Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
    JUst good natured busting fishy, you know that Looks like UC is putting it all together, weird league with those cellar dwellers makin a lot of records look pretty good. BTW...prob no AQ for this league ?? Wasn't ECAC West about to get one ?
    Oh I know it, Shabby. Your comment made me laugh to myself... And you're right: that was the first nice thing I've said about Gary in years, but I do like how he's handling the team this season.

And your other comment was spot-on, too. The ECAC W reformed itself, added some God-awful teams just for the sake of having the numbers to qualify for an AQ, and weakened the league in the process. The UCHC will have the requisite warm bodies to "earn" an AQ next season, while being far inferior to what the W was, top-to-bottom.

Gotta love that D-3 "logic"!

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
      This would have been year 2 of the 2 year wait for the ECAC-W (I.e. they would have gotten it next season). Because of the change of league, this is year 1 of 2 for the UCHC. They will get it in 2019-20.
      The decision not to approve that waiver will be appealed. I can tell you that much. A successful appeal means it would still take effect for 18-19.
      Our bite is worse than our bark....
      Top guys, out.

Comment

Originally posted by vcxc3200 View Post
        The decision not to approve that waiver will be appealed. I can tell you that much. A successful appeal means it would still take effect for 18-19.
        Thanks for your insight, Ray -it's always appreciated- but it does beg this question: what is the point of intentionally diluting any conference, to the dubious end of making it "worthier" in the eyes of the ridiculous AQ process?

The W whored-themselves out to this nonsense, and added two awful programs to get "better"... In the process, the W lost their flagship program (Hobart), and is a much worse conference as a result. That flies directly in the face of the whole D-3 AQ (non-) argument that "more is necessarily better". It's a profoundly stupid construct.

(Anyhoo, Ray, we really miss your pre-game analyses on our drives in from the East. We used to show-up early and sit in the car to hear your show before every contest, while perhaps enjoying a beer.

Now, we can't hear you at all... Are you on the UC student channel? I don't think we can get that over the air near The Aud. Get it back on ESPN-UR, already, please!)
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-15-2017, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          Thanks for your insight, Ray -it's always appreciated- but it does beg this question: what is the point of intentionally diluting any conference, to the dubious end of making it "worthier" in the eyes of the ridiculous AQ process?

The W whored-themselves out to this nonsense, and added two awful programs to get "better"... In the process, the W lost their flagship program (Hobart), and is a much worse conference as a result. That flies directly in the face of the whole D-3 AQ (non-) argument that "more is necessarily better". It's a profoundly stupid construct.

(Anyhoo, Ray, we really miss your pre-game analyses on our drives in from the East. We used to show-up early and sit in the car to hear your show before every contest, while perhaps enjoying a beer.

Now, we can't hear you at all... Are you on the UC student channel? I don't think we can get that over the air near The Aud. Get it back on ESPN-UR, already, please!)
          Utica sucked when they first started and what about Neumann?
          2006, 2010 ECAC West Pick'Em Champion.

Comment

I am generally on 90.7 now for UC games with a few notable exceptions. During thanksgiving weekend i was online only due to lack of board ops. And then during teddy bear toss I was working TV, and they had some connection trouble on radio that night. But that's generally where to find me now. Safe bet is anytime after the Potsdam game, although i may be able to find a board op for that. I will follow up here when I know.

Anyway, to your other question, I can say this. Right now the number is the number, and a newer institution that fits into the footprint really helps teams like Neumann and Stevenson with travel. The SOS results may not be immediately what a contender wants, but as soon as possible, our conference tourney champ won't have to sweat their fate on Sunday/Monday soon, and thats a welcome feeling after years of collectively biting our nails. I know it comes with growing pains, but in the long haul it will be worth it.

For now, need to win big nonconference games. Adrian and Wego are going to be huge. A win against one and RNK is less of a liability in the room when judgment day arrives.
            Our bite is worse than our bark....
            Top guys, out.

