X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey T*M2=NCA2*7

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Not much chatter about JJ.....I started following the team intently around 1986, but back then there was minimal media covering the team other than the 2 Madison papers, and me living is eastern WI my Dad always got the Milwaukee Journal. The point is I don't recall a whole lot of JJ as a player, I relate to UW goalies the most and the first one I remember is Dean Anderson. Anyway as a guy cracking the big 50 this year, hearing of him dying in his sleep being 53 really hits close to home. It was always awesome to have a former Badger running the US men's teams. Other states can say all they want, but Bob & Mark Johnson, Tony Granato and Jim Johannson ARE hockey, Wisconsin IS hockey. Forever forward, but LOVE the past.
    I didn't follow the UW team in 1983. I definitely knew his name from the last 5-6 years at US Hockey. I am sure Oz and Granato coaching on these teams was because of JJ. USA has been a lot more competitive since he took over the helm. Heard on Posick on WIBA this morning that Granato left the team yesterday and will be gone until after the Olympics (to help deal with JJ's passing and what it means for US hockey). Timing to make JJ funeral tomorrow I am sure was a factor as well.

So we will be without our head coach this weekend and it is up to the Wizard of Oz and Strobel. Connelly was on the bench at UC last Sunday, so I assume he will be taking third coach duties.
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

I got thinking about all-time records vs. opponents when I was thinking about what Penn State has done to UW. After some digging on the uwbadgers website here are the all-time records vs. opponents this season, not taking into the results of this season.

Mich Tech 99-47-10
      Ohio State 17-9-3
      BC 10-15
      Merrimack 2-1
      Northern Mich 49-31-8
      St. Law 12-2-1
      North Dakota 87-69-12
      Mich State 51-52-3
      Mich 57-73-11
      Mercyhurst 4-0
      Minny 93-166-23
      Notre Dame 40-18-7
      Penn State 8-13

Comment

Ouch that record against the goofs isn't good. We need a football type run for years to really turn that around.
        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
          Ouch that record against the goofs isn't good. We need a football type run for years to really turn that around.
          That's OK. We won't lose to them anymore and in a little more than 15 years, we'll be ahead. Jeez.
          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

I think we can all agree that what really matters is that the Badgers are 14-13-0 vs. the Goofs in the post season.
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Wisko, it is amazing that they only have 5 national titles for all the regular season success. It does make me laugh a bit with that record against them, we still have more natty titles.

A couple things that stuck out to me on the all-time record list.

We got our 100th W against Tech this year. Only other school UW has beat 100 times is CC, I believe it was 112.
              I didn't realize we had such a good record against Nodak.
              I would have thought we had a winning record against Mich State.
              It's extremely disappointing to know next year the media guide will have Mercyhurst 5-1.

Comment

Timmy Takeover. https://***********/BadgerMHockey pretty funny

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                  Wisko, it is amazing that they only have 5 national titles for all the regular season success. It does make me laugh a bit with that record against them, we still have more natty titles.

A couple things that stuck out to me on the all-time record list.

We got our 100th W against Tech this year. Only other school UW has beat 100 times is CC, I believe it was 112.
                  I didn't realize we had such a good record against Nodak.
                  I would have thought we had a winning record against Mich State.
                  It's extremely disappointing to know next year the media guide will have Mercyhurst 5-1.
                  The Goofs are 5-7 in title games while the Badgers are 6-2. Lost of course to BC in '10, and Nodak in '82, which prevented the Badger Threepeat in '83.

I've always had the notion that the legacy of Badger hockey isn't so much the dominating teams, of which there have been a few, but nowhere near as many as other top programs. What the thing has been is that when the chips are all in and it's all on the line, the boys have come through against the odds and won the Big Games more often than not. It's a legacy of coaching to be sure, but moreso, I've always thought of it as a legacy of a certain kind of character.

