Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fun With Numbers 2018: Pairwise, KRACH, GRaNT, and other mathematical excitement

Re: Fun With Numbers 2018: Pairwise, KRACH, GRaNT, and other mathematical excitement

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    It's the latter -- this is great, I went through the exact mental exercise you're going through a few years ago when I first built my calculator lol
    One notable element in the way that OppWin% and OppOppWin% is calculated is that those values will be will be exactly .500 for all of your regular season conference games. Every win counted in either component will be balanced by a loss. All of the difference in the values comes from nonconference and playoff games.

Re: Fun With Numbers 2018: Pairwise, KRACH, GRaNT, and other mathematical excitement

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
    one notable element in the way that oppwin% and oppoppwin% is calculated is that those values will be will be exactly .500 for all of your regular season conference games. Every win counted in either component will be balanced by a loss. All of the difference in the values comes from nonconference and playoff games.
    you math geeks are making my head spin

Let's go RED!

So what are the geeks saying the numbers look like this week?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
    you math geeks are making my head spin
    I am dizzy. I know its all math but its wacky how OSU can be so high when they dont have a single win against a top-9 team and have lost to teams at 29 and 31? Sometimes math just does not add up for me.

Someone mentioned Conference RPI in another thread. Here's everyone's RPI plotted out by conference on a chart:

Grant

You forgot the Alliance (not that you're alone).

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Grant

You forgot the Alliance (not that you're alone).
    Hahaha well they aren't a conference!

Bracketology: https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...lgate-clarkson

It's looking like Wisconsin is going to be facing a WCHA team regardless of whether or not Minnesota makes the tournament. The only exception would be if Robert Morris isn't a bus trip to Colgate, which is iffy (Google maps says it's 399 miles from RMU to Colgate) with 400 miles being the threshold.

Bracketology: https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...lgate-clarkson

It's looking like Wisconsin is going to be facing a WCHA team regardless of whether or not Minnesota makes the tournament. The only exception would be if Robert Morris isn't a bus trip to Colgate, which is iffy (Google maps says it's 399 miles from RMU to Colgate) with 400 miles being the threshold.
    You must use https://web1.ncaa.org/TES/exec/miles to calculate mileage.

404 miles.

Making America Troll Again

it looks to me like your data supports what we've been saying for years
    WCHA is the superior conference

When the Gophers come to Madison, or the Badgers head to Minneapolis, don't they fly anyway? Is the whole question or 'bus vs plane' just a fiction or an anachronism?

Quote Originally Posted by robertearle View Post
    When the Gophers come to Madison, or the Badgers head to Minneapolis, don't they fly anyway? Is the whole question or 'bus vs plane' just a fiction or an anachronism?
    The NCAA will not pay for a plane when a bus will suffice.

I don't mean to be argumentative, etc., but that isn't an answer to my question.

You must use https://web1.ncaa.org/TES/exec/miles to calculate mileage.

404 miles.
    Yeah I found that in my searches -- wasn't positive if that was definitely what they used or if it was just kind of an unofficial thing. Thanks!

I don't mean to be argumentative, etc., but that isn't an answer to my question.
    I don't know what the Gophers do but I would imagine the Badgers fly regardless; that's a haul. I think what joecct is saying is that the NCAA will pay for flights that are over a certain mileage, but the team is free to chip in extra cash if they want to fly instead of take a 350 mile bus trip.

As for its implications on the bracket -- yes, Ohio State is a flight to Madison for tournament purposes, but since (a) anyone other than the Gophers is going to be flying to Madison, and (b) Ohio State is flying no matter what, then Ohio State would be matched up with Wisconsin if the Gophers aren't in the tournament and the other three matchups are all between eastern teams that can bus to each other (Robert Morris being the only eastern team that's a flight everywhere). Otherwise someone would be flying to Wisconsin and Ohio State would be flying to someone else, and the committee won't pay for two flights when having only one is possible.

EDIT: And Minneapolis to Madison is a bus trip for tournament purposes, regardless of whether the Gophers decide to pay extra to fly.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 02-01-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Here's the NCAA's official policies on travel: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...s_20171009.pdf

400 miles is the number and mileage is calculated via the NCAA's mileage calculator (which joecct linked to).

Here's the NCAA's official policies on travel: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...s_20171009.pdf

400 miles is the number and mileage is calculated via the NCAA's mileage calculator (which joecct linked to).
    Fyi, it's 500 miles for D3.

Fyi, it's 500 miles for D3.
    Woof...

Woof...
    just opened up the link.....I know its not a hockey question but does anyone happen to know why basketball gets better treatment than all other sports? Including football! All other sports have the same rules and per diems but for some reason basketball seems to get preferential treatment!?

Quote Originally Posted by GTOWN View Post
    just opened up the link.....I know its not a hockey question but does anyone happen to know why basketball gets better treatment than all other sports? Including football! All other sports have the same rules and per diems but for some reason basketball seems to get preferential treatment!?
    You don't bite the hand that feeds you. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

Quote Originally Posted by vicb View Post
    you don't bite the hand that feeds you. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$
    i think deepthroat said it best
    "follow the money."

Thread Information