This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey T*M2=NCA2*7

Ugh. Still time to make this season right, but we are rapidly running out of time.
    Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Anybody listen to the post game with Posick? I did a little but missed some. Did Oz even come out?
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
        But Greenway has to fight for a roster spot.

Something really bad had to have happened there.
        Possibly an issue of bad grades/getting on academic probation? That might lead to a semester off vs getting into a fight.
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
          Anybody listen to the post game with Posick? I did a little but missed some. Did Oz even come out?
          Hmm... the answer to this is no, Oz didn't come out for the post game interview. That's strange. I wonder why?
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            Possibly an issue of bad grades/getting on academic probation? That might lead to a semester off vs getting into a fight.
            He's a smart kid and if it was academic, I think we'd know as that's not usually kept secret. Plus you'd think academic keeps you out for the semester and he's been practicing and appears eligible to play. Todd M keeps saying he's not in playing shape yet, so something prevented him from working out to keep up his conditioning. Whether that was all physical, or some big life-type issues, or a combination of things, I don't know for sure, but clearly it's all been very significant. Seems he's also down the depth chart at the moment and will either have to show himself to be much, much, better than someone, or one of the six will have to consistently fail. A step back in that direction last night for a couple guys, but I don't know that they'd just yank any of them on ten minutes of bad play. Really seems like JD won't be in the lineup until after the break at the earliest in any case.
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
              Hmm... the answer to this is no, Oz didn't come out for the post game interview. That's strange. I wonder why?
              My guess is he blew out his vocal cords screaming at the team after the game.

Did Weissbach play after he got nailed into the boards on that penalty? I didn't see him but I may have missed him.

The team tightened up when Berry went in, he never got hung out to dry like Hayton did.

Hayton can't be looked at in a negative light based on the goals. Respectable D zone coverage prevents 3 of those.
              Goal 1 tip, what can he do there
              Goal 2 tip from the wing to center in tight, probably wants that one back, but awful D coverage
              Goal 3 No chance, awful D coverage
              Goal 4 a blast, stoppable? was he screened?
              Goal 5 No chance, awful D coverage

The 5 on 4 pp was awful.

Greenway isn't going to be the savior of the team. I don't think Cujo or Elliott, Carey or Derksen would be the saviors of this team.

I believe UW misses DG more than we think. This is the veterans' 2nd year in the system and they have massively digressed. It looked like an Eaves team out there. I am disgusted.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                The Badgers are still trying to learn how to cover the back door.

And not pass to the guy in the other jersey at the blue line.

Baby steps...
                Some might even say puppy steps
                Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Did Weissbach play after he got nailed into the boards on that penalty? I didn't see him but I may have missed him.

The team tightened up when Berry went in, he never got hung out to dry like Hayton did.

Hayton can't be looked at in a negative light based on the goals. Respectable D zone coverage prevents 3 of those.
                Goal 2 tip from the wing to center in tight, probably wants that one back, but awful D coverage

The 5 on 4 pp was awful.

Greenway isn't going to be the savior of the team. I don't think Cujo or Elliott, Carey or Derksen would be the saviors of this team.

I believe UW misses DG more than we think. This is the veterans' 2nd year in the system and they have massively digressed. It looked like an Eaves team out there. I am disgusted.
                I don't think this team looks like a an Eaves team at all. Even though they lost I thought the badgers controlled play, had the better of the chances, and were the better team. Defensive breakdowns will haunt this team forever. Who was the dman who didn't cover the back door? Ess? That and Hughes' stupid 5-on-3 penalty. Absolute back breakers.

I've been saying it for weeks and I'll say it again: faceoffs continue to be a HUGE problem. 33% is absolutely horrendous. Trent Frederic only one close 50%. Sound familiar? Somebody fix this please.
                Last edited by digitalbooya; 12-02-2017, 09:05 AM.

Comment

We should talk about the refs just for the sake of conversation. Thought they were inconsistent as can be. Blew the whistle one second before a badger put the puck in the net not once but twice. Not to mention at least one other time where Schierhorn didn't have the puck. Called ticky tacky penalties both ways. I thought the Kalynuk hit into the boards was more of a penalty than the one that led to our second 5-on-3. Also pretty sure the badgers got away with two trips in a matter of five seconds at one point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                    He's a smart kid and if it was academic, I think we'd know as that's not usually kept secret. Plus you'd think academic keeps you out for the semester and he's been practicing and appears eligible to play. Todd M keeps saying he's not in playing shape yet, so something prevented him from working out to keep up his conditioning. Whether that was all physical, or some big life-type issues, or a combination of things, I don't know for sure, but clearly it's all been very significant. Seems he's also down the depth chart at the moment and will either have to show himself to be much, much, better than someone, or one of the six will have to consistently fail. A step back in that direction last night for a couple guys, but I don't know that they'd just yank any of them on ten minutes of bad play. Really seems like JD won't be in the lineup until after the break at the earliest in any case.
                    Interesting. I admit I was grasping at straws with my guess. JD is talented and i think a top 4 dman so I'm hoping he can get in shape asap.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

The backup looked way better than Hayton. The refs were terrible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                        The backup looked way better than Hayton. The refs were terrible.
                        Sounds like it on both counts. Mike Richter talked up Berrry so I'm hoping he gets more starts.

