2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
    It's actually a bigger issue than that. Leave the Canadians home where they belong. The real issue is the drop in talent that is beginning to show up at the college level...and will be an issue probably for the next couple years....the Great Recession of 2007-2011 [+ or -] means that a lot of kids who might otherwise have played hockey simply didn't play...or had to stop playing, due to the fact that mom and dad simply couldn't afford to participate [after all, hockey is no doubt the most expensive team sport...by a factor of 10]...I just think you have a combination of too many new teams and a dropping talent pool...the next few years will not be great hockey to watch.
    Not that it was great to begin with. The pool has sadly become a wading pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
      Not that it was great to begin with. The pool has sadly become a wading pool.
      How much $$$ is USAH devoting to women's development v men?
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
        How much $$$ is USAH devoting to women's development v men?
        None. They can't afford to now that they've been forced to pay the National Women's Team players.

Comment

• Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
          It's actually a bigger issue than that. Leave the Canadians home where they belong. The real issue is the drop in talent that is beginning to show up at the college level...and will be an issue probably for the next couple years....the Great Recession of 2007-2011 [+ or -] means that a lot of kids who might otherwise have played hockey simply didn't play...or had to stop playing, due to the fact that mom and dad simply couldn't afford to participate [after all, hockey is no doubt the most expensive team sport...by a factor of 10]...I just think you have a combination of too many new teams and a dropping talent pool...the next few years will not be great hockey to watch.
          Haha!! See what happens when you "leave the Canadians home".....D111 becomes just a fun rec league. And Canadian hockey will continue to flourish and grow. See ya round, sucker!

Comment

Its a good argument but unfortunately the numbers don't bear you out. As of 2015-2016 USA hockey was showing a 4.78% overall growth. More importantly all age groups were showing growth, with the strongest coming at the younger ages: http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/d...al_Reports.pdf

Having said that, if you cut the available pool of players for D3 hockey in half by effectively cutting out Canadian players you will weaken D3 hockey and, as SeymoreHockey points out, Canadian girls will keep playing (in Canadian universities) and continue to flourish north of the 49th.

I'm Canadian, but first and foremost, I want to see women's hockey grow around the world. The best way to do is to continue to have strong D1 & D3 programs in the U.S. that can give girls from all parts of the world a chance to play at a high level.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
              I guess you could say they are the best of the new teams that have started up over the past few years but that really doesn't say much at all. All those teams have diluted and polluted the D3 waters terribly.
              There's also ACHA (club) too! No less than 68 club teams out there where girls can play. 23 teams in the 1st Division and 45 in the 2nd. Take a look at the rosters and see where these girls are from. All kinds of out-of-state tuition being paid. Adrian has not 1, but 2 club teams!

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                Haha!! See what happens when you "leave the Canadians home".....D111 becomes just a fun rec league. And Canadian hockey will continue to flourish and grow. See ya round, sucker!
                LOL nobody misses the free-loading Canadians. Basically average talent....I've don't recall ever seeing any Canadian "99's" playing D3 women's hockey.

And remember folks...it's college. it's hockey. its D-3. its women....D-3 women's college hockey...other than the 50-60 people on this board, I can assure you...Nobody Cares.

oh, and P.S. there genius....It is and has always been Rec League hockey [but maybe you were just so caught up in the majesty of it all you forgot that part]... well except when the girls played travel hockey and 99% of the time smoked whatever Canadian team they played. lol

Comment

So, let me get this straight...you grow the game in the US by having Canadians play D3 and have American girls watch from the sidelines. Ok, got it. I know you're Canadian but still, that's pretty stupid.

Comment

Hahaha....Wow, you don't get out much do ya genius! Enjoy the club class hockey.You can't develop what you don't have.

LOL nobody misses the free-loading Canadians. Basically average talent....I've don't recall ever seeing any Canadian "99's" playing D3 women's hockey.

And remember folks...it's college. it's hockey. its D-3. its women....D-3 women's college hockey...other than the 50-60 people on this board, I can assure you...Nobody Cares.

oh, and P.S. there genius....It is and has always been Rec League hockey [but maybe you were just so caught up in the majesty of it all you forgot that part]... well except when the girls played travel hockey and 99% of the time smoked whatever Canadian team they played. lol

Comment

• Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                      So, let me get this straight...you grow the game in the US by having Canadians play D3 and have American girls watch from the sidelines. Ok, got it. I know you're Canadian but still, that's pretty stupid.
                      You’re making up numbers as you go along and I’m the stupid one?

There have been a significant number of teams added in D3 over the past handful of years. If you cut the available pool of players, you decrease the talent. This slows the development of the players that play at that level.

Even you can understand that.
                      Last edited by GTOWN; 01-14-2018, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Hahaha....Wow, you don't get out much do ya genius! Enjoy the club class hockey.You can't develop what you don't have.
                        lol...I get out plenty there genius. and I see a lot of canadians who can't skate.

Comment

Spent some time with the NCAA record book and comparing to the active career point leaders:

Today Kayla Meneghin passed Emily Quizon (Middlebury '06) for 9th on the NCAA career points list with 172. Next mark on the list is 175 (Julie Fortier - Norwich '12). After that is 177, which is where current Cardinal assistant Danille Blanchard sits along with Cherie Stewart (Manhattanville '05).

Melissa Sheeran is currently at 167 points, tied with UM-Boston all time scorer Andrea Ciarletta. Carly Moran on UW-River Falls is the only other active player with over 150 points with 155.

Other players above or near the century mark for their career:

Jessica Young - Middlebury - SR - 115
                          Maddie Winslow - Middlebury - SR - 112
                          Chelsea Blackburn - Stevenson - SR - 112
                          Alex Toupal - Amherst -SR - 110
                          Olivia Spellmire - Lake Forest - SR - 107
                          Sarah Schwenzfeier - Norwich - SR - 107
                          Bek Lucas Neumann - SR - 103
                          Olivia Ellis - Oswego - SR - 98

Comment

• Anyone at the Norwich/Elmira game yesterday?
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Hey there genius. Last I checked, the "development" in any sport, and in particular hockey...takes place at the youth level. It does not take place in college...and certainly not at the D-3 level. Or are you one of those bumblefukks who thinks womens pro hockey is viable...and that the pro ranks will be filled by D-3 players? lol. Please stay up in the great white north Mr. MacKenzie. as they used to say.... aaaaaa-roooo-kooo-cooo-kooo-cookachooooo!

Comment

Hey there genius. Last I checked, the "development" in any sport, and in particular hockey...takes place at the youth level. It does not take place in college...and certainly not at the D-3 level. Or are you one of those bumblefukks who thinks womens pro hockey is viable...and that the pro ranks will be filled by D-3 players? lol. Please stay up in the great white north Mr. MacKenzie. as they used to say.... aaaaaa-roooo-kooo-cooo-kooo-cookachooooo!
                                Development takes place at all levels there Gomer. Remove or spread out the higher quality players and watch your development slow. Dilute your product by expanding too quickly and watch development slow. My god, you're stupid. And ignorant too. The NCAA has used high quality Canadian players to develop your hockey product for decades. Your should be thanking Canada, not trying to insult us. But then again, why expect anything else from you.
                                Last edited by SeymoreHockey; 01-24-2018, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X