Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun With Numbers 2018: Pairwise, KRACH, GRaNT, and other mathematical excitement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fun With Numbers 2018: Pairwise, KRACH, GRaNT, and other mathematical excitement

Grant

You forgot the Alliance (not that you're alone).
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: Fun With Numbers 2018: Pairwise, KRACH, GRaNT, and other mathematical excitement

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Grant

You forgot the Alliance (not that you're alone).
      Hahaha well they aren't a conference!
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Bracketology: https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...lgate-clarkson

It's looking like Wisconsin is going to be facing a WCHA team regardless of whether or not Minnesota makes the tournament. The only exception would be if Robert Morris isn't a bus trip to Colgate, which is iffy (Google maps says it's 399 miles from RMU to Colgate) with 400 miles being the threshold.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
          Bracketology: https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...lgate-clarkson

It's looking like Wisconsin is going to be facing a WCHA team regardless of whether or not Minnesota makes the tournament. The only exception would be if Robert Morris isn't a bus trip to Colgate, which is iffy (Google maps says it's 399 miles from RMU to Colgate) with 400 miles being the threshold.
          You must use https://web1.ncaa.org/TES/exec/miles to calculate mileage.

404 miles.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

it looks to me like your data supports what we've been saying for years
            WCHA is the superior conference

Comment

When the Gophers come to Madison, or the Badgers head to Minneapolis, don't they fly anyway? Is the whole question or 'bus vs plane' just a fiction or an anachronism?

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                When the Gophers come to Madison, or the Badgers head to Minneapolis, don't they fly anyway? Is the whole question or 'bus vs plane' just a fiction or an anachronism?
                The NCAA will not pay for a plane when a bus will suffice.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I don't mean to be argumentative, etc., but that isn't an answer to my question.

Comment

You must use https://web1.ncaa.org/TES/exec/miles to calculate mileage.

404 miles.
                    Yeah I found that in my searches -- wasn't positive if that was definitely what they used or if it was just kind of an unofficial thing. Thanks!

I don't mean to be argumentative, etc., but that isn't an answer to my question.
                    I don't know what the Gophers do but I would imagine the Badgers fly regardless; that's a haul. I think what joecct is saying is that the NCAA will pay for flights that are over a certain mileage, but the team is free to chip in extra cash if they want to fly instead of take a 350 mile bus trip.

As for its implications on the bracket -- yes, Ohio State is a flight to Madison for tournament purposes, but since (a) anyone other than the Gophers is going to be flying to Madison, and (b) Ohio State is flying no matter what, then Ohio State would be matched up with Wisconsin if the Gophers aren't in the tournament and the other three matchups are all between eastern teams that can bus to each other (Robert Morris being the only eastern team that's a flight everywhere). Otherwise someone would be flying to Wisconsin and Ohio State would be flying to someone else, and the committee won't pay for two flights when having only one is possible.

EDIT: And Minneapolis to Madison is a bus trip for tournament purposes, regardless of whether the Gophers decide to pay extra to fly.
                    Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 02-01-2018, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Here's the NCAA's official policies on travel: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...s_20171009.pdf

400 miles is the number and mileage is calculated via the NCAA's mileage calculator (which joecct linked to).

Comment

Here's the NCAA's official policies on travel: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...s_20171009.pdf

400 miles is the number and mileage is calculated via the NCAA's mileage calculator (which joecct linked to).
                        Fyi, it's 500 miles for D3.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Fyi, it's 500 miles for D3.
                          Woof...

Comment

Woof...
                            just opened up the link.....I know its not a hockey question but does anyone happen to know why basketball gets better treatment than all other sports? Including football! All other sports have the same rules and per diems but for some reason basketball seems to get preferential treatment!?

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                              just opened up the link.....I know its not a hockey question but does anyone happen to know why basketball gets better treatment than all other sports? Including football! All other sports have the same rules and per diems but for some reason basketball seems to get preferential treatment!?
                              You don't bite the hand that feeds you. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$
                              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                                you don't bite the hand that feeds you. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$
                                i think deepthroat said it best
                                "follow the money."

Comment

Working...
                                X