Comment

I am generally on 90.7 now for UC games with a few notable exceptions. During thanksgiving weekend i was online only due to lack of board ops. And then during teddy bear toss I was working TV, and they had some connection trouble on radio that night. But that's generally where to find me now. Safe bet is anytime after the Potsdam game, although i may be able to find a board op for that. I will follow up here when I know.
              Anyway, to your other question, I can say this. Right now the number is the number, and a newer institution that fits into the footprint really helps teams like Neumann and Stevenson with travel. The SOS results may not be immediately what a contender wants, but as soon as possible, our conference tourney champ won't have to sweat their fate on Sunday/Monday soon, and thats a welcome feeling after years of collectively biting our nails. I know it comes with growing pains, but in the long haul it will be worth it.

For now, need to win big nonconference games. Adrian and Wego are going to be huge. A win against one and RNK is less of a liability in the room when judgment day arrives.

Uh, there are plenty of former #ProsWithGPAs within driving distance that can run a board💪🏻👍🏻😂
              LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by smbenny View Post
                Utica sucked when they first started and what about Neumann?
                No, they didn't. Do a little homework before you pop-off.

Comment

UC definitely has a few games on the table that will likely be key in the selection process. If, somehow, Utica could take 2 of 3 from Adrian, Oswego and Endicott in the aggregate, I'd expect them to get a bid.

Still, it's been a silly expansion for the (former) W to look for an AQ. The travel is absurd by D-3 standards, and the conference is (ironically) much weaker as a whole.

Give me a PWR, an RPI, or a KRACH to select the field, instead of adding cannon-fodder teams to somehow "qualify" for the tournament.

D-3 needs to enter the modern age, FCS.

P.S.: 90.7 isn't audible throughout most of Utica, nevermind elsewhere. All us UC fans to the East never hear Word One re: the skinny on the scratches, the injuries, and all the other good stuff you bring to the table, and we all bemoan that fact.
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-16-2017, 09:58 PM.

Comment

They weren’t good. Is that better?
                    2006, 2010 ECAC West Pick'Em Champion.

Comment

UC definitely has a few games on the table that will likely be key in the selection process. If, somehow, Utica could take 2 of 3 from Adrian, Oswego and Endicott in the aggregate, I'd expect them to get a bid.

Still, it's been a silly expansion for the (former) W to look for an AQ. The travel is absurd by D-3 standards, and the conference is (ironically) much weaker as a whole.

Give me a PWR, an RPI, or a KRACH to select the field, instead of adding cannon-fodder teams to somehow "qualify" for the tournament.

D-3 needs to enter the modern age, FCS.
                      Travel out west is absurd. period.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by smbenny View Post
                        They weren’t good. Is that better?
                        You can mince words until your little face turns blue, but Utica has always been -at the very least- a factor in the W... Not so much, the drove of bottom-feeders that the UCHC has recently added.
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-16-2017, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Big game as #10 visits # 8 this Sat. Pack the foil for the knuckles Pioneer.....

Comment

Originally posted by OZFEST View Post
                            Big game as #10 visits # 8 this Sat. Pack the foil for the knuckles Pioneer.....
                            and The U as added Rutkowski on D from the Lakers..

Comment

Fact: Utica and Neumann entered the ECAC West at the same time. Neumann was pathetic, and Utica was mediocre.

Records for the first 3 years of each team:

Utica 36 - 35 - 1
                              Neumann 6 - 66 - 2

Neuman's fourth season was also really bad, but how many ECACW conference titles did each of those two win?
                              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                                Fact: Utica and Neumann entered the ECAC West at the same time. Neumann was pathetic, and Utica was mediocre.

Records for the first 3 years of each team:

Utica 36 - 35 - 1
                                Neumann 6 - 66 - 2

Neuman's fourth season was also really bad, but how many ECACW conference titles did each of those two win?
                                One of those teams hasnt bought themselves a national championship though

Comment

Working...
                                X