It seems a lot of fans are unaware of what a powerhouse Michigan St was for a long time. Ron Mason took them to 19 NCAA's, had 37 All Americans, 3 Hobey winners and a .687 win% in his 23 years as coach. They were pretty awesome.
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                    I didn't follow the UW team in 1983. I definitely knew his name from the last 5-6 years at US Hockey. I am sure Oz and Granato coaching on these teams was because of JJ. USA has been a lot more competitive since he took over the helm. Heard on Posick on WIBA this morning that Granato left the team yesterday and will be gone until after the Olympics (to help deal with JJ's passing and what it means for US hockey). Timing to make JJ funeral tomorrow I am sure was a factor as well.

So we will be without our head coach this weekend and it is up to the Wizard of Oz and Strobel. Connelly was on the bench at UC last Sunday, so I assume he will be taking third coach duties.
                    I followed those teams in the early 80's and was at most of the WCHA tourneys. JJ was a terrific center, strong and hard nosed, fearless and always had his teammates back. And a guy with a lot of skill that you could count on to produce under pressure. Consider in '84, (a team captained by older brother John) his sophomore year, he had more points than Tony Granato, Marty Witiila, Dave Maley and Gary Suter. He had played on the WJ team and after college for several years in the IHL, which was a top league then, and rough as all get out. For some reason he was always just outside the cut for the NHL, but had there been more than the 21 teams at the time, like there are now, there's no doubt he would have had a good NHL carreer. Loved him back then, he was a hell of a hockey player.

On the one hand being without Tony right now isn't the best situation for the boys, but on the other, Oz and Strobie can handle the X's and O's just fine, and at this point, if the team needs help getting motivation to be up for PSU, they aren't going anywhere. I think we'll be ok.
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Dave Lundeen, RIP. **** cancer.
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                        ....and regarding Rob Andringa, on Mike Heller's show this afternoon, he said his cancer is "stage 4 and incurable" but he mentioned manageable or something like that. This is ****ing sickening. 😠

He sounded VERY positive and in good spirits. If anybody is gonna beat ****ing cancer, it's him.
                        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                          ....and regarding Rob Andringa, on Mike Heller's show this afternoon, he said his cancer is "stage 4 and incurable" but he mentioned manageable or something like that. This is ****ing sickening. 😠

He sounded VERY positive and in good spirits. If anybody is gonna beat ****ing cancer, it's him.
                          Oh no!

Depressing news. Rob Andringa and the 90's team are heroes to me.

I hope like hell Rob can pull through somehow.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

I don't know how #****cancer isn't a thing this world couldn't rally around.

I know I'm late to the party, but I started following hockey with the '83 team and JJ was a player that always stuck with me from those years. I don't have much to add outside of what has already been said, but my heart goes out to his family.
                            Last edited by gwhinwi; 01-26-2018, 08:23 AM.
                            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                              On the hockey hour MJ had said he spent Wednesday afternoon with Dave and got him laughing and smiling. I guess with Dave we knew it wasn't going good...

At only 5'8" Lundeen mixed it up with the big boys constantly and still came out on top. He was a fearless player and one tough son of a *****. Godspeed Big Dave.

Terrible to hear Ringo is in such a tough spot. Hard days around the program. Which of course it wouldn't be if there weren't such fantastic people connected to it.
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                                On the hockey hour MJ had said he spent Wednesday afternoon with Dave and got him laughing and smiling. I guess with Dave we knew it wasn't going good...

At only 5'8" Lundeen mixed it up with the big boys constantly and still came out on top. He was a fearless player and one tough son of a *****. Godspeed Big Dave.

Terrible to hear Ringo is in such a tough spot. Hard days around the program. Which of course it wouldn't be if there weren't such fantastic people connected to it.
                                Absolutely. I didn't start following the team until84-85 but was aware of Dave and his three brothers via the Shot And A Goal book and stories from people at Jingles or fellow ticket holders at the Dane.

So many quality people have come through the program, Dave Lundeen and Jim Johannson were clearly a cut above.

Comment

Working...
                                X