at the company. Her exact words were that hiring women was supposed to be a global initiative. So she was disappointed that we only had two other women at this conference.

I tried to explain that we live in Minnesota and the employement base here is 90%+ white. So it makes sense that we have 90% white people in our division. But even that isn’t true. We have many people who identify with various groups. Way more than 10%. She brought up the fact that universities have plenty of diverse people more so even than the local population. “Why can’t we more reflect the university demographics?”

She’s very bright and has a progressive passion. But I’ve also noticed it’s about the issues that impact her. She is very passionate about the company being more accommodating to mothers. Which is fine, but am I wrong in that it is a life choice? She said that she thinks that women who are pregnant should be able to tell the company they don’t want to work in chemical plants. Why should a company bend over backwards for a woman who chooses to become a mother and one who doesn’t? What about men who are trying to become fathers? Chemicals can impact male reproductive systems just the same as a chemical can impact a woman. If a man or woman is attempting to have a child with their partner, I feel like they should be able to request some concessions, but not at the cost of the core function of his or her job.

I don’t know what to say to her. I think she’s being overly sensitive but at the same time, I know I’m a guy so I don’t perceive everything that a woman might. Especially one who identifies with all of the groups I mentioned above.

Ok, so now my question. How do you respond to this? She’s viewed as a leader in my division so I feel like I have to tiptoe through the tulips with her.

I agree we should have more women in the workforce, but I agree with my Belgian colleagues that we shouldn’t hire women because they’re women. We should hire the best candidates and see beyond gender and other identities as much as possible.

I don’t even see men or women in the workforce anymore. Not in my division. I see colleagues.
    Those two women are sexist, and should be understood as such. Having women in a plant because of their gender is equally as bad as not having women there because of their gender. In addition, you deserve commendation for gender blindness, because THAT is the true message that is sought when it comes to gender equality. Both genders have opportunities regardless of how "the inside parts" are manufactured.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Thread Information