This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey T*M2=NCA2*7

That was a fun game to go to. A few observations...

Seamus made a great pass to space on the shorty, and on the eng he took his time and made a great shot, showed a lot of poise there.

Wags looked good put took a dumb penalty after the whistle that negated a PP.

Were the penalties tick-tacky? I don't think I saw one obvious one from the stands, but there is a lot going on when you are there in person.

The (presuming alumni) band did a great job and there were enough students there to make it fun.

The PP had some horrible looks in the 2nd period.

The Culvers @ easttowne closes as 10 now? What a pile of crap. I was denied DOUBLE custard. Not happy. I will be redeeming that today after the women's game. I will not be denied.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by SLUfan442 View Post
      Wisko, My point here is that Hayton seems to be the fall guy here. I will agree that he didn’t look as sharp as he usually is, but I didn’t see him let in a bunch of bad goals either. Has anyone considered he also might have been totally mentally worn out from taking a whole year of classes, and an internship in 99 days during the summer ? Maybe it had no effect, but maybe it did. Players need time off to reenergize and rest. He had none of that. Most goals that I saw were choice scoring chances in the slot, usually resulting from brain dead turnovers in your own zone. Your PK is a disaster, and many of your forwards don’t play two way hockey, some not even one way hockey !!! Your best D guys would be third liners on many teams, or bench warmers in the stands on others. I can’t remember watching a team making so many huge mistakes in their own zone. The Wisconsin team I saw last year up at Appleton looked like a totally different team. Every shift was all out, and they looked very impressive. It’s one of the very few games Hayton didn’t play in. Maybe he was expecting something more like that this season, who knows ? All that’s obvious is the team this year isn’t even close to what you had last year, just like our team. You win games with great defense, and just like SLU this year, your defense is a comedy of errors. Slow, inconsistent, lazy, immature and mistake ridden. I also believe losing Don Granato has done this team enormous damage as it seems to me that your present coaches don’t make the adjustments they should be. SLU might not have made the tournament lately, but I don’t believe the mighty Badgers have done much for a while either. Also don’t forget, that we came down to Madison 0-11 and soundly beat you Saturday Night, in a game where we outplayed you, more or less in every department ! Hayton didn’t get the start, so you can’t pin that on him. So who’s living in the past here, cos I personally don’t think your programs going anywhere anytime soon !
      I’m not saying this team doesn’t have faults, but your view of Hayton as angelic in the first half is woefully misguided. Didn’t let in a bunch of bad goals? Bull. This is literally the first weekend that I have only been able to criticize him only once for dropping to the butterfly as soon as the puck entered the zone, and then boffing a puck over or off his shoulder into the net. It was very clear that it took just one weekend for other teams to scout that and start shooting pucks at his shoulder, and in, with regularity. I’m glad he had a good weekend, and I hope he keeps it up, but to act like he’s simply a poor unfortunate soul in this undertaking, makes you sound ridiculous. When a player comes in as a blue chipper, there are high expectations that come along, and stress or other issues off the ice are inconsequential to fans who have been promised greatness vs. mediocrity from a player whose arrival disrupted our existing goalie situation with a promise of much better goaltending. (I.e. The Jurusik and Berry tandem wasn’t perfect by any means, but they were an important part of the team’s chemistry- had bonded and supported this group to results none of us expected last year. We also can’t dismiss that unceremoniously dropping a player who was a part of that team’s success (Jurusik), and had bonded closely with many of these players in his two years in Madison, to bring in a new guy just to win, who then didn’t help us win, could have played a part in this team not gelling the way we’ve wanted them to.)

