Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: She Who Must Be Obeyed

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    English lesson for girl this morning.....

Shippers are coming so mookie moves the cars. Girl drives a stick. Mookie can’t drive a stick.

Mookie moves both cars from driveway to street this morning.

Girl is yelling cause mookie moves stick from driveway to street.... “you told me you can’t drive a stick!!”

- mookie can’t

“But it’s in the street”

-that’s not driving. That’s moving. Mookie can’t operate a stick, but can’t drive it

“What???”

I could pick up my daughter from the school 2 miles away in Dr. Mrs.' standard hooptie. That doesn't mean I can drive a stick.

BTW, it really sucks when 4th graders laugh at your driving. And you deserve it.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

How do people not know how to drive stick?! Especially those of you (mook, Kep) who are...of a certain age?

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
        How do people not know how to drive stick?! Especially those of you (mook, Kep) who are...of a certain age?
        I had never met a person who could drive stick until I moved west when I was 35.*

Christ, it's not like I grew up in the 1940s...

The only people who drive stick on the Acela corridor are as-sholes who own, or want to own, performance sports cars, or the Poors who have hoopties. The rest of us are automatic trans cradle to grave. Stick is a deprecated technology unless you drive F-1.

* I have a non-trivial number of friends from NYC who never learned to drive. There was simply no point for them.
        Last edited by Kepler; 06-22-2018, 01:42 PM.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          I had never met a person who could drive stick until I moved west when I was 35.*

The only people who drive stick on the Acela corridor are as-sholes who own, or want to own, performance sports cars, or the Poors who have hoopties. The rest of us are automatic trans cradle to grave. Stick is a deprecated technology unless you drive F-1.

* I have a non-trivial number of friends from NYC who never learned to drive. There was simply no point for them.
          The only reason we have automatic transmission is to grant permission to drive to those of limited manual dexterity. Manual transmission is the far superior technology. Much better fuel mileage, easier on the brakes, you don't have transmission fluid that you're constantly changing or filling. Plus, you never have to worry about it being stolen because almost no one knows how to drive them anymore. I've driven stick shift vehicles for close to 50 years and still own one today.

Unfortunately, physical dexterity skills are deteriorating in the human race at an ever increasing rate, thus the need to develop cars in which the "driver" doesn't have to do anything at all except hoist his azz into the seat.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Shorter SJHovey: "ballpoint pens are for inferior people who can't whittle their own nibs."
            Cornell University

Comment

I can actually understand the not learning to drive more than learning to drive, but only automatic. I, too, have several friends from metro areas (Boston and NYC) who have never learned or learned in their mid- to late 30s.

I grew up in rural PA and just assumed that everyone learned. Not necessarily because their family had a stick, but because either a friend did (rural friends) or because they went to Europe in the summer (Prep school friends). Both my parents (also not born in the 40s) also drive stick.

Not a dig on you, Kep. I'm always surprised to come across someone over 35 who doesn't know how. Younger than that, I'm not surprised since availability these days is ever shrinking. (My newest car, purchased this year, is a stick, but I was limited as to which models I could buy from this conpany if I wanted manual transmission).

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                I can actually understand the not learning to drive more than learning to drive, but only automatic. I, too, have several friends from metro areas (Boston and NYC) who have never learned or learned in their mid- to late 30s.

I grew up in rural PA and just assumed that everyone learned. Not necessarily because their family had a stick, but because either a friend did (rural friends) or because they went to Europe in the summer (Prep school friends). Both my parents (also not born in the 40s) also drive stick.

Not a dig on you, Kep. I'm always surprised to come across someone over 35 who doesn't know how. Younger than that, I'm not surprised since availability these days is ever shrinking. (My newest car, purchased this year, is a stick, but I was limited as to which models I could buy from this conpany if I wanted manual transmission).
                I was surprised at first when I moved to the West that everybody drives stick there. It would make zero sense in the northeastern cities' start-stop traffic. But in the West it makes perfect sense to drive stick -- you have far more control, it's more fun, and you get better mileage.

I wish I'd learned -- I just never had any incentive, like 98% of the people I grew up with.

I have had several GFs who tried to teach me, including Dr. Mrs. That didn't work for anybody. I love driving, and we plan to retire to the West, so once we're settled there I'll probably just get an instructor and pick it up in a couple days.
                Cornell University

Comment

I find that I was a much more engaged driver when I drove manual transmissions - acceleration rates, how I'm approaching a curve, etc.

Hovey - automatic transmissions are largely exceeding manual transmissions for MPG ratings now. The computers used to control them, and adding up to 8 gears now, have made them more efficient than manual transmissions.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I was surprised at first when I moved to the West that everybody drives stick there. It would make zero sense in the northeastern cities' start-stop traffic. But in the West it makes perfect sense to drive stick -- you have far more control, it's more fun, and you get better mileage.

I wish I'd learned -- I just never had any incentive, like 98% of the people I grew up with.

I have had several GFs who tried to teach me, including Dr. Mrs. That didn't work for anybody. I love driving, and we plan to retire to the West, so once we're settled there I'll probably just get an instructor and pick it up in a couple days.
                    Manual transmissions are only about 7% of overall vehicle sales now. Many cars don't even offer them anymore, it's more like a traditional automatic or the CVT are your transmission options now.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Re: She Who Must Be Obeyed

need practice. first time mookie drove one was buds rx7 in boston while at school. mookie asked for a ride and bud tossed the keys and said go yourself. clutch gas. easy peasy

like guitar. mookie can teach guitar but can't "play" unless everyone else playing with is drunk!

stuff like that requires practice to be able to "DO". and automatic is easy. mookie is inherently lazy. sooooooooorrrrrryyy
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Shorter SJHovey: "ballpoint pens are for inferior people who can't whittle their own nibs."
                        I'm sure once you've moved out west you'll have no problem at all working out the dexterity issues and come to enjoy driving a stick as much as the rest of us.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          like guitar. mookie can teach guitar but can't "play" unless everyone else playing with is drunk!
                          I read all mookie posts in the voice of Code Monkey.
                          Cornell University

Comment

538 survey on attitudes re: masculinity.

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise. It's not that the results are depressing (they aren't) or laudable (they aren't), it's just that they seem to me to be utterly predictable.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 06-22-2018, 10:56 PM.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              The only reason we have automatic transmission is to grant permission to drive to those of limited manual dexterity. Manual transmission is the far superior technology. Much better fuel mileage, easier on the brakes, you don't have transmission fluid that you're constantly changing or filling. Plus, you never have to worry about it being stolen because almost no one knows how to drive them anymore. I've driven stick shift vehicles for close to 50 years and still own one today.

Unfortunately, physical dexterity skills are deteriorating in the human race at an ever increasing rate, thus the need to develop cars in which the "driver" doesn't have to do anything at all except hoist his azz into the seat.
                              Modern automatic transmissions effectively match that of manuals for mileage now. Especially some of the more advanced ones. I changed my transmissions fluid once on my old car.

I also disagree with the dexterity. I’m not sure that’s the right word to use.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I posted this in the potus thread, whoops.

Back in college a few of my friends with manuals said I was a girl who they thought should be driving a manual. I took it as a compliment

Comment

Working...
                                X