X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey T*M2=NCA2*7

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
    Anybody else ever go to the old Winter Sports Center in GF?
    '83 WCHA's when it was two game total goals. Badgers's were 0-3-1 vs. ND during the season. Tied 1-1 in the first game and tied 5-5 after 3 in the second. Cheli broke Sue's heart and ended her season in the 3rd OT. One of the most most satisfying wins ever.

They swept the goofs at Williams the next week, and of course crushed St. Lawrence at home, then beat Providence and Harvard back out at the Winter Sports Center for Coach Sauer's 1st title.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

I totally get why current UW students might not give a shyt about old Badger/Sioux history. They know places like Ann Arbor, Columbus, Iowa City and Evanston and a lot of national success in BB and FB. Grand Forks cannot come close to competing, and Michigan, Penn State, et al will soon replace old WCHA rivalries. And UND is growing some good rivalries with some very good NCHC programs. But there something counterculture about hockey, and I have to hope the old fires will still burn for a while. The waterbottle fight would never happen in today's world, and that's probably a good thing. But the passion . . .

And believe me, UND students have always loved this rivalry. Not as intense/angry as the Sioux/gopher rivalry, maybe, but better.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
        I totally get why current UW students might not give a shyt about old Badger/Sioux history. They know places like Ann Arbor, Columbus, Iowa City and Evanston and a lot of national success in BB and FB. Grand Forks cannot come close to competing, and Michigan, Penn State, et al will soon replace old WCHA rivalries. And UND is growing some good rivalries with some very good NCHC programs. But there something counterculture about hockey, and I have to hope the old fires will still burn for a while. The waterbottle fight would never happen in today's world, and that's probably a good thing. But the passion . . .

And believe me, UND students have always loved this rivalry. Not as intense/angry as the Sioux/gopher rivalry, maybe, but better.

Well I for one prefer this rivalry over all others. I'm glad that both sides are making an effort to schedule it.

That said though, I'm not sure the juice is there anymore other than from a historical perspective with us older folks who remember.

Anyway, hope y'all don't outnumber us tonight although it's quite possible you will.

I'll be there doing my part.
        Last edited by Gurtholfin; 11-03-2017, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          Well I for one prefer this rivalry over all others. I'm glad that both sides are making an effort to schedule it.

That said though, I'm not sure the juice is there anymore other than from a historical perspective with us older folks who remember.

Anyway, hope y'all don't outnumber us tonight although it's quite possible you will.

50 miles away and it kills me I won't be able to be there this weekend.

Would you do a little favor for a fellow USCHO poster? Cheer a few Sawks goals for me. I don't expect you to jump up--just maybe look down at your feet like you're disappointed but yell WOOOHOOOO! YEAH BABY!!!.

They don't have to be big goals, and I'm sure you will have a lot to choose from.

Comment

50 miles away and it kills me I won't be able to be there this weekend.

What? The oxen come up lame?

And I'm sure there'll be plenty of green in the KC to cheer if you-who get a goal.

Comment

What? The oxen come up lame?

And I'm sure there'll be plenty of green in the KC to cheer if you-who get a goal.
              The game thread for this series used to be great reading.

Comment

Not to worried about the ratio tonight. It'll be interesting to see how much of Saturday's increased crowd is because of Hawks fans, or more Badgers fans coming out of the woodwork.

Anyway, I hope you "do your part" by being extra friendly and hospitable. That means you correct them when they yell "Sioux," because they bought tickets too, so they get to cheer for their team........but sometimes they need a little help! Our help! "Hawks" is more phonetic than "Sioux," so it shouldn't be too hard, but be accommodating!

Comment

Sounded like Baker might be able to go tonight.

Just hours away from renewing this rivalry! Man, I really wish I could be there to see it all-- The water bottles all filled and lined up neatly behind the bench... the Swat Teams and National Guard troops deploying around the Visitor's locker room in anticipation of the handcuffs being removed...

It's a Great Day for Hockey!
                  Originally posted by WiscTJK
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                  Originally posted by Timothy A
                  Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                    Sounded like Baker might be able to go tonight.