Comment

Originally posted by SLUfan442 View Post
        Wisko, My point here is that Hayton seems to be the fall guy here. I will agree that he didn’t look as sharp as he usually is, but I didn’t see him let in a bunch of bad goals either. Has anyone considered he also might have been totally mentally worn out from taking a whole year of classes, and an internship in 99 days during the summer ? Maybe it had no effect, but maybe it did. Players need time off to reenergize and rest. He had none of that. Most goals that I saw were choice scoring chances in the slot, usually resulting from brain dead turnovers in your own zone. Your PK is a disaster, and many of your forwards don’t play two way hockey, some not even one way hockey !!! Your best D guys would be third liners on many teams, or bench warmers in the stands on others. I can’t remember watching a team making so many huge mistakes in their own zone. The Wisconsin team I saw last year up at Appleton looked like a totally different team. Every shift was all out, and they looked very impressive. It’s one of the very few games Hayton didn’t play in. Maybe he was expecting something more like that this season, who knows ? All that’s obvious is the team this year isn’t even close to what you had last year, just like our team. You win games with great defense, and just like SLU this year, your defense is a comedy of errors. Slow, inconsistent, lazy, immature and mistake ridden. I also believe losing Don Granato has done this team enormous damage as it seems to me that your present coaches don’t make the adjustments they should be. SLU might not have made the tournament lately, but I don’t believe the mighty Badgers have done much for a while either. Also don’t forget, that we came down to Madison 0-11 and soundly beat you Saturday Night, in a game where we outplayed you, more or less in every department ! Hayton didn’t get the start, so you can’t pin that on him. So who’s living in the past here, cos I personally don’t think your programs going anywhere anytime soon !
        You're tone deaf. Your point has been answered twice. For the third time, nobody has said it's all Kyle's fault. But he hasn't been part of the solution either. Going to the break he had 17 starts, in what are probably his six worst, he gave up 24 goals on 134 shots. Over those he faced just 22 shots/game, had an .821 sv% and 4.00ga/gm. You can spin it however you want but that is not All American play in net. There's plenty of blame to go around, but teams getting totally dominated typically give up a lot more than 22 shots/game while averaging 34 in those games.

The issue is we initially expected to have a building year and be a bubble team, as we had offensive depth but were weak in goal. The addition of Kyle addressed the biggest deficiency and expectations rose. Those expectations haven't been met. But what is most frustrating is that our so called "slow, inconsistent, lazy, immature (btw- our freshman are mostly actually 17- 19 yr. old freshman, they don't already have 3 kids and a mortgage like they mostly do in your league) and mistake ridden" team" is sitting 20th in PWR and is two measly wins over lousy teams from 13-14th and in an at large position. You promised us a guy that would steal games. He's stolen zero games and has been very average.

I posted at the break that I thought Hayton has had no break for the last year and that probably had worn him down. Clearly his play wasn't good in the first half or you or I or anyone else wouldn't have to try and think up reasons/excuses as to why it wasn't good. You make the point yourself.

Lastly, I have a hard time taking you seriously when you claim the Saints outplayed the Badgers in every department in their win. You had 6 goals on 13 shots. Kyle played the last 17 minutes and faced one shot. Which was a goal. Badgers were awful and still had 37 shots including 29-7 in the last 40 minutes. You won and deserved the win. Congratulations, but don't come in here and tell me how you dominated play. And I wouldn't worry yourself too much about where our program is going. Plenty to worry about in Canton. So much that even I would feel bad trolling you about it. And I don't actually have a conscience. Just remember to order your FF tickets for the next 3 years. You'll get to watch us play.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Huge weekend. I think this team is going to turn the season around this weekend. 10 games left and all 5 teams are ahead of UW in pairwise. Everything is in their hands to change the direction of this season. I think they can do it, just a feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
            Huge weekend. I think this team is going to turn the season around this weekend. 10 games left and all 5 teams are ahead of UW in pairwise. Everything is in their hands to change the direction of this season. I think they can do it, just a feeling.
            I love the attitude, I just don't have much to hang my hat on that they will turn the corner.

