Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Among your many good points, this stuck out to me:

"....an administration that is athletically minded..."

I really believe this is the biggest factor in the whole thing. Plattsburgh and Norwich, among others, are known as "hockey schools." That reputation comes from having the full support of the administration in my opinion. Until you do that as a school you're just going through the motions compared to the Plattsburghs, etc.

Comment

• Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

For once, I concur. Plattsburgh is not just a hockey school, it's a hockey town. The locals embrace the players and make them feel like rock stars both on and off the ice. It's quite an endearing thing to witness.

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
      Among your many good points, this stuck out to me:

I really believe this is the biggest factor in the whole thing. Plattsburgh and Norwich, among others, are known as "hockey schools." That reputation comes from having the full support of the administration in my opinion. Until you do that as a school you're just going through the motions compared to the Plattsburghs, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
        For once, I concur. Plattsburgh is not just a hockey school, it's a hockey town. The locals embrace the players and make them feel like rock stars both on and off the ice. It's quite an endearing thing to witness.
        And I'm sure it leaves them with an unbelievable experience and memories that they'll cherish for the rest of their lives, and that has nothing to do with all the titles. Well, the titles don't hurt. LOL.

Comment

And I'm sure it leaves them with an unbelievable experience and memories that they'll cherish for the rest of their lives, and that has nothing to do with all the titles. Well, the titles don't hurt. LOL.
          That's one thing I have to say Castleton does extremely well. Their Blue Line Club supports the men's and women's hockey teams equally (it's right in their mandate). As a parent it was very comforting to see my daughter embraced by a (small) group of fans and supporters. I'm not familiar with the Plattsburgh experience but there's a hardcore group that really supports and cares for the players at Castleton.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
            Ok, so Plattsburgh is clearly known as a hockey school/town. So what are the other SUNY schools/towns known for? What is their specialty?

Comment

Ok, so Plattsburgh is clearly known as a hockey school/town. So what are the other SUNY schools/towns known for? What is their specialty?
              Brockport - Football school. Also pretty good at soccer and women's volleyball.

Buffalo State - Not really a powerhouse in anything. Usually competitive in soccer and softball. I went to a football game when I visited as a prospective student at an open house weekend and attendance was decent despite how cold it was (both the air and the metal bleachers), granted the attendance may have been bolstered by other prospective students like me as tickets were given out to open house attendees.

Cortland - Football, baseball, lacrosse (dominant in both genders), softball, field hockey, generally good at most sports that aren't hockey.

Fredonia - I don't know offhand what's most popular on campus. Basketball and Soccer both have decent sized lists on their school HOF.

Geneseo - I would consider them a hockey school. Swimming is also a good program there.

New Paltz - Don't know. They have some women's basketball conference championships.

Oneonta - Basketball, Soccer (used to play up in D1 and D2 if I recall correctly).

Oswego - hockey school. Also good in men's basketball and some other sports. I imagine Prez knows better than I do.

Plattsburgh - hockey school, basketball is popular as a program on campus as well. Soccer is usually competitive, softball was good but they took a step backward when Ashley Marshall graduated. Men's lacrosse just ended Cortland's run as the SUNYAC champions and is starting a women's team next academic year.

Potsdam - Men's basketball has had the most success. Not sure what's most popular up there,

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post

Buffalo State - Not really a powerhouse in anything. Usually competitive in soccer and softball. I went to a football game when I visited as a prospective student at an open house weekend and attendance was decent despite how cold it was (both the air and the metal bleachers), granted the attendance may have been bolstered by other prospective students like me as tickets were given out to open house attendees.

Cortland - Football, baseball, lacrosse (dominant in both genders), softball, field hockey, generally good at most sports that aren't hockey.

Fredonia - I don't know offhand what's most popular on campus. Basketball and Soccer both have decent sized lists on their school HOF.

Geneseo - I would consider them a hockey school. Swimming is also a good program there.

New Paltz - Don't know. They have some women's basketball conference championships.

Oneonta - Basketball, Soccer (used to play up in D1 and D2 if I recall correctly).

Oswego - hockey school. Also good in men's basketball and some other sports. I imagine Prez knows better than I do.

Plattsburgh - hockey school, basketball is popular as a program on campus as well. Soccer is usually competitive, softball was good but they took a step backward when Ashley Marshall graduated. Men's lacrosse just ended Cortland's run as the SUNYAC champions and is starting a women's team next academic year.

Potsdam - Men's basketball has had the most success. Not sure what's most popular up there,
                Geneseo has VERY strong Cross Country/Track and Field. They usually are top 5 or top 10 in country for cross country year in and year out. It's not a "****/glamour" sport but XC/T&F is definitely Geneseo's best program.

Oswego has become a very strong baseball school over the last 5 years as well.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

You forgot the biggest one of all -- wrestling. Huge powerhouse in that sport. They even host a tournament which includes some of the top Division I schools.

Definitely lacrosse if you had to pick one. But you are correct, generally good at everything except hockey. Overall, they have always been considered a "jock" school.

Used to be a big time baseball school, and briefly hockey. Not so much anymore.

Very good in women's soccer.

Correct. They stuck with D1 soccer far longer than I ever expected them to. Their crosstown fellow D3 school, Hartwick, continues to stick with D1 soccer.

Hockey school, period. Just look at their arena...

