Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Naz is pretty good, too. I could easily imagine UC sweeping the weekend, or losing both games. I'm guessing that both contests will be squeakers, one way or the other.
    Naz scares me. For whatever reason, Naz seems to either play us close or have our number. Just a reminder that Utica lost just 2 ECAC-West games last year....both to Nas.
    2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
    2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
    2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
    2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
    2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
    2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
    2009 D-III TOP runner-up
    Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
    1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
      Naz scares me. For whatever reason, Naz seems to either play us close or have our number. Just a reminder that Utica lost just 2 ECAC-West games last year....both to Nas.

I agree; Naz is a fast team that can't be overlooked. If they win tonight they'll take over 1st in the UCHC, which I'm sure will be a motivating factor for them.

I wonder if we'll see Baggeta tonight and Virtanen tomorrow? I'd be mildly surprised if Gary plays Patrick twice in 19 hours. (I'd be fine with Bags, BTW... The kid is as quick as a cat.)

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger
        Guess no need to worry tonight. Utica appears to have dominated the game
        Tell ya what: the outcome was very much in doubt for the majority of the game.

UC was down 2-0 while having a 30-5 SOG advantage late in the 2nd, then BANG! BANG! BANG!, it's 3-2, Utica. What a flurry.

Very fun game from my biased perspective. I almost felt myself hoping for a tie before that onslaught began. Tilford had been a brick wall, and it looked like it might be yet another cruel hand dealt by the Hockey Gods... But, Utica played with great energy throughout, decent D (aside from the requisite Carter miscue and a horrible shorthanded pinch by Fritz) and they never appeared gassed.

I think they'll give Oswego a game tomorrow, and a win then will be key when the selection process -such as it is- occurs.

Comment

Should be a classic today.....

Comment

That was very possibly the most entertaining sister-kisser I've ever seen. Two excellent teams going balls-out and playing at a very high level. The EAG goal was disappointing, to say the least, but the two OSU fans behind us heartily agreed that the tie was a just outcome. Just a tremendous game.

Comment

That was very possibly the most entertaining sister-kisser I've ever seen. Two excellent teams going balls-out and playing at a very high level. The EAG goal was disappointing, to say the least, but the two OSU fans behind us heartily agreed that the tie was a just outcome. Just a tremendous game.
              was the 3rd Utica goal a high stick?? Great game for sure..

Comment

Bryn Athen looked respectable on paper, but they were outshot 45-8 on the night..? I did not see that coming.

UC is playing so well lately. (I only pulled a few hairs out tonight watching Fritz!)

A win at EC tomorrow would be big.

Comment

Not to be a one-man thread, but ouch!

When you have a 37-22 SOG advantage, and get 6 PP's, there's no way you should lose 5-1. It was hard to see any nuance while watching the game on a tablet, but Virtanen seemed to have a very off night.

Still, UC could run the table, or come close. Right now, they're on the AL cliff, at best.

Comment

SOG 50-9, I felt bad for Hudson, who really played a good game. On the other hand, happy for Dill to see him get a shutout, even if he only had to make 9 saves. He's had a disappointing tenure here at Utica, but good for him tonight.

Gary played the lesser/younger guys a lot. I liked that approach. UC is on the NCAA bubble, and they need to win their league games moving forward, in large part because the UCHC ain't all that, and any future losses will look pretty bad from a statistical perspective.

Comment

Is Virtanen hurt, not playing yesterday ?
                      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                        Is Virtanen hurt, not playing yesterday ?
                        No, Gary just went with Baggetta yesterday. Unfortunately, depth is becoming an issue with other injuries. Heard that Bushinski may be out for season in addition to Fitzpatrick, Everson and Lynch.

Comment

Dam.

Baggetta is the real deal, and UC can win with him in net... But Bush, Fitz, Everson and Lynch..? Shoots big holes in the lineup, although we haven't seen much of the latter three guys this year. Bush has really contributed, though. Hope he heals-up.
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-06-2018, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Just like always, UC is on the NCAA bubble again. A win against Ozz or Adrean would have been huge. Hope that the Oswego tie in the last minute doesn't come back to haunt them. Also, how bad are their injuries ?
                            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                              Just like always, UC is on the NCAA bubble again. A win against Ozz or Adrean would have been huge. Hope that the Oswego tie in the last minute doesn't come back to haunt them. Also, how bad are their injuries ?
                              I think UC would safely be in if the season was over right now, but yeah, if they don't finish strong the Oswego game might prove to be their undoing.

Comment

I think UC would safely be in if the season was over right now, but yeah, if they don't finish strong the Oswego game might prove to be their undoing.
                                Important win tonight. What are we going to do without Roman next year?

Edit: I used to rail against the school-bus drivers who moonlight as D-3 refs, but they haven't looked too bad lately... Until tonight, v. Neumann.

Five consecutive minors in the 3rd cost UC this game, and at least 3 of them were BS, ticky-tack, no level-field via the other team, etc... You get the idea.

Good God, if D-3 wants to be anything like legitimate, have some accountability as to the officiating. Nearly every game is streamed, and review-able. If these guy are demonstrably clueless, they ought to be sent back to their day-jobs.

My old parakeet can randomly blow a whistle, but that doesn't make him a hockey-ref.
                                Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-10-2018, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X