Hayton has been average.

Comment

There is something special about a Badger/Gopher game, my juices run a little hotter. You had to like the Dhooghe snipe and the Zirbel hustle goal.

We had the upper hand when the score was 2-1, Minnesota was lethargic and the 3M fans were not crazy. Then the dam broke, the 2nd and 3rd goals were back breakers. On Minnesota's third goal it appeared they scored twice on the same shift. On both those goals TD just lost coverage and his man scored. I didn't see him anymore in the 2nd period after that.

I'll be switching back and forth between football and hockey tonight hoping for the Saturday sweep.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            They don't though.

They look just as uneven as we do.
                            Exactly. Anyone who can divorce the results from the actual process knows that the Gophers didn't play a particularly great brand of hockey last night. With even semi-competent goaltending (5 goals on 14 shots... need I say more?) the Badgers probably win last night and will probably win tonight if they get that.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

The 5 on 4 pp was awful.

For Linus, credit his toughness because he played the rest of his shifts in the 2nd after getting a knee to the head into the boards, although he didn't look the same, obviously. I thought he was having a really good night up until then. He didn't play in the third and they moved Ford to his spot and double shifted Malone, Hughes, maybe some others on the 4th. Todd M said it looked like Linus was getting evaluated for a concussion after the game. Sucks because he is a guy that could rack up some goals in a wide open game.

I disagree about the negative light on Hayton. On #1 and #4 all he had to do was stand there square to the puck and neither go in. On the tip there was nobody on the back side so where was he going when he moved to the middle out of the way? Watch those and it looks like somebody said "whatever you do don't get hit by the puck" and in that case, he made great plays. 4 is especially frustrating because right before it he stopped a shot from the point by just standing there. It comes around again, (he knows it's coming because he just pointed the gopher out seconds before) and he ducks under it.

#2 should never be a goal. 2x3 and no one else to worry about, that pass should never get through the top of the crease. And if he's not playing it there, he should at least get square to the only guy with a chance to score on the ice. #3 he was in trouble on, but again, he sees the 2x1 coming and he's on his knees on top of the crease with no chance to make a play. He was unsettled and jumping around all night. Berry came in and just stood there and let the puck hit him. Kudos to Jack for that.

Should he have made all those? No, probably not. Should he have made some? Yes. Am I being too critical? Yes, probably. But %$#&!!! This kid has started 120 D1 games. He was a USHL all star, all Rookie, All conference and All American. Right now he's got a .892 SV%. We need him to make some plays. Sometimes he has to come up with saves and bail guys out.

Not big on his post game comments pointing out D breakdowns. It maybe entirely true but I want my goalie to be saying and thinking "I have to have the guy's backs and make more plays."

I don't put the loss on him, but that's just it -- So far, he's just another guy standing between the pipes.
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                                Some might even say puppy steps

I don't think this team looks like a an Eaves team at all. Even though they lost I thought the badgers controlled play, had the better of the chances, and were the better team. Defensive breakdowns will haunt this team forever. Who was the dman who didn't cover the back door? Ess? That and Hughes' stupid 5-on-3 penalty. Absolute back breakers.

I've been saying it for weeks and I'll say it again: faceoffs continue to be a HUGE problem. 33% is absolutely horrendous. Trent Frederic only one close 50%. Sound familiar? Somebody fix this please.
                                I don't get the face offs at all, but we suck. The fact that we suck so much and still controlled possession so much says something about how good we played 5x5 for big stretches of that game. Freddy has been tossed so much in previous games it's a credit to him that he managed 50/50. Why Hughes and Baker were so bad I can't say. Tony was great in the circle, I can't imagine he doesn't have a million tips for winning draws. I guess he needs to dig into the second million.

Milewski said that Granato was really cranked up about the 3 quick whistles on pucks in front after the game. Actually, two weren't in front, they were in the net. I would be too when you preach and preach all month about getting to the net and jamming some in, guys do just what you ask of them and they get waived off.

The refs seemed to miss calls or make a bad call, and then try to make it up. That is never a good recipe. I just hope they are better tonight.

I'm thinking both teams will be better. Should be a good game. Let's just get the split and go home feeling good.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X