Back in the day, like when I went there, yes, they were a true blue basketball school. Winningest program of the 80s on any level in college basketball. Five time national finalist, two time national champion, 60-game winning streak (second longest in NCAA men's history tied with San Francisco). One of the hardest tickets in town to come by during playoff time.

Now, not so much... Attendance wise, if the hockey team is doing well, they outdraw everyone, but not at the level of a Plattsburgh or Oswego.
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                    You forgot the biggest one of all -- wrestling. Huge powerhouse in that sport. They even host a tournament which includes some of the top Division I schools.

Definitely lacrosse if you had to pick one. But you are correct, generally good at everything except hockey. Overall, they have always been considered a "jock" school.

Used to be a big time baseball school, and briefly hockey. Not so much anymore.

Very good in women's soccer.

Correct. They stuck with D1 soccer far longer than I ever expected them to. Their crosstown fellow D3 school, Hartwick, continues to stick with D1 soccer.

Hockey school, period. Just look at their arena...

Back in the day, like when I went there, yes, they were a true blue basketball school. Winningest program of the 80s on any level in college basketball. Five time national finalist, two time national champion, 60-game winning streak (second longest in NCAA men's history tied with San Francisco). One of the hardest tickets in town to come by during playoff time.

Now, not so much... Attendance wise, if the hockey team is doing well, they outdraw everyone, but not at the level of a Plattsburgh or Oswego.
                    And the red headed step child to the school on the other side of the river.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      And the red headed step child to the school on the other side of the river.
                      When Clarkson has a poor season, Potsdam outdraws them if they are good that year.
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Among your many good points, this stuck out to me:

Does anyone have any insight into how Adrian stays at/near the top?

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                          Does anyone have any insight into how Adrian stays at/near the top?
                          In addition to coaching and institutional support, Adrian is one of the few collegiate opportunities in Michigan for women at any level (and until Trine started this year the only D3 women's program between Illinois and Pennsylvania unless I'm forgetting someone) and Michigan appears to have a strong base in terms of girls hockey programs. The current roster of 28 is split 17-11 in favor of Michigan players. So I would hypothesize location helps bring in the Michigan girls (and probably the ones from Ohio, Illinois and Indiana), the support and history of success brings in the rest.

I'm interested to see if/when Trine, who is pretty close to Adrian in Angola, IN, can cut into some of Adrian's geographical advantage enough to matter. The institution with the help of donations made a big commitment to hockey in building their own rink as opposed to playing in existing building (like Wilkes, Kings and LVC have done to start). They have 19 players and are 1-5 so far, but they're not even the worst defensively (they're down there, but they're still some teams behind them).

Comment

Adrian draws about half of their girls from either Honeybaked, Little Caesars or Belle Tire, all very good programs in the Detroit area. While historically LC and Honeybaked have been the more dominant teams, Belle Tire seems to be getting it done the past few years with the 16U program winning the National Championship last season. Michigan does have some good players and Adrian gets their share of those that don't get the D1 nod. that being said, if Oakland University can land a D1 program in the near future, this will probably cut into Adrian's pool more that Trine will, at least while the programs gets its feet underneath it. Michigan and Michigan State SHOULD both have programs, but for whatever reason do not, that's another story entirely.

In addition to coaching and institutional support, Adrian is one of the few collegiate opportunities in Michigan for women at any level (and until Trine started this year the only D3 women's program between Illinois and Pennsylvania unless I'm forgetting someone) and Michigan appears to have a strong base in terms of girls hockey programs. The current roster of 28 is split 17-11 in favor of Michigan players. So I would hypothesize location helps bring in the Michigan girls (and probably the ones from Ohio, Illinois and Indiana), the support and history of success brings in the rest.

I'm interested to see if/when Trine, who is pretty close to Adrian in Angola, IN, can cut into some of Adrian's geographical advantage enough to matter. The institution with the help of donations made a big commitment to hockey in building their own rink as opposed to playing in existing building (like Wilkes, Kings and LVC have done to start). They have 19 players and are 1-5 so far, but they're not even the worst defensively (they're down there, but they're still some teams behind them).

Comment

• There always seems to be talk about why there aren't D1 women's programs in Michigan at schools that already have D1 men's programs, but isn't it surprising that there are only two D3 colleges in Michigan with men's and women's hockey?! Wouldn't you think there would be more? Aren't there a bunch of D3 schools scattered around the state? I guess I'm surprised there's never been a D3 men's conference of any kind in Michigan like there has been in MA, MN, and NY. Anyone know the history here?

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
                                Adrian draws about half of their girls from either Honeybaked, Little Caesars or Belle Tire, all very good programs in the Detroit area. While historically LC and Honeybaked have been the more dominant teams, Belle Tire seems to be getting it done the past few years with the 16U program winning the National Championship last season. Michigan does have some good players and Adrian gets their share of those that don't get the D1 nod. that being said, if Oakland University can land a D1 program in the near future, this will probably cut into Adrian's pool more that Trine will, at least while the programs gets its feet underneath it. Michigan and Michigan State SHOULD both have programs, but for whatever reason do not, that's another story entirely.
                                Plattsburgh recruited 3 freshman from Michigan programs this year (1 Belle Tire, 1 Little Caesars and 1 from the Lansing Spartans Hockey Club) and they've all been good. They also already have 2 Little Caesars forwards committed for next year. LC's other announced commitment from the 2018 class is bound for Elmira. They're representing themselves well across the top of D3.

Comment

Working...
                                X