2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

And Canadian content has all but disappeared......sad!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      And the red headed step child to the school on the other side of the river.
      What does St. Lawrence have to do with it?
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
        And Canadian content has all but disappeared......sad!
        As a Canadian with a daughter playing D3, I can tell you that the exchange rate really hurt last year! if it can even stay in the $0.80 range, combined with the available academic/international student scholarships you should see a few more girls come down to the U.S.

Another factor is the awakening of Canadian universities when it comes to sports (and women's hockey specifically). Although they can't give full rides, many offer a few thousand dollars which bring an already lower cost of education, even lower.

Finally, there is a widely held perception that unless you are going to an Ivy school, U.S. universities are typically inferior to Canadian universities.

Comment

Finally, there is a widely held perception that unless you are going to an Ivy school, U.S. universities are typically inferior to Canadian universities.[/QUOTE]

"Widely"? Maybe widely in Canada. But then you all think curling is a sport

Comment

• Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
            Finally, there is a widely held perception that unless you are going to an Ivy school, U.S. universities are typically inferior to Canadian universities.

"Widely"? Maybe widely in Canada. But then you all think curling is a sport [/QUOTE]

Lol. I have heard this "perception" thing before and it always makes me laugh because it is so truly ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post

"Widely"? Maybe widely in Canada. But then you all think curling is a sport [/QUOTE]

Lol...other than 2-3 schools, Canada's colleges are a sad joke...

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                Lol...other than 2-3 schools, Canada's colleges are a sad joke...[/QUOTE]

Hahaha.....speaking of jokes, you sir, don't know what the hell you're talking about. But then again, everybody already knows this.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                  As a Canadian with a daughter playing D3, I can tell you that the exchange rate really hurt last year! if it can even stay in the $0.80 range, combined with the available academic/international student scholarships you should see a few more girls come down to the U.S.

Another factor is the awakening of Canadian universities when it comes to sports (and women's hockey specifically). Although they can't give full rides, many offer a few thousand dollars which bring an already lower cost of education, even lower.

Yeah, you're right. I agree with all your points. It's kind of sad to watch DIII get so watered down right now. But then again, hockey at the Canadian collegiate level continues to grow and improve. And that's good for us.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                    Hahaha.....speaking of jokes, you sir, don't know what the hell you're talking about. But then again, everybody already knows this.[/QUOTE]

Maybe their COLLEGES aren't the best but they serve their purpose for people that are pursuing those 2-3 year degrees, just like the junior/community colleges down here. The Canadian UNIVERSITIES on the other hand are very good from all accounts especially schools like McGill, Queen's, and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                      Lol...other than 2-3 schools, Canada's colleges are a sad joke...[/QUOTE]

I'm not really going to argue the relative merits of the Canadian vs. the U.S. educational system. Every country has good schools and not so good schools. I did not say that I agreed with the assessment, after all I sent my daughter down to the U.S. to get an education and play hockey. If I didn't feel the education was up to par I wouldn't be dropping the dollars just for hockey.

I merely stated a perception in Canada as I'm not American and don't have an American point of view. For you to disparage any educational system is really unfortunate. I would put any Canadian university right up there with any American university. I believe there is actually very little to differentiate either in the overall picture.

You have Ivies, we have McGill, U of T, Queens, Western. Check the global rankings.....

You have diploma factories, so do we.....and everything in between.
                      Last edited by GTOWN; 11-22-2017, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Don't knock curling till you have tried it. In fact the US is one of the fastest growing curling nations in the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by Magicstew View Post
                          Don't knock curling till you have tried it. In fact the US is one of the fastest growing curling nations in the world.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate any activity you can do while holding a beer. I see curling in the same category as horseshoes and darts. Fun activities you can do while drinking a beer and eating a hot dog but not true athletic endeavors. But I'm not trying to start a debate. I was just poking some fun. It's growing in the US for the very reason that it's doable by non-athletes and is fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
                            Don't knock curling till you have tried it. In fact the US is one of the fastest growing curling nations in the world.
                            I appreciate any activity you can do while holding a beer. I see curling in the same category as horseshoes and darts. Fun activities you can do while drinking a beer and eating a hot dog but not true athletic endeavors. But I'm not trying to start a debate. I was just poking some fun. It's growing in the US for the very reason that it's doable by non-athletes and is fun.[/QUOTE]

https://youtu.be/MlYGaPTGII8?t=3 This one might end up over on Blackbeard's Concussion thread (which is a good thread btw)

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                              Hahaha.....speaking of jokes, you sir, don't know what the hell you're talking about. But then again, everybody already knows this.[/QUOTE]

ok Seeemore....you're right, when I think Canaduh and higher education, I think Harvard, Yale, Princeton for academics and Alabama, Ohio State, USC, Michigan for athletics...oh wait, but you have McGill. lol.

Comment

I think CrossChuck missed this reply......summed up pretty good.

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post

I'm not really going to argue the relative merits of the Canadian vs. the U.S. educational system. Every country has good schools and not so good schools. I did not say that I agreed with the assessment, after all I sent my daughter down to the U.S. to get an education and play hockey. If I didn't feel the education was up to par I wouldn't be dropping the dollars just for hockey.

I merely stated a perception in Canada as I'm not American and don't have an American point of view. For you to disparage any educational system is really unfortunate. I would put any Canadian university right up there with any American university. I believe there is actually very little to differentiate either in the overall picture.

You have Ivies, we have McGill, U of T, Queens, Western. Check the global rankings.....

You have diploma factories, so do we.....and everything in between.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                                X