This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    I find it funny in this day and age (electronic, connected) that a kid from Steven's Point would think that Madison is too big.

I haven't been to Columbus, but is it a lot smaller?

Either way... glad they ended up here.

Anther kid that my boy played against and that's always fun to see.
    Being a current student at UWSP I could definitely see how people would think Madison is huge. For myself, growing up in Mount Horeb, 20 minutes or so from Madison, and spending my last two years of high school on the outskirts of Indianapolis, big cities don’t really bother me anymore. Around Stevens Point the biggest city is Wausau at almost 40,000 people. That’s less than the student population of UW-Madison.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey T*M2=NCA2*7

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
      Being a current student at UWSP I could definitely see how people would think Madison is huge. For myself, growing up in Mount Horeb, 20 minutes or so from Madison, and spending my last two years of high school on the outskirts of Indianapolis, big cities don’t really bother me anymore. Around Stevens Point the biggest city is Wausau at almost 40,000 people. That’s less than the student population of UW-Madison.

I get that, but he's not coming from Coloma and looking at Milwaukee.

Point is at least a decent sized small city.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        Another kid that my boy played against and that's always fun to see.

Actually played against both, but this is the only shot I have of one of them (Brock) and my son in the same frame...

I knew they were D-1 but it was OSU at the time (only Brock was on this team, both the following season) and I never really made it much of a point to shoot guys on the opponents as I was shooting my kid and his teammates.

That said, more and more opponents will be D-1 in the next few years and I wonder how many of them I have.

Comment

They were speculating on Sirius XM NHL radio this AM that Quenneville might get fired this spring if the Hawks don't do a lot in the playoffs/make the playoffs. It would be sad to see DG lose his gig after 1 season, but I think he'll land on his feet in the NHL somewhere. MCR vouches for MS's passion and commitment, but I still think we're missing DG a lot this year.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

For those already wanting to look ahead to next season, here is what I have been able to track down about scheduling.

For the 2018-2019 season:
            We have 1 committed home series with Boston College
            We have 2 committed away series with North Dakota and Clarkson/St Lawrence
            We will also give up 1 home game to "host" the return trip to Chicago vs Notre Dame

That gives us 6 non-conference games so far. With the expanded league schedule, we only have space for 10.

I would guess that we will see another "1 for none" visitor from the AHA or WCHA. Maybe we'll see another visit from ASU.

Maybe we'll get into another 4 year/2 team rotation with Denver/CC or a pair of teams out east. I'd love to see some new names show up on the schedule. How about an Army/Princeton combo, or maybe Brown/Providence, or how about something closer to home with MTU/NMU

Looking out to future years:
            In 2019-2020
            We get Clarkson at home to close out the 4 year rotation with Clarkson/St Lawrence
            We go to UNO to repay their visit from 16-17
            We go out east for 1 each at Merrimack and Boston College to wrap up that 4 year rotation

We also had a 1 for 1 with Michigan Tech that was supposed to be 17-18 / 18-19 that got pushed out indefinitely.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              They were speculating on Sirius XM NHL radio this AM that Quenneville might get fired this spring if the Hawks don't do a lot in the playoffs/make the playoffs. It would be sad to see DG lose his gig after 1 season, but I think he'll land on his feet in the NHL somewhere. MCR vouches for MS's passion and commitment, but I still think we're missing DG a lot this year.
              I think if coach Q gets fired, then DG is the next Hawks coach. I believe he was brought in to replace Q if things went south this season.

Add on to this comment, coach Q will not be the coach next season for the Hawks. It is just a matter of when they fire him.
              Last edited by bucky15; 02-13-2018, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                I think if coach Q gets fired, then DG is the next Hawks coach. I believe he was brought in to replace Q if things went south this season.

Add on to this comment, coach Q will not be the coach next season for the Hawks. It is just a matter of when they fire him.
                Good chance on both counts; but pretty tough to imagine they'd whack Q after everything he's done. He can only do with what he's got and I think they've been in cap trouble for a couple years. Then to bring back Saad and Sharp? I don't think those were Q's moves, but in the words of Tony Soprano;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccRVYg2Jni0
                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  I agree on DG, and I think OSU got the better of the deal landing Steve Miller when MS left for UW.
                  gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                    I agree on DG, and I think OSU got the better of the deal landing Steve Miller when MS left for UW.
                    I agree on this one, OSU nailed the hire with Miller. DG>SM>MS

Comment

Was DG hired an like an extra coach or something or was he not hired directly by Q? I thought I recalled it was a weird deal.

Comment

If the Blackhawks fire Quennville for what is clearly the fault of management then that'd be hilariously stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                          Good chance on both counts; but pretty tough to imagine they'd whack Q after everything he's done. He can only do with what he's got and I think they've been in cap trouble for a couple years. Then to bring back Saad and Sharp? I don't think those were Q's moves, but in the words of Tony Soprano;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccRVYg2Jni0
                          It's a cold cold business. The house is going to be cleaned, it's just a matter of time to see how much is put on the side of the road.

Sharp is no longer an NHL player. It's painful too watch.

Tim, the hiring of DG was a weird deal in relation to coach Q. I believe they completely went around him, which is one of the reasons I think DG will be the next head coach for the Hawks.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                            If the Blackhawks fire Quennville for what is clearly the fault of management then that'd be hilariously stupid.

It might be a factor of needing a new voice.

Q's message might just be tuned out by now.

I'm good either way. The Hawks are at a crossroads.

And yeah... they keep bringing in the retreads (Sharpe, Campbell, Oduya, Ladd...) and they haven't worked out.

I sure as hell wouldn't have let Panarin go either. You don't move scoring talent like that for an overpriced "power" forward.
                            Last edited by Gurtholfin; 02-13-2018, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• So it turns out the guy on the Jumbotron with the really long hair is actually someone I went to high school with and played hockey with! Dude looks way different now with the long hair and the beard I almost didn't recognize him.

Comment

Tim, the hiring of DG was a weird deal in relation to coach Q. I believe they completely went around him, which is one of the reasons I think DG will be the next head coach for the Hawks.
                                Sure looks like he's the successor then.

Comment

Working...
                                X