Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61

Thread: Utica College 2017-2018 season

  1. #1
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,381

    Utica College 2017-2018 season

    Hello UC fans, and haters, too. I hope you'll all weigh-in here, or maybe just the former group.

    Anyhoo, we had quite a struggle to buy and receive our season tickets. They were happy to take my money, yet the communication was poor, at best... Months later, I heard from them. Lousy customer service, to be polite.

    But, if you bought them, they'll be available at the Oriskany St. box office from Monday through Wednesday.

    I haven't paid much attention to recruiting, but I'm sure some of you have. UC is returning some serious talent, but there were gaps to be filled...

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    5

    Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

    Where were the gaps? Forward? Defense?

  3. #3
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,381

    Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

    A bit of each IMO, but nothing too dire.

    Heenan got too cute with his "systems" in mid-season, which derailed a hot start. Had he refrained from fixing something that wasn't broken, UC would have made the NCAAs. His disproportionate ego has been an issue for years now.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-20-2017 at 09:48 PM.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    548

    Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

    Here's some pre-season info I compiled from a number of sources

    Code:
    ARRIVALS:               CL GM  G  A PTS AGE     HOMETOWN                HGT     WGT    SH LAST TEAM
    Conor Landrigan (F)	Fr 45 52-70-122  21	New Tripoli, PA, USA	6'0"	185	L Binghamton Jr Senators (NA3HL)
    Brett Everson (C)	Fr 59 17-53-70   21	Mississauga, ON, CAN	5'11"	181	L Hawkesbury Hawks (CCHL)
    Jamie Bucell (F)	Fr 48 22-28-50   21	Garfield Heights, OH,	5'11"	185	R Philadelphia Little Flyers (EHL)
    Vaden McManus (D)	Fr 40 09-31-40   21	Fayetteville, NC, USA	5'10"	170	R Hampton Roads Whalers Elite (USPHL)
    Josh Haskin (F)		Fr 43 09-26-35   21	Albany, NY, USA		5'9"	179	R PAL Jr Islanders Premier (USPHL)
    Tyler Pietrowski (F)	Fr 58 15-15-30   21	Curtice, OH, USA	6'2"	185	R Odessa Jackalopes (NAHL)
    Hunter Gunski (D)	Fr 49 02-10-12   21	Goffstown, NH, USA	6'5"	209	L Wellington Dukes (OJHL)
    Brandon Young (D)	Fr 48 02-09-11   20	Muskegon, MI, USA	6’4”	195	R Johnstown Tomahawks (NAHL)
    Gregg Burmaster (F)	Jr 07 01-00-01   22	Clinton, NY, USA	6’0”	185	L Colorado College (NCAA D-I)
    Daniel Fritz (D)	So 00 00-00-00   22	Harwood, MD, USA	6’2”	195	L Canisius College (NCAA D-I)
    
    DEPARTURES:
    Kevin Kirisits (D)	Graduated
    Luc Boby (F)		Graduated
    Easton Powers (F)	Graduated
    Connor Schmidt (D)	Graduated
    Corey Simic (G)		Sr
    Kollin Schultz (D)	Sr
    Max Bartell (F)		Sr
    Alex Brisette (F)	Sr
    Riley Egan (F)		Sr
    Alex Roberts (F)	Jr
    Nick Grose (D)		So - Ohio U (ACHA)
    
    FUN FACT:
    Fan fave Louis Educate (’15) hired as asst. coach, joins Adam Dekker (’08) as former player asst. coaches

  5. #5
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,381

    Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

    Quote Originally Posted by jcase View Post
    Here's some pre-season info I compiled from a number of sources

    Code:
    ARRIVALS:               CL GM  G  A PTS AGE     HOMETOWN                HGT     WGT    SH LAST TEAM
    Conor Landrigan (F)	Fr 45 52-70-122  21	New Tripoli, PA, USA	6'0"	185	L Binghamton Jr Senators (NA3HL)
    Brett Everson (C)	Fr 59 17-53-70   21	Mississauga, ON, CAN	5'11"	181	L Hawkesbury Hawks (CCHL)
    Jamie Bucell (F)	Fr 48 22-28-50   21	Garfield Heights, OH,	5'11"	185	R Philadelphia Little Flyers (EHL)
    Vaden McManus (D)	Fr 40 09-31-40   21	Fayetteville, NC, USA	5'10"	170	R Hampton Roads Whalers Elite (USPHL)
    Josh Haskin (F)		Fr 43 09-26-35   21	Albany, NY, USA		5'9"	179	R PAL Jr Islanders Premier (USPHL)
    Tyler Pietrowski (F)	Fr 58 15-15-30   21	Curtice, OH, USA	6'2"	185	R Odessa Jackalopes (NAHL)
    Hunter Gunski (D)	Fr 49 02-10-12   21	Goffstown, NH, USA	6'5"	209	L Wellington Dukes (OJHL)
    Brandon Young (D)	Fr 48 02-09-11   20	Muskegon, MI, USA	6’4”	195	R Johnstown Tomahawks (NAHL)
    Gregg Burmaster (F)	Jr 07 01-00-01   22	Clinton, NY, USA	6’0”	185	L Colorado College (NCAA D-I)
    Daniel Fritz (D)	So 00 00-00-00   22	Harwood, MD, USA	6’2”	195	L Canisius College (NCAA D-I)
    
