Utica College 2017-2018 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

Here is the reason Utica has clinched the 4 way tie breaker. They are currently 4-1-0 against the potentially tied teams. Stevenson is done with 7 points, and Manhattanville has 5. Even if Manhattanville does beat Utica, and forces a 4 way tie, Utica would have one more point in the tie breaker.

A three way tie is possible between Utica, Stevenson, and Mville if LVC loses to Elmiral and M'ville wins

Utica would be 3 -1 against those tied teams if they lose to Mville
    Stevenson would be 2- 2
    Manhattenville would be 1 - 3.

Conference wins would never come into play.

I had to check
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
      Here for future reference is the UCHC web site: theuchc.com

I tend to ignore twitter (in fact I don't even know how to go there). My opinion is that twitter is one of the worst things that was ever developed.
      You-know-who has given Twitter a bad name. I don't have an account, but it is informative to read Heenan's tweets about game details and former players, etc. (He sticks to hockey.)
      Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-17-2018, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Here is the reason Utica has clinched the 4 way tie breaker. They are currently 4-1-0 against the potentially tied teams. Stevenson is done with 7 points, and Manhattanville has 5. Even if Manhattanville does beat Utica, and forces a 4 way tie, Utica would have one more point in the tie breaker.

A three way tie is possible between Utica, Stevenson, and Mville if LVC loses to Elmiral and M'ville wins

Utica would be 3 -1 against those tied teams if they lose to Mville
        Stevenson would be 2- 2
        Manhattenville would be 1 - 3.

Conference wins would never come into play.

I had to check
        Not to pick nits, but...

In the first scenario - a four-way tie- UC wins one H@H and ties the other two. They get the top seed via its aggregate record among the tied teams, as you say. (It's beyond me why the UCHC would do it that way, but a lot of things are beyond me these days.)

In the case of your 2nd scenario- the three-way tie -Utica wins the H2H v. Stevenson but ties M'ville in that comparison, and garners the top seed over M'ville via having more league wins. It smacks of semantics, I suppose, but league wins -the 2nd tiebreaker- will indeed be in play in that case.

(Thanks for the website address, BTW; I wonder why the link on this site is a dead-end?)

Comment

It's not head to head pairwise - it is head to head record among the tied teams. If you do pairwise, it invites circularity. That is how it is done in almost every league. Once a tie is broken, then it goes back to the criteria among the now tied teams.

In the 3 way tie Utica would be 3-1. That takes the grouping. Doesn't matter how they did individually. They are the only team that has 3 wins against the other two.

For number 2 you would look at the three way record among Stevenson, MVille, and LVC if there had been a 4 way tie. (Utica's record would be thrown out)
          Last edited by NUProf; 02-17-2018, 05:08 PM.
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

It's not head to head pairwise - it is head to head record among the tied teams. If you do pairwise, it invites circularity. That is how it is done in almost every league. Once a tie is broken, then it goes back to the criteria among the now tied teams.

In the 3 way tie Utica would be 3-1. That takes the grouping. Doesn't matter how they did individually. They are the only team that has 3 wins against the other two.

For number 2 you would look at the three way record among Stevenson, MVille, and LVC if there had been a 4 way tie. (Utica's record would be thrown out)
            It would be a PW H2H if but two teams were involved, so I don't see why a 4-way tie should be parsed differently. There won't be complete circularity involved in all likelihood, and what ties remain will certainly be resolved by the cascade of tiebreakers. (There's like 6 of them.) Still, we're talking a distinction without a difference in a fundamental sense.

Anyway, nice effort by UC tonight. I didn't see a blow-out coming, but poor Mr. Feaver had an off night and it just snow-balled on him.

And, as far as Saturday goes, anybody but #*@&ing Elmira, please!
            Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-17-2018, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              And, as far as Saturday goes, anybody but #*@&ing Elmira, please!
              Yes, please! but it will be the winner of M'ville/Elmira, or Neumann if they beat LVC.
              Game is at Sat at 2 due to Comets game at night.

Comment

Originally posted by jcase View Post
                Yes, please! but it will be the winner of M'ville/Elmira, or Neumann if they beat LVC.
                Game is at Sat at 2 due to Comets game at night.
                Was wondering if the UCHC would re-seed the teams. Thanks.

UC could sure use an SOS boost, so beating M'ville, then LVC, would be the best scenario it could hope for.

(Though going through EC and LVC will likely yield an equivalent result... Barring some major divine intervention, Utica needs both wins in the worst way.)
                Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-19-2018, 05:10 PM.

Comment

So, UC jumps three places to seventh, am I right in assuming today they'd be in the tourney, that's if all five in the west get in also ???
                  It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

• Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                    So, UC jumps three places to seventh, am I right in assuming today they'd be in the tourney, that's if all five in the west get in also ???
                    Don't jump to conclusions. There is a lot of hockey to be played! A lot can happen.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

I said, as of today ? I doubt very much UC will lose at home.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                        There appears be an auto bid that is not ranked, I would give that nod to Norwich. You also have Plymouth State ranked 8th, but the only ranked MASCAC team that is also an Auto Bid. So if even if today was the final ranking, they would not be a lock. BUT, I would say Utica has a good shot. But seventh does not guarantee anything.
                        Last edited by Birdwatcher; 02-20-2018, 03:05 PM.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                          There appears be an auto bid that is not ranked, I would give that nod to Norwich. You also have Plymouth State ranked 8th, but the only ranked MASCAC team that is also an Auto Bid. So if even if today was the final ranking, they would not be a lock. BUT, I would say Utica has a good shot. But seventh does not guarantee anything.
                          It certainly doesn't. I still think UC needs to win-out to have a shot... But I think their ranking is fair, even if some other teams' are not.

Comment

Shabby, hope you're right. Depends on who they draw. Every other team still alive in the UCHC is perfectly capable of downing a beaten-up UC team (especially Elmira, which apparently has Utica's number.)

Still, i believe in this squad, beaten-up or not.

Here I go again, but Heenan has done such a great job matching his coaching to his personnel. I don't see Utica leaving anything out there on the ice. This team has speed and talent, but more importantly, they go to war every night. i'm very happy with the balls they've shown, whether they get to The Dance or not.

If the D plays mistake-free, or even close, I like their chances.
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-20-2018, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Possibility of Elmira at UC in the final

Comment

Possibility of Elmira at UC in the final
                                I don't want to see that 1st-line of EC's ever again, but if it happens, and UC wins, I might change my my mind after the fact.
                                Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-22-2018, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X