X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

And we have a new #1.
    Norwich 4 Plattsburgh 3 FINAL
    Last edited by joecct; 11-08-2017, 08:02 PM.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Norwich beats Plattsburgh for the first time since February 8, 2012.

Good game from the Cadets. Sucks to see the Cards lose but better get the wake up call now than in March. The underclassmen definitely need to play a tighter game next time they play a team of this caliber. The defense looked like they were really missing the experience of Brand, Duquette and Crandell out there.
      Last edited by Scott_TG; 11-08-2017, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Great contest. 4-3 final. New #1

Comment

• Watched the first 5:06 of the 1st period before I had other priorities that needed my attention but what a great start to the game...4 goals (2 each) in the first 5 minutes (and 6 seconds) of the game! Nice! Then I was able to tune back in for about the last 5 minutes of the game. Wow, I think I saw the best 10 minutes of the whole game! Congrats to Norwich. The Cardinals will rebound and get better as a result of this loss. They might not lose again this season. Way to go Cadets.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
            Watched the first 5:06 of the 1st period before I had other priorities that needed my attention but what a great start to the game...4 goals (2 each) in the first 5 minutes (and 6 seconds) of the game! Nice! Then I was able to tune back in for about the last 5 minutes of the game. Wow, I think I saw the best 10 minutes of the whole game! Congrats to Norwich. The Cardinals will rebound and get better as a result of this loss. They might not lose again this season. Way to go Cadets.

It's good for D3 hockey to have a couple of teams push Plattsburgh. Too much dominance doesn't foster competition. Hopefully we get to a situation where there are 5-6 top schools across the country pushing each other and the next group of schools!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
              Man, I hate to support CrossCheck but here it goes....

The original premise was that Plattsburgh has no serious competition in their new league (they don't) and therefore will not be prepared for the NCAAs. I pointed out that they have never really had serious competition in their league (except for Elmira and maybe one other sporadically) and it doesn't appear to hurt them come NCAA time. Russell pointed out that no league has more than 1 or 2 good teams, which is generally true.

However, I would have to support CrossCheck's assertion that this is not completely correct and that the NESCAC does frequently have multiple high competition teams. In addition to Middlebury and Amherst, Williams and Trinity have won the league in recent years as an example and others (Connecticut) have been close. The league almost always has 4 or more teams that are highly competitive and consistently challenge other NCAA bound teams. There are very few blowouts in the NESCAC between any two teams including Middlebury. No other league has a deeper competitive balance. In fact, I would argue that this in fact serves to the detriment of NESCAC NCAA participants as it wears the teams down while teams from other conferences are far fresher come NCAA time because they play their 3rd and 4th lines all third period in most league games.

By the way, Jim Plumer's 4th year at Amherst was like 10 years ago, so who cares that they weren't competitive before then - other NESCAC teams were instead of them (although Middlebury did have more of a stranglehold then).
              Is this 'deeper competitive balance' as a 'detriment' a new phenomenon to the NESCAC? Serious question. The NESCAC has sent teams to the FF in 11 of 16 years. In '07 and '09 they actually sent 2 teams. Their teams have won it 5 times and placed 2nd twice. Not too shabby. Is the recent drop off because they are now beating each other up more than they use to?

Comment

While the season is still young, it is hard to imagine watching a more exciting game than Norwich's 4-3 win over Plattsburgh this evening at Stafford. The 600 or so fans got to witness that rarest event, a Cardinal home loss. Stafford has been a scene of some Cadet frustration in recent years, Norwich's last victory coming 2/8/12 in that crazy 8-7 OT game. I am sure the four goals scored in the first 5 minutes of play (possibly on a total of 9 shots by both teams) made some think of that wild one. Norwich won the opening faceoff, Labbe got the puck deep in the right corner; her centering pass was deflected, Conway had a whack and with Plattsburgh goalie Abbott moving, McGovern found the twine from low to Abbott's stickside. The Cardinals came right back with Sheeran passing off the half boards to Songin on left point; Songin made a move, stepped in around a forward, handcuffed Norwich goalie King with a wrist shot that resulted in Meneghin burying the rebound from her gloveside. Moriarty netted the Cardinal's second goal with a low shot from the right circle (assists to Millen and Krause). A minute later Toews pitchforked a backhand over Abbott (assists to Herne and Benoit). 2-2 about 5 minutes into the game. Norwich continued to buzz around the Plattsburgh goal and had the Cardinals a bit back on their heels. Goal play improved on both ends of the ice. King made herself big stuffing Millen on a pass to the top of the crease at 15:20; Abbott withstood a series of Cadet tries at 17: and King flashed a nifty left pad on a Cardinal 2x1 at 17:37. Plattsburgh came out with renewed energy in the 2nd and play was even with the Cardinals outshooting the Cadets 13-11 for the period, but the score stayed 2-2 going into the 3rd. Norwich took the lead on a powerplay goal. Conway dug the puck off the end boards to Labbe; Labbe found space, curled off the left half boards and threaded a pass across to McGovern for a one timer, low on the ice under Abbott. Labbe got the game winner poking home the rebound of a Conway shot from the top of the crease. Plattsburgh drew within one on a powerplay. Kiraly passed from the top of the umbrella to Sheeran on the right half boards; Sheeran went strong to the net, King fought off the shot but Meneghin pounced on the rebound, which she put in low to King's stickside. Coach Houle took his time out and then pulled his goalie with a faceoof in the Norwich end at 18:25. Cadet Foley made a play with her stick, catching an attempt to send the puck right point on net and skating to clear the zone. Seconds remained as the puck found a streaking Meneghin, who was in on King only to have the goalie flash her right pad clearing the breakaway attempt. Time expired, the score remained 4-3 and we must presume the Cardinal's amazing run on top of the USCHO poll will come to an end.
                Congratulations to the Cadets and Coach Bolding on their win and the Cardinals and Coach Houle on the reign. While it just began, we seem to have a new season!