Just hours away from renewing this rivalry! Man, I really wish I could be there to see it all-- The water bottles all filled and lined up neatly behind the bench... the Swat Teams and National Guard troops deploying around the Visitor's locker room in anticipation of the handcuffs being removed...

It's a Great Day for Hockey!

Actually, leg irons, straight jackets and catheter bags.

Comment

I was at that heartbreaker, as well as the two January games in 2000 when Hukalo shoved two OT daggers in Sioux hearts everywhere. Those were among the best two college hockey games I've ever seen, even though the wrong team won both of them. Those nights were both electric. Heatley, Reinprecht, Panzer, Goehring . . . good stuff.
                      I was there both nights too. In the 3rd deck because those were the only place to get four tickets two months in advance. The euphoria of back-to-back 6-5 overtime winners against your hated rivals was incredible. The feeling sticks with you for a lifetime (week, at least for 17 years so far).

Comment

I was at that heartbreaker, as well as the two January games in 2000 when Hukalo shoved two OT daggers in Sioux hearts everywhere. Those were among the best two college hockey games I've ever seen, even though the wrong team won both of them. Those nights were both electric. Heatley, Reinprecht, Panzer, Goehring . . . good stuff.
                        Three best hockey games ever played at the Kohl Center. The few games that have had the energy and intensity of big games at the Coliseum. The place exploded when Robbie scored that goal. As you said they were electric. With all disrespect to Minnesota, this has always been my favorite rival too. There's just something about the Sioux.

Drop the puck!

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                          '83 WCHA's when it was two game total goals. Badgers's were 0-3-1 vs. ND during the season. Tied 1-1 in the first game and tied 5-5 after 3 in the second. Cheli broke Sue's heart and ended her season in the 3rd OT. One of the most most satisfying wins ever.

They swept the goofs at Williams the next week, and of course crushed St. Lawrence at home, then beat Providence and Harvard back out at the Winter Sports Center for Coach Sauer's 1st title.
                          I believe that was the series that had the disallowed goal too. From what I remember of the Saturday game was that Cheli tied the game with under a minute left in regulation. Then in the third OT somebody (can't remember who at this point) scored what seemed to be the series ending goal. Gino had the guy's stick measured and it was deemed to have an illegal curve. So the goal came off the board and the Badgers went on the penalty kill. Only to be saved by a shorty from Paul Houck I think. Definitely a classic UW/UND series.
                          Last edited by Great Day for Hockey; 11-03-2017, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Great Day for Hockey View Post
                            I believe that was the series that had the disallowed goal too. From what I remember of the Saturday game was that Cheli tied the game with under a minute left in regulation. Then in the third OT somebody (can't remember who at this point) scored what seemed to be the series ending goal. Gino had the guy's stick measured and it was deemed to have an illegal curve. So the goal came off the board and the Badgers went on the penalty kill. Only to be saved by a shorty from Paul Houck I think. Definitely a classic UW/UND series.
                            That game is the first hockey game that I actually remember. I was at a friends house and they had TV's going in every room so that you could watch it no matter where you were. I was hooked forever after that game. Amazing intensity and great hockey.
                            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

At the luncheon today, "G" said Baker WILL be in the line-up. He said the injury at first appeared to be worse than it actually was.

Coach Berry seems like a good ****; I didn't realize his playing carreer. He had a few stories before he had to leave. One thing the Sioux fans there along with our fans had in common, was the hatred for the goofs and especially Lucy for stiffing our luncheon last year and NoDak's as well. Make NO mistake about it, don't call them the Fighting Hawks!

If you can make it, you've got to go to these luncheons. They are only about once per month and are about 1½ hours. I left the Coliseum Bar wanting to go home and strap on my Bauer Custom Supreme 1000's, grab my Christian "SuperStick2000" Corey Millen model, slip on the ol' Cooper SK 600S (sans pussie shield or bird cage) and kick some ***!

*I really do have that equipment, boys. That gear was from the 80's.*
                              Last edited by MadCityRich; 11-03-2017, 04:17 PM.
                              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by Great Day for Hockey View Post
                                . Gino had the guy's stick measured and it was deemed to have an illegal curve. So the goal came off the board and the Badgers went on the penalty kill.
                                Wasn't there another stick measuring incident in the late 80's or early 90's as well with the sue?
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X