I wish TG would just stick to some lines and see what happens. There were times on the forecheck on Saturday you could tell the guys on the lines didn't quite know where eachother were going be as they attacked. On the other hand, MJ hasn't touched the top 2 lines all year (except due to injury) and only sub'ed a wing on the 3rd line and ran 4 players through the 4th line. The D pairs haven't changed at all. Sure the women's game is not as competitive, but consistency helps creativity, and of course it could breed complacency as well, but has not at this time.

Comment

I'm going to Chicago with a "busfull" organized by Wisconsin Hockey Backers; anybody else heading to United Center on Sunday? I'm quite interested to see the attendance and how the crowd is split.

Wouldn't this be a great time to turn it around by taking a couple from N.Dame on the road?
              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                I'm going to Chicago with a "busfull" organized by Wisconsin Hockey Backers; anybody else heading to United Center on Sunday? I'm quite interested to see the attendance and how the crowd is split.

Wouldn't this be a great time to turn it around by taking a couple from N.Dame on the road?
                The wife and I are making a weekend out of it. Driving down on Friday and staying for 2 nights. Going to do a few days of the typical touristy stuff, go to the game, and drive back up Sunday evening.

Not sure what areas are set aside for which fan groups, but we got a decent price on seats in Section 110.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                  It sure would but I'm a bit defeated at this point even after the win. They NEED to stop taking dumb penalties, crank up the PP and get great goaltending.

Comment

Predictions for the weekend?

I will go with loss and tie, lose shootout, 1 point out of 6. Just can't be optimistic until I see some some solid back to back games over multiple weeks....

I expect a tiny crowd at the United Center. We will see.....
                    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post

I will go with loss and tie, lose shootout, 1 point out of 6. Just can't be optimistic until I see some some solid back to back games over multiple weeks....

UND sweep in regulation, otherwise I agree 100 with your every word.

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post

Agree on all counts.

I hope UW is at least competitive and somehow they can get 7000 or more in the UC
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I'll go with a loss tonight. As far as Sunday.....heart says close win. Head says loss.

Attendance at the UC....7 to 8K sounds about right. Maybe a bunch of Blackhawks fans that usually don't go to games because of the cost of tickets will show up since prices are reasonable for this. Even if there's 10,000 it will look empty since it's so big at 20,000+.

I wonder if Jim Cornelison will sing the National Anthem?
                          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

A win or tie would be a surprise, even if the boys play well, which of course we haven't seen them do twice in a row for some time. If they play well, I'd say the best chance would be tonight with ND coming off a break. I think the Badgers are a little better team themselves on a small sheet, perhaps because it forces them to play faster and they have skilled guys that can, plus, they don't get lost in the D zone so easily.

In the past the Badgers have had a knack for getting up for #1's. (IIRC, I think Eaves had a winning record against #1s?) It would be nice to see our best players play their best. As we've said all year: When they're good, they're pretty darn good. Not holding my breath for being good though.

The opportunities are all right in front of them still, so Let's GO Red.
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              The opportunities are all right in front of them still, so Let's GO Red.
                              Love the attitude.

Boy was I ****ed last Saturday night. Rolled into the Culvers @ Easttowne last Saturday night for double custard (had men's and women's tickets) @ 10:04....they were closed, they started closing @ 10 on 1/5. I am still fuming, what a pile of crap. The funny thing is they usually were decently busy at those times when we were there, I could understand if it was dead. I had to stop at Kwik Trip for frozen goodies on Columbus instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                Love the attitude.

Boy was I ****ed last Saturday night. Rolled into the Culvers @ Easttowne last Saturday night for double custard (had men's and women's tickets) @ 10:04....they were closed, they started closing @ 10 on 1/5. I am still fuming, what a pile of crap. The funny thing is they usually were decently busy at those times when we were there, I could understand if it was dead. I had to stop at Kwik Trip for frozen goodies on Columbus instead.
                                I keep wanting to roll into the Culvers here in Georgia after a 5-goal game is over looking for custard and seeing if the owners will honor it.
                                Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Working...
                                X