    DEPARTURES:
    Kevin Kirisits (D)	Graduated
    Luc Boby (F)		Graduated
    Easton Powers (F)	Graduated
    Connor Schmidt (D)	Graduated
    Corey Simic (G)		Sr
    Kollin Schultz (D)	Sr
    Max Bartell (F)		Sr
    Alex Brisette (F)	Sr
    Riley Egan (F)		Sr
    Alex Roberts (F)	Jr
    Nick Grose (D)		So - Ohio U (ACHA)
    
    FUN FACT:
    Fan fave Louis Educate (’15) hired as asst. coach, joins Adam Dekker (’08) as former player asst. coaches
    They were all fun facts! Thanks for taking the time to post the informative synopsis. Good stuff.

    Landrigan, McManus and Bucell look to have solid pedigrees vs. quality Junior competition... (And they are all just fresh-faced kids -age 21- which validates D-3's sanctimonious facade regarding sports. )

    Having said that, UC returns the excellent Virtanen in net, and the bulk of its scoring from a '16-'17 team that could finish at the net.

    Looking forward to a solid campaign this season, as long as you-know-who doesn't outsmart himself yet again.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-23-2017 at 07:21 PM.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    out of NYC and up to Orange County
    Posts
    5,072

    Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    They were all fun facts! Thanks for taking the time to post the informative synopsis. Good stuff.

    Landrigan, McManus and Bucell look to have solid pedigrees vs. quality Junior competition... (And they are all just fresh-faced kids -age 21- which validates D-3's sanctimonious facade regarding sports. )

    Having said that, UC returns the excellent Virtanen in net, and the bulk of its scoring from a '16-'17 team that could finish at the net.

    Looking forward to a solid campaign this season, as long as you-know-who doesn't outsmart himself yet again.
    Not saying he will not be a god player,BUT Landrigan played in a very sub-par,to be nice,jr. league.NA3HL

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    27

    Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

    Excited for the season to get going, and I agree with the whole season ticket waiting game. Glad I finally got them last night, now the hard part, waiting for Friday begins lol. That aside, interested to see the new guys play, definitely added more size. Hoping they can build off of the hot start last year and keep that rolling the whole year. Almost forgot about the new conference, looking forward to facing the new teams. Also excited to see the improvements to the Aud, I took a look outside last night at the new addition. Looks really nice from what I could see and it almost looks like they created a plaza-like area over there now. Hope the upcoming season goes well for all.

  8. #8
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,381

    Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

    Quote Originally Posted by bakdraft21 View Post
    Not saying he will not be a god player,BUT Landrigan played in a very sub-par,to be nice,jr. league.NA3HL

    The NA3HL is ranked as high as 3rd among the American Junior leagues based on my research -as far as recent NCAA placements go- but the rankings of Junior leagues are all over the map. (I don't pretend to know anything about those leagues. Just Googled the subject and hoped for the best.)

    But, yes, If he'd put-up those kind of numbers in the USPHL, I'd be wondering why he isn't playing D-1... Guess we'll see.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    out of NYC and up to Orange County
    Posts
    5,072

    Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    The NA3HL is ranked as high as 3rd among the American Junior leagues based on my research -as far as recent NCAA placements go- but the rankings of Junior leagues are all over the map. (I don't pretend to know anything about those leagues. Just Googled the subject and hoped for the best.)

    But, yes, If he'd put-up those kind of numbers in the USPHL, I'd be wondering why he isn't playing D-1... Guess we'll see.
    NA3HL I doubt is 3rd as far as jr leagues go,but what the heck I wish the kid the best...p.s. if he put up those #'s in the USPHL he would go straight to the NHL

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    548

    Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

    Encouraging that Utica tied last year's NCAA Quarter Finalist Endicott 3-3 in Beverly, MA on Saturday. The Gulls have 10 D-I transfers and another from Plattsburgh on their roster.

