This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey T*M2=NCA2*7

This one of those games where, on one hand, I recognize that if you were to simulate a long series between these two teams, it would be very competitive and respectable, but on the other hand, they've only played one game, the Badgers lost it, and I can only think about how great it would've been (both on a larger scale and simply for the overall record/ranking) to ignite more energy to open the weekend with a marquee win blah blah blah blah blah blah that's over-dramatic - it was a top ten matchup and was a great time. It was good to see the Badgers start driving possession more after being forced back on their heels for much of the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdEQmpVIE4A

Comment

UW made it way too easy on them entering the zone. They're leaving such a big gap that they can practically get in close enough to get a quality shot on goal without even being touched.

Having two different leads and still taking the L hurts. Hopefully they come back strong tomorrow.
      Last edited by GBBadger14; 11-04-2017, 10:37 PM.

Comment

I guess I have a bit of a different take.

I thought Sue looked better than us.

Sure, we ended with a gaudy shot total, but a lot of those were from the perimeter and Thome made those saves look easy... coz they were.

To my eyes, the key difference in the game was d-zone play.

Sue did a great job of having sticks and bodies in passing and shooting lanes. They were also on our guys almost every time a loose puck came our way just enough to get a piece of the puck or harass the attempt.

They also kept us from crashing the net although there weren't a ton of opportunities for us to do that and a lot of saves were easy glove catches that went to faceoffs. Would have liked to see us make an effort to crash the net on a freshman goalie but it's entirely possible that the Sue would have boxed us out.

We look really bad at times in our own zone. Lots of blind passes and a consistent inability to get the puck out of the zone. How many times did we get the puck to within a few feet of the blue line only to have Sue hold it in and get it deep.

Hayton played well and made a few nice saves, but the second Sue goal was an incredibly juicy rebound right to where the pressure will always be coming from and it was compounded by whoever was covering the scorer getting beat to the puck.

Our d-zone play needs to get cleaned up if we are going to be anything beyond a good team.
        Last edited by Gurtholfin; 11-03-2017, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Oh yeah, and students...

2:30 to go in the game is way too early for "Stand up, old people!"

Comment

A key play in the game was the penalty we got on the PP.

Did our guy (Davis?) shoot it into the Sue's shin pads?

I didn't see how the puck ended up heading out of the zone, but it looked like a blocked shot.

If so can't do that and it led directly to the penalty that he took as those plays almost always end up in a breakaway.

Comment

The whole first period was awful. They would have had 50 sog if they played the first like they played the 3rd. They need to play consistently good hockey. Whole periods of disjointedness show this team is not ready for prime time.

They had some great looks on the PP but could not equalize it.

The sue D get away with some pretty serious rubbing when a UW player dumps it in and try to get around them, that stuff needs to get called.

I liked the physical play Imamato brought to the table tonight.

I agree on the allowing too much time and space on D zone entry. Don't play scared and close up on these guys, make them move the puck.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                The sue D get away with some pretty serious rubbing when a UW player dumps it in and try to get around them, that stuff needs to get called.

I can understand the frustration with that not being called, but it doesn't get called and has never been called with any consistency at any level of hockey at any time.

Sure, the NHL made it an emphasis for the first few weeks of a season some years ago and then never called it again.

I used to be all "That's interference!" guy, but years of it being part of the game have led to me not even registering it anymore.

The one call on the Sue last night was weak too. Our guy just fell down.

Badgers need to adjust. When the Sue were doing that last night, a compounding factor was that we weren't coming in numbers and they would always have 2-4 guys back. As I said, they were very sound in their own end.

I love solid defense and give them kudos.

Our defense drives me nuts. Not just the d-men, the whole thing in our zone.

Comment

And also...

You know who complains about the refs a lot?

Our friends to the NW.

Don't be like them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                    I can understand the frustration with that not being called, but it doesn't get called and has never been called with any consistency at any level of hockey at any time.

Sure, the NHL made it an emphasis for the first few weeks of a season some years ago and then never called it again.

I used to be all "That's interference!" guy, but years of it being part of the game have led to me not even registering it anymore.

The one call on the Sue last night was weak too. Our guy just fell down.

Badgers need to adjust. When the Sue were doing that last night, a compounding factor was that we weren't coming in numbers and they would always have 2-4 guys back. As I said, they were very sound in their own end.

I love solid defense and give them kudos.

Our defense drives me nuts. Not just the d-men, the whole thing in our zone.

This. I just re-watched a bit of the first because my impression was that we weren't very good. Upon review I'd change that to say we weren't sharp with the puck but played hard. Sue dodged a few bullets there, plays that were just inches from being grade A chances that didn't result in SOG's. The way Tony wants to beat an aggressive forecheck is to turn it around and attack. What was happening a lot was the offside wing was trailing the play by way too much. We were 2 on 4 entering the zone all night and consequently giving the puck up a lot. Offside wing plus the offside D need to be way more aggressive if we're going to turn the tables and put Sue on her heels.

I'd also like to see the D just skate the puck more when the outlets are hemmed in, which will automatically create better numbers on the rush. The few times Peter and Jake took off with it created some good chances. At least 5 of 6 D are good enough with the puck to beat their man and go.

I'd say whether or not our guy just fell down, that call on Sue is made 10/10 times. Beyond that we didn't move our feet enough after the chip to get the calls. If you are really driving and they jam you into the boards you're going to get a whistle eventually. Just have to make it happen. We just need to be more confident and more aggressive tonight and we can get a W.
                    Originally posted by WiscTJK
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                    Originally posted by Timothy A
                    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Awful 5 minute major call.

Comment

I'm not saying that refs don't make bad calls. They do.

Just kill it though.

Comment

Starting that period with 4 minutes of PK and 5 D... If you told me we'd get through it with the status quo, I'd have been pretty happy. So I am.

We'll see what kind of shape the boys are in now, the intensity is only going up from here.
                          Originally posted by WiscTJK
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                          Originally posted by Timothy A
                          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Feeling pretty good about the penalty shot call. Gives us a ref excuse if things don't go well from here on in. Any excuse will do.

Comment

Then mention JD Greenway tonight ? Any idea when/if he returns ?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                                Feeling pretty good about the penalty shot call. Gives us a ref excuse if things don't go well from here on in. Any excuse will do.
                                Only a Gopher fan would b_tch about that call and I know you're better than that.

That's the recipe right there. Pucks to the net followed by bodies to the net.

Keep it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X