Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PPACA Thread Part VI: Tax Cuts Are More Important Than Your Health Care!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The PPACA Thread Part VI: Tax Cuts Are More Important Than Your Health Care!

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    And I'm saying you don't need to be Scalia or Gorsuch and attempt to divine the founders original intent to read it as I do. You just have to read it as written in plain English.

I think you'd be surprised how much of a landslide it'd be. A clearly written, explicit Constitutional directive is one of the easiest calls for any judge to make. You'd have to really stretch the 14th Amendment to even have a cognizable argument the other way.
    And I'll counter with this. IF this was all true...don't you think the Republicans would have put it in place by now? I mean really, what would be holding them back - their commitment to fair play?
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Re: The PPACA Thread Part VI: Tax Cuts Are More Important Than Your Health Care!

Not that he needs it, but unofan is 100% right on this one.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Article II, Section 1: "Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors..."

The "Republican" form of government applies to the makeup of the state government. It doesn't apply to the choosing of electors for the electoral college.

This is also how the national popular vote compact works at the constitutional level. Because the states can apportion their EVs however the Legislature thereof chooses.
        That is a very interesting clause. The State, not the Federal establishment, sets how electors are apportioned.

Most states do Winner takes all. Two, Maine and Nebraska, give the winner of the state 2 EV and then apportion the rest by who wins each CD.

A third method would be that each voter has X number of votes. You vote for each elector individually. So elector 1 is low tax, elector 2 is isolationist, elector 3 is single payer, etc. The electors then give their EV to the candidate they feel best represents their view/position.

Since each State sets their own rules, it is not unconstitutional.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

so the nfl commish has 3 demands on his contract talks

50mm a year salary
          lifetime use of a private jet
          lifetime health insurance for him and his fam

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

50mm a year salary

Ahhh, but not what TYPE of health insurance. Would a low premium high deductible plan work??
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

50mm a year salary

I'll take "Overpaid People Who Sit Behind a Desk and Do Nothing" for $1500, please Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                I'll take "Overpaid People Who Sit Behind a Desk and Do Nothing" for $1500, please Alex.
                There is no $1,500 question
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  There is no $1,500 question
                  Sorry, haven't kept up on my Jeopardy! watching since grandma was my babysitter.

Comment

Can someone please explain to me how repealing the fine for not having Health Insurance (essentially a tax, the mandate from Obamacare) helps pay for the Tax Cut? I don't get it. Doesn't repealing that mean LESS money for the treasury? So, isn't it a tax cut in itself. They keep describing it as a spending reduction of some sort that helps pay for the Tax Cut. I really do not understand what they are talking about. I hear it on the News channels all the time. "Republicans are eliminating the mandate to help pay for the tax cut" How does that work?
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      Can someone please explain to me how repealing the fine for not having Health Insurance (essentially a tax, the mandate from Obamacare) helps pay for the Tax Cut? I don't get it. Doesn't repealing that mean LESS money for the treasury? So, isn't it a tax cut in itself. They keep describing it as a spending reduction of some sort that helps pay for the Tax Cut. I really do not understand what they are talking about. I hear it on the News channels all the time. "Republicans are eliminating the mandate to help pay for the tax cut" How does that work?
                      Removing the mandate means fewer people will sign up for Obamacare, saving money on the subsidy side of things.

Yes, you're reading that right. It will save money by letting people forego heavily subsidized health insurance.

Comment

Removing the mandate means fewer people will sign up for Obamacare, saving money on the subsidy side of things.

Yes, you're reading that right. It will save money by letting people forego heavily subsidized health insurance.
                        ROTFLMAO. You've got to be kidding. They consider that savings?
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          ROTFLMAO. You've got to be kidding. They consider that savings?
                          Yes they do.

Comment

I got hit with another 15% increase for next year. Thanks Trump.

Comment

I'm going to lower property taxes by burning down a few million houses.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                I'm going to lower property taxes by burning down a few million houses.
                                I admit to a WOOSH!, but wouldn't that raise taxes?
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X