Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Utica College 2017-2018 season

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    But, D-3 demands an intrinsically meaningless volume of teams per conference, even when that construct demonstrably dilutes the quality of the same.

So very, very, dumb.
    The number of teams per conference requirement is not meaningless. The D3 regulations mandate a ratio of 6.5:1 for the number of teams in the National Tournaments. Leagues settle in at the least number of teams necessary to earn a bid. If the number of teams per league were less than 7, we would have too many Pool A bids. Add two Pool A slots and we are down to only two Pool C bids. You object to the number of Pool C bids as being too small - having a minimum league size that is less than 7 would make the situation worse than it already is. It would actually be better in terms of Pool C bids if the minimum league size were increased, not reduced. Again, these regulations are consistent among all D3 sports - by a vote of all of the D3 programs in all sports. Like it or not, that is the way NCAA D3 is governed.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
      The number of teams per conference requirement is not meaningless. The D3 regulations mandate a ratio of 6.5:1 for the number of teams in the National Tournaments. Leagues settle in at the least number of teams necessary to earn a bid. If the number of teams per league were less than 7, we would have too many Pool A bids. Add two Pool A slots and we are down to only two Pool C bids. You object to the number of Pool C bids as being too small - having a minimum league size that is less than 7 would make the situation worse than it already is. It would actually be better in terms of Pool C bids if the minimum league size were increased, not reduced. Again, these regulations are consistent among all D3 sports - by a vote of all of the D3 programs in all sports. Like it or not, that is the way NCAA D3 is governed.

You're wasting your time....
      Remy Babineaux
      remyb616@gmail.com
      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
        Thanks again for the primer, but that wasn't my point at all.

That D-3 ratio is a construct lacking any intrinsic merit. You, as a statistician, must realize that much. (Did you, for example, grade your classes while employing any "cliffs"..? Pretty sure that you used a "curve", instead.)

Call me a Utopian, but I'd like to see every college sport evaluated along a continuum. Even professional sports do that, after a fashion.

And the universe won't contract upon itself should D-3 hockey decide to make more sense; I'm pretty confident about that.
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-02-2018, 08:36 PM.

Comment

That was fun. 8-3 UC. Now lets hope for some help and hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            Thanks again for the primer, but that wasn't my point at all.

That D-3 ratio is a construct lacking any intrinsic merit. You, as a statistician, must realize that much. (Did you, for example, grade your classes while employing any "cliffs"..? Pretty sure that you used a "curve", instead.)

Call me a Utopian, but I'd like to see every college sport evaluated along a continuum. Even professional sports do that, after a fashion.

And the universe won't contract upon itself should D-3 hockey decide to make more sense; I'm pretty confident about that.
            In every sport the number of teams in the playoffs is determined before the season starts. In DIII (all sports) the number is found by dividing the number of. schools sponsoring teams by 6.5. In MLB the number of playoff teams per league is set at 5. In the NBA and NHL, the number is 16. In the NFL there is a fixed number as well, but since I don't follow football, I don't know how many. Because the number of schools sponsoring team in any sport can vary, the rule determined by the DIII council is fixed at a 1:6.5 ratio. I know I should try to stop explaining these things, but that is the process. If all schools participating in NCAA D3 hockey would decide to create a different organization (such as the way that the CFA tried to break away in football years ago), the rules could be changed. But you have to recognize that funding for all of the D3 championships comes largely from the slice of the NCAA budget that is allowed to the division. There is some revenue from ticket sales but the travel expenses are essentially paid for by money taken in from the NCAA DI basketball tournament. Turning their backs on the NCAA would also remove the funding source of the national tournament.
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Bennycheck View Post
              That was fun. 8-3 UC. Now lets hope for some help and hope.
              Hobart and Geneseo helped Utica... UNE, not so much.

There is still a glimmer of hope. Oswego, IMO, should have been a spot behind UC even before tonight's game. Perhaps the committee will fiddle with the rankings to that effect on Monday. (That sort of thing has been known to happen on occasion.)