    3 Pioneer Frosh, Landrigan (1G), Everson (1G) and Bucell (1A) hit the scoresheet along with Derlago who added 1G and 2A. Ammirato had the other helper. Netminders Virtanen (14SV, 1GA), Baggetta (10SV) and Dill (15SV, 2GA) each played a period.

  11. #11
    Here every day
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    rome,n.y.13440 usa
    Posts
    6,100

    Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

    Was that a scrimmage ?
    It all starts with the goaltending.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New Hartford NY
    Posts
    58

    Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

    Quote Originally Posted by sshablak View Post
    Was that a scrimmage ?
    It was indeed!

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    31,607
    Quote Originally Posted by jcase View Post
    Encouraging that Utica tied last year's NCAA Quarter Finalist Endicott 3-3 in Beverly, MA on Saturday. The Gulls have 10 D-I transfers and another from Plattsburgh on their roster.

    3 Pioneer Frosh, Landrigan (1G), Everson (1G) and Bucell (1A) hit the scoresheet along with Derlago who added 1G and 2A. Ammirato had the other helper. Netminders Virtanen (14SV, 1GA), Baggetta (10SV) and Dill (15SV, 2GA) each played a period.
    Endicott likes to pump up the shot totals at home.

  14. #14
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,381

    Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

    Quote Originally Posted by jcase View Post
    Encouraging that Utica tied last year's NCAA Quarter Finalist Endicott 3-3 in Beverly, MA on Saturday. The Gulls have 10 D-I transfers and another from Plattsburgh on their roster.

    3 Pioneer Frosh, Landrigan (1G), Everson (1G) and Bucell (1A) hit the scoresheet along with Derlago who added 1G and 2A. Ammirato had the other helper. Netminders Virtanen (14SV, 1GA), Baggetta (10SV) and Dill (15SV, 2GA) each played a period.
    Wasn't aware that Utica had that scrimmage scheduled. One would have to hope that Virtanen might have sealed the deal, if he'd been in net all night.

  15. #15
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,381

    Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

    Nice weekend!

    Saw both games. UC skated circles around Fredonia, but Cortland is a fast team that might well surprise a lot of people down the road. They kept-up well.

    Virtanen looked a little off his game both nights, but was good enough vs. who he played. He'll need to step it up when he faces Endicott, Adrian, Oswego, and the like.

    The Freshmen look pretty good, but not spectacular. Pietrowski impressed me the most, but Landrigan has a noticeable set of hands.

    Bottom-line: this is another Utica team that can fly, and this one appears to be able to translate that speed into goals.

    (So far, anyway... But they were a blast to watch over the weekend.)

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    548

    Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Virtanen looked a little off his game both nights, but was good enough vs. who he played. He'll need to step it up when he faces Endicott, Adrian, Oswego, and the like.
    Agree Virtanen gave up a couple cheapies on Friday, and Pat Roy wouldn't have stopped that third goal (amazing shot), however Baggetta was in the net on Saturday.

  17. #17
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,381

    Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

    Quote Originally Posted by jcase View Post
    Agree Virtanen gave up a couple cheapies on Friday, and Pat Roy wouldn't have stopped that third goal (amazing shot), however Baggetta was in the net on Saturday.
    My bad. Streamed the game; it was grainy at best, and without audio. (I'll take the result, though.)

  18. #18
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,381

    Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

    Tonight's stream from the majorly-fun venue of Bill Gray's was of excellent quality... And free! ( And, as an aside, go there to watch a game if you can. There are 4 rinks under one roof, and one may dine on pub-grub and sip a beer in the lounge while having a terrific seat for any Naz home game right freakin' there in the bar and grill... It's truly beyond "great".)

    Anyhoo, I would say that UC easily carried the play until they went-up 2-0 in the 3rd.

    Then, you saw the usual "try to sit on the lead" thing, which seems to be some inevitable hockey-manifestation of human nature.

    Whatever, it's a good win. Naz can skate and defend; they ain't chopped liver. They did miss a couple of open nets late in the game, but Virtanen was very sharp in terms of what he could hope to get a piece of. Nice to see a couple of the new guys get on the scoreboard,too.

    So far, so good, Utica fans.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-03-2017 at 10:02 PM.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    27

    Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

    Solid game against Naz, both teams skated well and some good physical play too. Virtanen looked a lot better in this start than his first, made plenty of good saves. Only way Naz scored was when they got a ton of traffic in front and he couldn't spot the puck. Also noticed a few of the newcomers getting some playing time this game as well. Looking forward to Saturday's game against Elmira, should be a good one!

  20. #20
    Here every day
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    rome,n.y.13440 usa
    Posts
    6,100

    Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

    UC #7 in the polls
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •