2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

Plattsburgh hosts Oswego this weekend for some conference action. The Cards are coming off a 3-0 win over a pretty good team in the Toronto Jr Aeros, who boast about a dozen DI Commits. But in terms of official competition, this is their chance to bounce back from last week's loss to Norwich. Oswego has steadily got better year-by-year, and showed last year that they can defeat the Cardinals if PSUC doesn't bring their A-game. So, is this the year that the Lakers take an even bigger stride toward sharing conference glory with the national champions, or do the Cardinals use this weekend to get some winning momentum before facing very stiff competition in next week's UNO Classic
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

• Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
      Plattsburgh hosts Oswego this weekend for some conference action. The Cards are coming off a 3-0 win over a pretty good team in the Toronto Jr Aeros, who boast about a dozen DI Commits. But in terms of official competition, this is their chance to bounce back from last week's loss to Norwich. Oswego has steadily got better year-by-year, and showed last year that they can defeat the Cardinals if PSUC doesn't bring their A-game. So, is this the year that the Lakers take an even bigger stride toward sharing conference glory with the national champions, or do the Cardinals use this weekend to get some winning momentum before facing very stiff competition in next week's UNO Classic
      Look for the Cards to sweep quite handily after their loss to Norwich, not to mention they won't let a repeat of last year's mistake with the Lakers happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        Look for the Cards to sweep quite handily after their loss to Norwich, not to mention they won't let a repeat of last year's mistake with the Lakers happen again.
        0-0 after 1...SOG Platts 15-Oswego-6

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
          0-0 after 1...SOG Platts 15-Oswego-6
          End of 2.....Plattsburgh 2..Oswego 0.....SOG Platts 32-Oswego 13

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
            End of 2.....Plattsburgh 2..Oswego 0.....SOG Platts 32-Oswego 13
            Final 4-0 plattsburgh over Oswego...missed the shot total.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

UW-River Falls beat UW-Eau Claire 4-1 today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                Final 4-0 plattsburgh over Oswego...missed the shot total.
                48-24.
                Last edited by shelfit; 11-20-2017, 08:07 AM.

Comment

The Plattsburgh web stream announcer says Oswego starting goalie Mariah Madrigal, who left Saturday's game in the middle of the 1st period with an injury has been spotted moving around Stafford on crutches. Looks like the Lakers may be without her for some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                    The Plattsburgh web stream announcer says Oswego starting goalie Mariah Madrigal, who left Saturday's game in the middle of the 1st period with an injury has been spotted moving around Stafford on crutches. Looks like the Lakers may be without her for some time.
                    Just so you all know, the stream announcer for Plattsburgh is Tyler Clemons. He is a Broadcast Journalism student at SUNY Plattsburgh from Carthage, NY. That is the village right next to my hometown (Separated by the Black River) of West Carthage, NY

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                      Just so you all know, the stream announcer for Plattsburgh is Tyler Clemons. He is a Broadcast Journalism student at SUNY Plattsburgh from Carthage, NY. That is the village right next to my hometown (Separated by the Black River) of West Carthage, NY
                      That's the most exciting thing to come out of this weekend's series with Oswego, which of course doesn't say a whole lot about the quality of the two games.

Comment

• So the real question is how does a team like Oswego, or any other team in this very weak conference, become competitive with Plattsburgh? Is it ever going to be possible? The immediate answer is no but I'd love to read others' thoughts on this question and what other schools/programs are going to have to do to compete with and beat Plattsburgh. Can any of the other teams in this conference ever catch up? I'm sure non-conference opponents would also like to read about any possible solutions to this question.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                          So the real question is how does a team like Oswego, or any other team in this very weak conference, become competitive with Plattsburgh? Is it ever going to be possible? The immediate answer is no but I'd love to read others' thoughts on this question and what other schools/programs are going to have to do to compete with and beat Plattsburgh. Can any of the other teams in this conference ever catch up? I'm sure non-conference opponents would also like to read about any possible solutions to this question.
                          First off, there are a few other programs (Adrian, Norwich for instance) that one could argue already play at that level. However, I think the broader objective is to get 7-10 teams playing at that level. There are 2 ways to do that:

1. A whole bunch of teams need to get better
                          2. Plattsburgh needs to get worse.

Let me say that I don't think Plattsburgh will get worse any time soon. Which leaves us with how do other teams get better....a long winded way of getting back to shelfit's original question.

Let me outline some of the advantages I see that Plattsburgh has:

1. Long term coach (very good long term coach)
                          2. Stability in systems / expectations (see item #1 above)
                          3. Excellent recruiting (see item #1 above again)
                          4. A helpful school administration (think scholarships, financial aid, team budget)
                          5. Top notch facilities
                          6. Athletic tradition - don't know if they had this before but they've clearly developed a following on campus.
                          7. Respect for opponents. My daughter tells me that the Platty players may be cocky on the ice but off the ice they are respectful (unlike other schools she plays against)

And finally
                          8. I hesitate to bring this up but it's common knowledge that they've brought in at least a few girls that couldn't make it through the NCAA clearinghouse to play D1 (D1 skill but not D1 academics)

All these things can be replicated, you need: time, good recruiting, an administration that is athletically minded....and a little luck to start you off.

One man's thoughts....hopefully there are more out there!

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                            And finally
                            8. I hesitate to bring this up but it's common knowledge that they've brought in at least a few girls that couldn't make it through the NCAA clearinghouse to play D1 (D1 skill but not D1 academics)

All these things can be replicated, you need: time, good recruiting, an administration that is athletically minded....and a little luck to start you off.

One man's thoughts....hopefully there are more out there!
                            This happens at all the top D3 programs in every sport. Just look closely at Mt. Union football. RIT men's hockey, back in their D3 days, also took advantage of this.

Nothing wrong with that.
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                              This happens at all the top D3 programs in every sport. Just look closely at Mt. Union football. RIT men's hockey, back in their D3 days, also took advantage of this.

Nothing wrong with that.
                              It's still happening. There are players on both the NU men's and women's teams that didn't pass clearinghouse.
                              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                                It's still happening. There are players on both the NU men's and women's teams that didn't pass clearinghouse.
                                No doubt it happens but the original post was asking for thoughts on what it might take to get to Plattsburgh's level. I was just pointing out that it is very helpful if a school is willing to do that....because not every school would. I was a little hesitant to bring it up only because I didn't want the Plattsburgh fans to go on a tirade.

It is happening, it is impactful, but not every school is willing to accept a student who doesn't meet their academic criteria in order to make an athletic team better. No judgement, just explaining some of the factors that might be giving Plattsburgh an edge.

Comment

Working...
                                X