Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
    Many first year teams have short benches....
    Elmira, granted in a different era, began their program, and won back to back NCAA DIII titles in the first 2 seasons of play...
    Last edited by obserbear; 11-30-2017, 08:22 AM. Reason: ,

Comment

• Originally posted by obserbear View Post
      Elmira, granted in a different era, began their program, and won back to back NCAA DIII titles in the first 2 seasons of play...
      Can you say, "Apples & Oranges"?!

Comment

Endicott... currently in its 3rd year as varsity but top 10 ranked last spring

Comment

It's a little before my time but given their commitment to women's hockey, I'm going to guess they had a very strong school commitment to the program from the start.
          And as you mentioned a different era, but still possible at least.

Even Northland was able to field a full roster in their first year and they're a small school in the middle of nowhere....

Comment

Originally posted by NoChangeOnIcing View Post
            Endicott... currently in its 3rd year as varsity but top 10 ranked last spring
            Coach McPhee has done a very good job at Endicott. He's enthusiastic and dedicated to recruiting. I thought Coach Lewis did a good job over at Johnson and Wales for the 2 years she was there, putting a hard-working team on the ice. A unique team too, as I recall, w/ a number of Swedish players on it.

Comment

Hey just wondering after reading some of these interesting posts regarding DIII hockey, do these schools give out scholarships or financial aid ? And does a DIII commitment page/thread exist ??

Comment

• Originally posted by slapshot willy View Post
                Hey just wondering after reading some of these interesting posts regarding DIII hockey, do these schools give out scholarships or financial aid ? And does a DIII commitment page/thread exist ??
                No scholarships, just aid. The aid must be in proportion to the aid given to the student body. For example, giving financial aid to the 20 Canadians on the hockey team, but not the 80 Canadians in the physics department is a no no.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
                  Coach McPhee has done a very good job at Endicott. He's enthusiastic and dedicated to recruiting. I thought Coach Lewis did a good job over at Johnson and Wales for the 2 years she was there, putting a hard-working team on the ice. A unique team too, as I recall, w/ a number of Swedish players on it.
                  Endicott did a great recruiting job even here out west. The daughter got recruited by that school and was very impressed with the effort, just decided that she didn't want to go that far from home. But you got that impression that they were serious and intended to do the program right.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    No scholarships, just aid. The aid must be in proportion to the aid given to the student body. For example, giving financial aid to the 20 Canadians on the hockey team, but not the 80 Canadians in the physics department is a no no.
                    There is a little black magic in the process. They can "stretch" the financial aid a touch, when they hand out merit scholarships most schools have a range of money for a certain GPA. Finally there's the on campus or residence job that the player just happens to get.....

Comment

Some nice matchups on tap this weekend.

Middlebury/Conn. College play 2.

St. Thomas and Augsburg in a home and home series. We'll see if the Auggies are for real this year with that 6-1 start.

Gustavus Adolphus/River Falls play next Wednesday in a big one.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        Some nice matchups on tap this weekend.

Middlebury/Conn. College play 2.

St. Thomas and Augsburg in a home and home series. We'll see if the Auggies are for real this year with that 6-1 start.

Gustavus Adolphus/River Falls play next Wednesday in a big one.
                        You appear to have overlooked an item on the schedule Prez. Will you be in Orr for the Cadet visit on 12/6? That could be a big one.

Comment

Negative. Obviously have my eye on that on as well.
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Both Plattsburgh and Adrian taking the frustrations of their low-scoring Thanksgiving weekends by drubbing alphabetically-adjacent conference opponents tonight. Adrian has a 10-1 win over Aurora and the Cards have a 5-0 lead on Potsdam.

Bowdoin beat UMB earlier today 2-1 in non-conference action. Amherst and Trinity are scoreless heading into the 2nd period.

Edit: Plattsburgh finishes off with 3 goals in the third to finish off 8-0 over Potsdam. Freshman Annie Katonka with the hat trick. Melissa Sheeran and Mackenzie Millen add 2 each and Courtney Moriarty also had 1. Kassi Abbott with her 3rd straight shutout. Rematch tomorrow in Potsdam.

In other action, Amherst is up 3-2 on Trinity late in the 2nd. UWRF and UW-Superior are tied at 1 in the 2nd and St. Thomas leads Augsburg 1-0 after 1.
                            Last edited by Scott_TG; 12-01-2017, 08:00 PM.

Comment

I'd be surprised if any team in this pathetic conference scores a goal against Plattsburgh, let alone beat them!

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                              Both Plattsburgh and Adrian taking the frustrations of their low-scoring Thanksgiving weekends by drubbing alphabetically-adjacent conference opponents tonight. Adrian has a 10-1 win over Aurora and the Cards have a 5-0 lead on Potsdam.

Bowdoin beat UMB earlier today 2-1 in non-conference action. Amherst and Trinity are scoreless heading into the 2nd period.

Edit: Plattsburgh finishes off with 3 goals in the third to finish off 8-0 over Potsdam. Freshman Annie Katonka with the hat trick. Melissa Sheeran and Mackenzie Millen add 2 each and Courtney Moriarty also had 1. Kassi Abbott with her 3rd straight shutout. Rematch tomorrow in Potsdam.

In other action, Amherst is up 3-2 on Trinity late in the 2nd. UWRF and UW-Superior are tied at 1 in the 2nd and St. Thomas leads Augsburg 1-0 after 1.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                                I'd be surprised if any team in this pathetic conference scores a goal against Plattsburgh, let alone beat them!
                                Plattsburgh wins 4-1 in Potsdam today. Way to jinx them!
                                Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                                SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                                ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                                NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                                NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                                NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                                NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Working...
                                X