Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
    No surprises in the end results last night but there were some tough moments in some of the games.

Utica found themselves down 2-1 against hosts 3-11-2 Salem State, but Taylor Osowski scored two goals in four minutes in the third to secure a 3-2 win for Utica.

UMB came back from a 2nd period shortie from Connecticut College's Katlyn Paiva to take a 2-1 lead midway through the game, but the Camels had a comeback of their own. They scored three straight goals to beat the Beacons 4-2.

Over in Kenyon Arena, the #1/2 Plattsburgh Cardinals had a fight on their hands against the host Panthers. Melissa Sheeran scored her 12th goal off a feed from the returning RW Meghan Kraus early in the 1st period. Middlebury owned play the second period, scoring early on a Maddie Winslow feed to Sidney Portner even strength then got 6 minutes of power play time thanks to three Cardinal penalties (Millen for tripping, McArdle for slashing and Millen again for checking). The Cards broke the tie with Millen's streaking forward alone turning into a Kayla Meneghin rebound (Baye Flanagan picked up her 8th point in 8 games on the secondary assist). The Cards then hung on as the Panther offense had the Cards on defense for most of the rest of the third, but the Cards prevailed for a 2-1 victory. Middlebury dropped 42 shots on the Cardinals last night, and my going through the box scores shows it as the first time the defending champs have faced that many shots since 1/28/12.

In less competitive action, Hamilton cruised past Potsdam 3-0, Colby decimated 2-20-2 Post University by a score of 8-0 and #1/2 Norwich also skated to a figure 8, blowing by NEHC foe Castleton 8-1 in the only conference game of the night.

Scott,
    just a quick note on the Norwich/Castleton game: Castleton held up for 2 periods (3-0 after 2) but they lost a D (only started the game with 4) and their top center (Briand) late in the second. Didn't have a hope from there so coach put in her freshman goalie and played a few girls that don't usually see ice time.
    Not saying Castleton would have won but they were actually staying close against Norwich for most of the first and second period....until the wheels fell off.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
      Scott,
      just a quick note on the Norwich/Castleton game: Castleton held up for 2 periods (3-0 after 2) but they lost a D (only started the game with 4) and their top center (Briand) late in the second. Didn't have a hope from there so coach put in her freshman goalie and played a few girls that don't usually see ice time.
      Not saying Castleton would have won but they were actually staying close against Norwich for most of the first and second period....until the wheels fell off.
      Sorry to hear some players on an already short bench got hurt. Hopefully they recover soon...at least they were able to use the game to get a learning experience for the younger players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
        Sorry to hear some players on an already short bench got hurt. Hopefully they recover soon...at least they were able to use the game to get a learning experience for the younger players.
        Apparently the freshman goalie was quite frazzled after the game. Can’t be easy going in cold in the third period....against Norwich....and it’s the first time you’ve ever been in a game. Welcome to college hockey!

Comment

Are there any rumblings or rumors as to who is most likely to host the final 4? Or any rumors to who has submitted a bid?

Comment

• Originally posted by D3WomensHockey View Post
            Are there any rumblings or rumors as to who is most likely to host the final 4? Or any rumors to who has submitted a bid?
            Just book your trip to Plattsburgh now and avoid the rush.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
              Just book your trip to Plattsburgh now and avoid the rush.
              Don't count out Northfield. It's the NCAA rankings that will determine this. Norwich still only has one loss... Not that we wouldn't enjoy the company, but Plattsburgh's only two losses this year have come on home ice!
              Steve
              Penn State Class of '95
              Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by D3WomensHockey View Post
                It depends on who makes the final four. So, the rumor is, one of the teams in the final four will host it...
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                  It depends on who makes the final four. So, the rumor is, one of the teams in the final four will host it...
                  I hate anonymous sources.... just tell us where you get your information!
                  Steve
                  Penn State Class of '95
                  Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                    Don't count out Northfield. It's the NCAA rankings that will determine this. Norwich still only has one loss... Not that we wouldn't enjoy the company, but Plattsburgh's only two losses this year have come on home ice!
                    Not completely. If your facility is incapable of hosting the final four (or not available), you won't get it (and those requirements are more stringent than simply hosting an earlier round NCAA playoff game) even if you are the number one overall seed. And you actually have to put in a bid for it, or you can't be considered (see UMass-Dartmouth men play-in round...), no matter who you are or what facility you have.

Of course, Norwich will not have that problem. But you get my point.
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                      I hate anonymous sources.... just tell us where you get your information!
                      The voices in my head... (Isn't that where all Internet information is from?)
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by D3WomensHockey View Post
                        Tuesday, Feb. 13 will give you the first glimpse when the NCAA releases its regional rankings. The No. 1 seed from the East in those rankings will be the "favorite" to land the hosting bid should they meet the requirements (which I believe Plattsburgh, Elmira, Norwich and Middlebury all do).
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                          Tuesday, Feb. 13 will give you the first glimpse when the NCAA releases its regional rankings. The No. 1 seed from the East in those rankings will be the "favorite" to land the hosting bid should they meet the requirements (which I believe Plattsburgh, Elmira, Norwich and Middlebury all do).
                          Don't 8/9 play at #1 on Friday?
                          Last edited by joecct; 02-02-2018, 11:27 AM.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                            Not completely. If your facility is incapable of hosting the final four (or not available), you won't get it (and those requirements are more stringent than simply hosting an earlier round NCAA playoff game) even if you are the number one overall seed. And you actually have to put in a bid for it, or you can't be considered (see UMass-Dartmouth men play-in round...), no matter who you are or what facility you have.

Of course, Norwich will not have that problem. But you get my point.
                            But will they have a men vs women conflict ala Plattsburgh a few years back? Plattsburgh won't have that issue this year... (or do the dates work this year?)
                            Remy Babineaux
                            remyb616@gmail.com
                            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                              But will they have a men vs women conflict ala Plattsburgh a few years back? Plattsburgh won't have that issue this year... (or do the dates work this year?)
                              Good point. The women's championship weekend corresponds with the men's quarterfinal weekend. So, Norwich could have an issue there. It will be up to the school to decide who they prioritize, like Plattsburgh had to. If it comes to that.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

I've been reading this thread for some time now and thought I'd throw this comment out there.

When are USCHO, NCAA, This Thread and everyone going to give kudo's to the player(s) who are the best OVERALL players.....In goals, assists, special teams. The player(s) who can step up when they need some offensive but also the player who is great at defense too. It seems that all the awards are given to the player(s) with the numbers(goals) regardless who they play against. Come on...we all know some of the teams can get 12 goals against weak teams, so goal numbers are a little out of wack. Does anyone look at how these players get goals? I'm talking about the ones who are all out for themselves. The ones who take shots when there is no shot to be taken? The ones who may have the goals, but aren't an "entire" team player. When are people going to get past the "numbers" and look at the players with the "numbers" and "SKILLS and TALENT!!!" I know it takes skills and talent to get goals, but it also takes skill and talent to work the power kill, to be a defensive player and help your team whenever they step on the ice. The player with the (+-) numbers ---your team scores whenever they are on the ice and prevents the other team from scoring when they are on the ice. Those are the player(s) I'm talking about.

I just wish write-ups and awards could go to the "ENTIRE" player(s). The ones that are great "with the puck and without it". (you all know what type of player(s) I mean)
                                Just thought I'd finally throw this comment out there for some feed back!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X