Comment

• Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                  While the season is still young, it is hard to imagine watching a more exciting game than Norwich's 4-3 win over Plattsburgh this evening at Stafford. The 600 or so fans got to witness that rarest event, a Cardinal home loss. Stafford has been a scene of some Cadet frustration in recent years, Norwich's last victory coming 2/8/12 in that crazy 8-7 OT game. I am sure the four goals scored in the first 5 minutes of play (possibly on a total of 9 shots by both teams) made some think of that wild one. Norwich won the opening faceoff, Labbe got the puck deep in the right corner; her centering pass was deflected, Conway had a whack and with Plattsburgh goalie Abbott moving, McGovern found the twine from low to Abbott's stickside. The Cardinals came right back with Sheeran passing off the half boards to Songin on left point; Songin made a move, stepped in around a forward, handcuffed Norwich goalie King with a wrist shot that resulted in Meneghin burying the rebound from her gloveside. Moriarty netted the Cardinal's second goal with a low shot from the right circle (assists to Millen and Krause). A minute later Toews pitchforked a backhand over Abbott (assists to Herne and Benoit). 2-2 about 5 minutes into the game. Norwich continued to buzz around the Plattsburgh goal and had the Cardinals a bit back on their heels. Goal play improved on both ends of the ice. King made herself big stuffing Millen on a pass to the top of the crease at 15:20; Abbott withstood a series of Cadet tries at 17: and King flashed a nifty left pad on a Cardinal 2x1 at 17:37. Plattsburgh came out with renewed energy in the 2nd and play was even with the Cardinals outshooting the Cadets 13-11 for the period, but the score stayed 2-2 going into the 3rd. Norwich took the lead on a powerplay goal. Conway dug the puck off the end boards to Labbe; Labbe found space, curled off the left half boards and threaded a pass across to McGovern for a one timer, low on the ice under Abbott. Labbe got the game winner poking home the rebound of a Conway shot from the top of the crease. Plattsburgh drew within one on a powerplay. Kiraly passed from the top of the umbrella to Sheeran on the right half boards; Sheeran went strong to the net, King fought off the shot but Meneghin pounced on the rebound, which she put in low to King's stickside. Coach Houle took his time out and then pulled his goalie with a faceoof in the Norwich end at 18:25. Cadet Foley made a play with her stick, catching an attempt to send the puck right point on net and skating to clear the zone. Seconds remained as the puck found a streaking Meneghin, who was in on King only to have the goalie flash her right pad clearing the breakaway attempt. Time expired, the score remained 4-3 and we must presume the Cardinal's amazing run on top of the USCHO poll will come to an end.
                  Congratulations to the Cadets and Coach Bolding on their win and the Cardinals and Coach Houle on the reign. While it just began, we seem to have a new season!
                  Thank you for a great recap as usual!

Comment

Great recap as usual. Have a request for all us senior citizens with failing eyes.....could you use some paragraph breaks so we can better read your informative posts? Thanks!!!

I also find it amusing that one loss over the course of an entire year means you lose the top ranking. Interesting.

Originally posted by obserbear View Post

Comment

Lady Cardinals earn NCAA penalties

I admit I don't hear much of the gossip, but am I the only one that had no idea about this? Anyone know who the two players might be suspended for an NCAA game in 2018?
                      Steve
                      Penn State Class of '95
                      Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                        Great recap as usual. Have a request for all us senior citizens with failing eyes.....could you use some paragraph breaks so we can better read your informative posts? Thanks!!!

I also find it amusing that one loss over the course of an entire year means you lose the top ranking. Interesting.
                        Roger the paragraph request.
                        When you are #2 and go on the road and take down #1, in my book you are #1! The Cadets earned it.
                        Last edited by obserbear; 11-09-2017, 10:39 AM. Reason: ,

Comment

The NCAA suspension of two unnamed Cardinals for one game of the 2018 playoffs could be a big issue come tournament time. When will people understand recording illegal activities and posting the evidence on social media is just not as good an idea as it appeared in the moment
                          Last edited by obserbear; 11-09-2017, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                            Lady Cardinals earn NCAA penalties

I admit I don't hear much of the gossip, but am I the only one that had no idea about this? Anyone know who the two players might be suspended for an NCAA game in 2018?
                            This is bull****. All the teams were doing it. I saw GAC and Adrian smuggling beer into the rink. I stayed at the same hotel Norwich was at and someone in their gear came up to me as I was checking out and offered me the rest of their beer because they couldn't take it on the plane. Were they sanctioned as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                              This is bull****. All the teams were doing it. I saw GAC and Adrian smuggling beer into the rink. I stayed at the same hotel Norwich was at and someone in their gear came up to me as I was checking out and offered me the rest of their beer because they couldn't take it on the plane. Were they sanctioned as well?
                              See comment below about social media. I'd love to know who sent the video to the NCAA.....

Also odd, is I don't see any comment from Plattsburgh State, or that Plattsburgh declined to comment. Were they even asked about it?
                              Last edited by spwood; 11-09-2017, 12:47 PM.
                              Steve
                              Penn State Class of '95
                              Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                                See comment below about social media. I'd love to know who sent the video to the NCAA.....
                                They probably have made social media friends with girls from their junior/prep school days who are now on the teams they were playing. Fast forward to college and having sour grapes about losing and they decide to snitch.

Comment

Working...
                                X