X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey T*M2=NCA2*7

Originally posted by burd View Post
    Sioux jerseys/shirts are well received in any arena. And you will feel . . . elevated.
    Thankfully he found another friend to go with so I am out. For the record I have very little green in my wardrobe, and even less maroon, just 1 shirt, a cool Mustang shirt I got as a gift.

Now I can get home from work tomorrow, watch the dvr'ed women's game, then the men's game live. Life is good.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
      OK Wisko, I know you stated this somewhere before, but what is PDO, Corsi, and Fenwick and what do they indicate?

Sure, PDO is a team's Save % plus their Shot %. For example a team has a .900 sv% and scores on 10% of their shots on goal. PDO = 100. In the NHL (and probably in NCAA) this number always regresses toward 100 over time. So if your PDO is 106 it is unlikely your team can sustain that high save% and/or high shot% for a long time and it is likely one or both will drop some. Conversely if a team's PDO is 95 it is also unlikely overly bad goaltending and/or a very low shot % will remain over time. The team will play better D, a goalie will stop more, they'll get some more pucks to go in, something. What it indicates is a measure of how lucky a team has been in their games. Between 98-102 is in the ball park. Higher or lower and we might say a team has been very lucky/unlucky. ND has a very high PDO of 105.37. The Badgers have a very middling 100.24 PDO.

Corsi is simply a team's percentage of total shot attempts vs. their opponents shot attempts. If team A has 60 shot attempts and team B has 40 shot attempts for a total of 100 in the game, Team A has a 60 Corsi for, team B a 40 Corsi for. Fenwick works the same but it is based on unblocked shot attempts, so all blocked shots don't count in the math. What they both are a surrogate for is puck possession. Winning teams control the puck and play more than their opponent. Losing teams typically don't.

The Badgers are ranked 10th in Corsi and 8th in Fenwick. ND is ranked 47th in Corsi and 46th in Fenwick. They are one of only a couple teams with a winning record to be below 50 Corsi for.
      Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 12-07-2017, 03:55 PM.
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

For anyone wondering, Corsi and Fenwick are names of people (which is why NHL.com went with abbreviations instead of those names). PDO doesn't stand for anything; it was made up by someone on a forum.

And as much as I appreciate the usefulness of watching for unsustainable rates of scoring or getting scored on, I have a hard time convincing myself of PDO's usefulness. Whenever I see an informative application of it, whoever's talking/writing always looks at save% and shooting% separately. After all, they're entirely unrelated. For example, a team shooting percentage of 14% shouldn't be seen as any more or less sustainable based on the performance of that team's goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
          Seconded. All these acronyms are just nuts to figure out.
          Probably in part because Corsi, Fenwick, and PDO aren't acronyms for anything.

Corsi is named for for former Sabres (and Blues) goaltending coach Jim Corsi. The Guy (Tim Barnes alias Vic Ferrari) that came up with the stat had heard Buffalo's GM on the radio talking about tracking shot attempts as a way to gauge goalie workload. He didn't like the GM's name so looked at the Sabres website and liked Jim Corsi's name and mustache, so he called it Corsi. Very oddly, it turned out it was actually Jim Corsi who came up with the idea that his GM was talking about, so Vic Ferrari accidentally named it correctly.

Fenwick is named after Blogger Matt Fenwick who proposed the stat.

PDO is named after blogger Brian King's Counterstrike gaming alias.

It all makes perfect sense when you think about it.

Also DC posted on this while I was writing. But I'm leaving it.
          Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 12-07-2017, 07:46 PM.
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
            For anyone wondering, Corsi and Fenwick are names of people (which is why NHL.com went with abbreviations instead of those names). PDO doesn't stand for anything; it was made up by someone on a forum.

And as much as I appreciate the usefulness of watching for unsustainable rates of scoring or getting scored on, I have a hard time convincing myself of PDO's usefulness. Whenever I see an informative application of it, whoever's talking/writing always looks at save% and shooting% separately. After all, they're entirely unrelated. For example, a team shooting percentage of 14% shouldn't be seen as any more or less sustainable based on the performance of that team's goalie.
            They aren't totally unconnected if you think about how the game is played. As an example if you have forwards all hanging out high in the zone waiting for breakouts they're likely to give up more odd man situations down low, making it tough on their own goalie. But they are also likely to get more odd man situations the the other way, giving them a higher shot %.