Still, with the CCC AQ in play, it's gonna be a tough nut to crack... I'd leave OSU out, but not UNE.
              Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-03-2018, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Does anyone have any idea what UC's strength of schedule would be without the two UCHC bottom feeders dragging it down?

Comment

Originally posted by UCAlum32 View Post
                  Does anyone have any idea what UC's strength of schedule would be without the two UCHC bottom feeders dragging it down?
                  I have no idea how to run that scenario, but you can bet your last dime that its SOS would have been far better had Utica scheduled its usual SUNYAC OOC opponents, as opposed to the 4 gimme-games it wasted vs. King's and Chatham. Furthermore, the other decent UCHC teams would have done something similar, which would have bolstered everyone's SOS by association.

It really speaks to the fundamentally illogical nature of the process, that adding cannon-fodder to a small conference just for the sake of more warm bodies somehow legitimizes it.
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-04-2018, 06:43 PM.

Comment

I'm a glass half full guy so I'm banking on the fact that despite the lack of the AQ, the NCAA has included an ECAC-W team every year since 1996 except for 2014 when a 16-10 Elmira upset Utica in the conf. finals. Not all the teams that got bids were highly ranked however there weren't as many upsets in league tourneys as this year either. Whether wrong or right, I believe the powers that be in the smoky room look at intangibles besides pure comparisons and tweak their final rankings to fit their agenda. If they have the attitude win your conference or don't get in, especially with the teams ranked 4-8 we have a chance. We'll see in the morning and I'll be pleased if they're in but not surprised if they're out.

Comment

Oh well, totally discounted the possibility of Western bias. So Marian was in no matter what happened over the weekend.
                      Great season for the Pioneers, wishing the seniors the best in their future endeavors.

Comment

Evidently Utica ended up 5th in East ahead of Oswego and Trinity. Final slot was between Utica and Marian. Marian's SOS was deciding factor.
                        2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                        2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                        2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                        2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                        2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                        2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                        2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                        Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                        1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                          Evidently Utica ended up 5th in East ahead of Oswego and Trinity. Final slot was between Utica and Marian. Marian's SOS was deciding factor.
                          That was a virtual toss-up, true. Could probably make a stronger case for the Pool B bid, but that was very tight as well.

Very fun year anyway. This team was a blast to watch. Really going to miss the Senior class. Thanks, fellas, and good luck.
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-05-2018, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Heenan's furious ! WKTV
                            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

He really ought to have known on Sunday that the Colby AQ was going to sink UC, but I don't mind that he complained... Rational people need to keep-on complaining about the "process", or there's no chance at all that it will ever be reformed.

Smiling and nodding, attempting to "analyze" the un-analyzable, and otherwise lending any credence to the spurious calculus that currently exists..? That just serves to feed the status-quo.

EDIT: Should have said that UC's season was over the night before Sunday, when Nichols got in. Kinda the same deal, except that the CCC got another bid via that minor upset... UNE wasn't leaving the field, win or lose, while Trinity and Nichols simply switched places, and that didn't displace anyone. UNE is a tournament team by any yardstick; Nichols, not so much.
                              Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-07-2018, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jcase View Post
                                IMO, for UC to be in the best possible position for a bid the following MUST happen:
                                1. UC must win (obviously)
                                2. UNE must win
                                3. Hobart must win

The following would be ideal but do not necessarily have to happen*:
                                1. Geneseo wins
                                2. Trinity wins twice
                                *if either lose they need to fall below UC in east rank. If not, UC is dead in the water.

If the five numbered things DO happen, the last bid will boil down to a UC/Marian comparison in the smoky room.
                                Heenan clearly did not read my post which was nearly spot on.

Once UNE lost, I figured UC was toast. However, Oswego's rank dropping below UC (did not foresee that happening) replaced the UNE win req't and bumped the UC/Marian comp right to the top for the last bid as expected.

Comment

Working...
                                X