X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey T*M2=NCA2*7

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
    On the other hand, you cannot give up 4 goals on 14 shots, bro'.

#GoalieHell
    True. Although this wasn't one of the typical 'dominate play and still manage to give up a bunch of softies' loss that we've seen before. They just got whipped all over the ice. That's kind of new.

Whether it's Donny or not, it definitely seems as though the staff is not really connecting with the players. Eaves was often criticized for exercising too much control and then losing. Tony certainly seems way more laissez faire but is still losing. Difficult to figure.

Tony does love scrambling the lines though --> Now for something completely different:

Ustaski Frederic Wagner

Ford Hughes S.Dhooghe

Hurley Malone Johnson

Weissbach Baker J.Dhooghe

Tischke Ess

Kalynuk Linhart

Greenway Inamoto

Hayton
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Playing better tonight (easy to do after last night) but still down and another shorty allowed.... Ugh.

Edit* I guess that wasn't a shorty....
      Last edited by WiscTJK; 01-06-2018, 07:55 PM.
      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Thank god the Wild play tonight. I need a decent hockey team in my life.

Comment

Late second goal allowed, early third. And probably the back breaker. Frustrating.
          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Kaly is having a nice game.

Comment

Ped state vs Wisconsin the last 3 years reminds me of CC under Lucia when they just skated around Wisconsin like they were pylons. Peterson x2, gerranazzo, Rud et al

All I hear is psu forwards names dominating puck possession in the majority of these games
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I was looking at the Ped St. roster. 1 WI kid,1 from MN, 1 from MI,5 Canucks, 3 euros, all the rest from the eastern US.

It's got to be the coaches AND the system to get kids from all over the map to be that good.

I just don't like that ****ing place and hate losing to them in anything.
                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Geez the 3rd goal both D got caught way too deep on the 4 on 4, and on the 2nd goal the D did not stop the cross ice pass on the 2 on 1.

Tony must have said too much on the bench minor after the refs clearly ignored the penalty JD drew late in the 3rd. Disappointing to have a coach potentially throw a game away - if that was what the call was.

I believe Hughes took a dumb penalty that turned a pp to the 4 on 4 referenced above. JD took a dumb penalty in the big scrum in the 2nd but drew one later on.

Hayton played well enough, but took a dumb penalty.

Too much dumb to get a W tonight.
                  Last edited by Timothy A; 01-06-2018, 10:01 PM.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I wouldn't say the boys played well, but at least they played with urgency and fought hard uphill the whole way, which got them a better result than their actual play maybe deserved. Can't help but think if they battled with that intensity every night they'd have 4-5 more wins and be meeting expectations for the season. Hayton played with some confidence and I thought looked very good.

Looking at the team stats and over the last 14 games (Nodak series 'til now) here's three guys that are a mystery to me:

Malone - 7pts .50/gm (-2) (3 vs. Mercyhurst; 1 in last 6)

Johnson - 6 pts .42/gm (-5) (2 vs. Mercyhurst; 1 in last 6)

Frederic - 6 pts. .46/gm (-6) (3 pts 6x5; .23/gm 6x6)

Take away the Mercyhurst game and the PP and these three are just below Jarod Zirbel production numbers while playing 2-3x the minutes. Frederic's pedigree speaks for itself; but for comparison, Zirbel, Johnson, and Malone all last played in the USHL in '14-'15. Jarod Zirbel was 240th in points. Malone was 11th in scoring and Johnson was 9th in pts./gm. in an injury shortened season. Virtually every player in the top 25 in scoring that year is in the NHL, the AHL, or at or above 1pt./gm in the NCAA. What are the odds the Badgers picked the only guys in the top of the USHL who couldn't score in college, then also picked the only 1st rounder in the draft who can't score in college either.

Nope... they are good players. But they're not producing. Why?
                    Originally posted by WiscTJK
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                    Originally posted by Timothy A
                    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Need a better coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                        Need a better coach.
                        Jury is still out. Oz hasn't lost the recruiting touch and Tony has the ingredients to be a great coach. The have one recruiting class playing for them, wait at least until they have 3 of their own classes to judge their performance as coaches.

The goaltending and defense has been abysmal and now it seems after averaging over 3 gpg they can't score in the past 12-14 games.

Have they changed Don Granato's system?

What does Mark Strobel bring to the team? Is he or Oz the D coach?
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                          Need a better coach.
                          I'm looking for a winking eye emoji; I hope you're just being funny.
                          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• This team has enough talent to make the NCAAs. If they don’t that is absolutely on the coaches. We were 6-2-0 at one point. Since then an abysmal 4-8-3 including bad losses to St Lawrence, Michigan St, and Mercyhurst. We have a sub .500 conference record. A sub .500 home record. These coaches are being paid handsomely to get results and they are lacking this year.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                              This team has enough talent to make the NCAAs. If they don’t that is absolutely on the coaches. We were 6-2-0 at one point. Since then an abysmal 4-8-3 including bad losses to St Lawrence, Michigan St, and Mercyhurst. We have a sub .500 conference record. A sub .500 home record. These coaches are being paid handsomely to get results and they are lacking this year.
                              12 total wins the prior 2 season and pretty poor recruiting under the Eaves regime in the end are the hand that was dealt. 20 wins in year one was a little bit of fools gold compliments of Kunin and Besse being pretty good college players and a little smoke and mirrors. The reality of our current roster is we have 3 freshman on D playing every night which is not a recipe for success unless you have really strong upper class D....which we don't) and have not been particularly good in net (which I don't know why Hayton has not translated well to Madison).

Comment

• Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                                12 total wins the prior 2 season and pretty poor recruiting under the Eaves regime in the end are the hand that was dealt. 20 wins in year one was a little bit of fools gold compliments of Kunin and Besse being pretty good college players and a little smoke and mirrors. The reality of our current roster is we have 3 freshman on D playing every night which is not a recipe for success unless you have really strong upper class D....which we don't) and have not been particularly good in net (which I don't know why Hayton has not translated well to Madison).
                                At least last year they actually played like an offensive team. This year they’ve been sitting back ala Eaves’ style teams, courtesy of D Granato -> M Strobel I’m sure. Which is also why the offensive GF/G has dropped and defensive GA/G as well. I can’t even blame the freshman defensemen. They have looked better than most upperclassmen (Linhart/Davison). Kalynuk is our best all around defenseman. Tischke is stellar defensively ala Brodin for the Wild, but leaves you wanting more offensively. I thought Greenway looked noticeably better on Saturday after knocking the rust off the day before.

Our forwards are a disaster. I think part of that problem might be Tony’s line combinations. I mean, he put Ustaski with Frederic and Wagner on the top line for Saturday. Ustaski sucked the offense out of Kunin and Frederic last year and he has done literally zilch, 2pts 14gp, to warrant being on the top line. Our top goal scorer, Tarek Baker, has been in a bottom 6 role all season. He deserves to a shot in the top 6. It’s time to load up the lines:

Hughes-Frederic-Wagner
                                Weissbach-Baker-Johnson
                                Freytag-Malone-Dhooghe
                                Ustaski-Ford-Zirbel

Kalynuk-Greenway
                                Tischke-Ess
                                Inamoto-Linhart
                                Davison

Faceoffs continue to be a HUGE problem.
                                Friday 28 out of 67 (42%)
                                Saturday 32 out of 76 (42%)

Penn St is also kryptonite to the slow thinking badger players.

Comment

Working...
                                X