Also Todd tweeted earlier that Jack will get the nod tomorrow night between the pipes.
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

Wondering if Linus will be back in the lineup?
              Good news!

Asked Todd and he said Linus should be in the lineup tomorrow.
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

The Badgers are ranked 10th in Corsi and 8th in Fenwick. ND is ranked 47th in Corsi and 46th in Fenwick. They are one of only a couple teams with a winning record to be below 50 Corsi for.
                So we are ranked higher in shots attempted versus shots against, like in the top ten and golden domers are rated in the bottom 15? So that would mean we have a chance with some luck to pull off a sweep.
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Game Day vs. the Irish!

To start it off, here's a cool pic of a Leprechaun trap!
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

So we are ranked higher in shots attempted versus shots against, like in the top ten and golden domers are rated in the bottom 15? So that would mean we have a chance with some luck to pull off a sweep.
                    We have the puck much more than our opponents. They have the puck much less than their opponents. It's an anomaly to not have the puck a lot and still win a lot. So far it hasn't seemed to bother them much though. Largely because they've given up 4 goals total in their last seven games, with 4 shutouts.

I think you said earlier that more or less we could beat anybody, which I think is entirely true. The Good Badgers can win any game against anyone in the country. Question is, will the Good Badgers be at the Kohl Center tonight when the puck drops? I'd like to think so, and if they are, I feel good about our chances tonight.
                    Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 12-08-2017, 07:46 AM.
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

We have the puck much more than our opponents. They have the puck much less than their opponents. It's an anomaly to not have the puck a lot and still win a lot. So far it hasn't seemed to bother them much though. Largely because they've given up 4 goals total in their last seven games, with 4 shutouts.

I think you said earlier that more or less we could beat anybody, which I think is entirely true. The Good Badgers can win any game against anyone in the country. Question is, will the Good Badgers be at the Kohl Center tonight when the puck drops? I'd like to think so, and if they are, I feel good about our chances tonight.
                      Going tonight and hopefully they can come out and skate around Rudy!
                      Last edited by WiscTJK; 12-08-2017, 08:40 AM.
                      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

Going tonight and hopefully they can come out and skate around Rudy!

I will be there also.

Fun fact: I went to Joliet Catholic... where Rudy also went.

I've always despised Notre Dame.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                          I will be there also.

Fun fact: I went to Joliet Catholic... where Rudy also went.

I've always despised Notre Dame.
                          Ok, you grew up in Illinois so how did you become a thinner lover here in Wisconsin?

Comment

Ok, you grew up in Illinois so how did you become a thinner lover here in Wisconsin?

Dad is from Milwaukee (went to UW), mom is from Reedsburg (nursing school in Madison).

Dad was a pretty domineering sports fan and I was raised a Badger/Packers/Bucks/Brewers fan. And I couldn't have been happier to be all that behind enemy lines.

Wasn't the best in the 80s when I was in high school and the Bears were good, but it's been great since the early 90s.

Have lived in Wisconsin since late 89.

Another fun fact... got into Badger hockey by watching the PBS rebroadcasts at both grandparents' houses after everyone had gone to bed.

EDIT: Oh yeah and dad didn't give two craps about hockey (still doesn't), so he didn't care that I was a Blackhawks fan. First game at the old stadium in 83.
                            Last edited by Gurtholfin; 12-08-2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

We also used to come up for Badger football games in the late 70s/early 80s. Can still remember those golden September afternoons. Burgers at the Copper Grid.

Go to Brewers games against the Sox at Commisky. Bucks games at the old Chicago Stadium.

Even saw Badger hoops at Northwestern.

I paid my dues down there.

Comment

Well, I grew up near Manitowoc. No hockey. I did see some UW replays on PBS in the late 80's. Went to UW Madison and started attending games and fell in love with college hockey. Many a fun game attending as a student at the coliseum. They had the students seated by the opposing parents back then.

Comment

Working...
                                X