Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 238

Thread: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    717

    2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

    Plattsburgh put their roster up for first day of practice. In addition to the seniors and previously known departures (Crandell and Fadel), D Brittany Mingoia (1 assist in 14 games as a freshman) has left and is on the roster at Sacred Heart, so that means the Cardinals are short a spare defenseman in case of injury.

    Any one have who else is up? Haven't had time to look...
    Last edited by Scott_TG; 10-16-2017 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Can't count
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

    Proud alumn of WQKE


    GO CARDS!!

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Canada EH!
    Posts
    199

    Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    Plattsburgh put their roster up for first day of practice. In addition to the seniors and previously known departures (Crandell and Fadel), D Brittany Mingoia (1 assist in 14 games as a freshman) has left and is on the roster at Sacred Heart, so that means the Cardinals are short a spare defenseman in case of injury.

    Any one have who else is up? Haven't had time to look...
    Castleton is up:

    http://www.castletonsports.com/sport...ster?view=list

    They're also rebuilding their D core, good news is they only have 2 seniors this year (both forwards), both key players but should give them a chance to strengthen the D over this season and next. Early indications are that Salerno clearly knows what she's doing, great vibe so far.
    Big change from last season.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by GTOWN View Post
    Early indications are that Salerno clearly knows what she's doing, great vibe so far.
    Big change from last season.
    Sadly, that's not much of a compliment to her. Castleton made a huge mistake with that hiring decision but now they're moving forward again.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Canada EH!
    Posts
    199

    Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

    Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Sadly, that's not much of a compliment to her. Castleton made a huge mistake with that hiring decision but now they're moving forward again.
    True....but it was meant as a compliment .

    it also bears pointing out that Moberg bailed on the team in mid-August last year with a decimated D core. Crappy timing and poor recruiting, you would think that coming off 2 strong years she would have been able to address her deficiencies on D but didn't. Everything just snowballed from there.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Old Lyme, CT
    Posts
    2,032

    Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

    Pulling no punches (obscure reference to 1/12/13), I cannot wait to watch Coach Salerno lead her Spartans into Stafford to face Coach Houle and his defending champion Cardinals Saturday!

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Canada EH!
    Posts
    199

    Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

    Quote Originally Posted by obserbear View Post
    Pulling no punches (obscure reference to 1/12/13), I cannot wait to watch Coach Salerno lead her Spartans into Stafford to face Coach Houle and his defending champion Cardinals Saturday!
    Won't be at the game. I will be very interested to read your observations. Castleton has a long way to go but at least seems to be pointed in the right direction!

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    36

    Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

    Four MIAC teams up here:

    http://collegehockeystats.net/1718/rosters/miacw

    Hamline has some of the years wrong. It's gotta be the deepest lineup in the MIAC. If they get any goaltending, look out.

    Eight underclassmen aren't there anymore from last year. ?
    Last edited by MND3Dad; 10-19-2017 at 04:05 PM.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Canada EH!
    Posts
    199

    Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

    First "official" prediction of the season:

    http://nehockeyconference.com/women/...0/oct19pow.php


    2017-18 NEHC Women's Ice Hockey Preseason Coaches' Poll

    Rank (1st Place Votes) Pts.
    1. Norwich University (8) 64
    2. UMass Boston 54
    3. Castleton University 44
    4. University of New England 40
    5. University of Southern Maine 29
    6. Plymouth State University 27
    7. Salve Regina University 20
    8. New England College 10

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    717

    Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

    Quote Originally Posted by GTOWN View Post
    First "official" prediction of the season:

    http://nehockeyconference.com/women/...0/oct19pow.php


    2017-18 NEHC Women's Ice Hockey Preseason Coaches' Poll

    Rank (1st Place Votes) Pts.
    1. Norwich University (8) 64
    2. UMass Boston 54
    3. Castleton University 44
    4. University of New England 40
    5. University of Southern Maine 29
    6. Plymouth State University 27
    7. Salve Regina University 20
    8. New England College 10
    Elmira tops the UCHC Preseason poll

    RANK TEAM Points (1st Place Votes)
    1. ELMIRA 72 (8)
    2. UTICA 61
    3. MANHATTANVILLE 57
    4. STEVENSON 45
    5. WILLIAM SMITH 40
    6. NEUMANN 32
    7. CHATHAM 29
    8. KING'S 13
    9. LEBANON VALLEY 11
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

    Proud alumn of WQKE


    GO CARDS!!

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Canada EH!
    Posts
    199

    Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

    Here's another:

    2017-18 Colonial Hockey Conference Coaches' Preseason Poll

    Total Points
    #1 Morrisville State (5) 47
    #2 Endicott College (2) 44
    #3 SUNY Canton 34
    #4 Johnson & Wales University 27
    #5 Becker College 21
    #6 Nichols College 14
    #7 Salem State University 9

    *First Place votes in parentheses

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Airdrie, Alberta
    Posts
    1,141

    Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

    If Plattsburgh loses a single Conference game this year, it will be a TOTAL SHOCK. I can't believe how weak these conferences are. Their success this season is totally dependent on their non-conference and "tournament" games. No conference rivalries. Kind of sad.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Old Lyme, CT
    Posts
    2,032

    Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

    The Cardinal faithful turned out on a beautiful fall afternoon to witness Plattsburgh launch their campaign to capture a fifth consecutive national championship. The Spartans have seen a budding program flounder, have made changes and what better way to see where things are at than taking on the 4 time national champ at home (in an exhibition)?
    Plattsburgh opened the scoring with Sheeran in zone accelerating wide on right wing, her shot on net and the rebound collected and deposited in goal by her perennial partner in crime Meneghin. Three minutes later Kilroy evened things for Castleton, collecting a loose puck in the high slot, her open wrist shot was in up to Plattsburgh goalie Abbott's gloveside. Krause potted the gamewinner unassisted, as she skated from the left corner along the boards, curled top of the circle, found space and beat Spartan net minder Willis gloveside. Willis made a nice grab on a drive through traffic from that Goleniak launched from the left point at about 14: I honestly had no assists on the third Plattsburgh goal (credited to Meneghin and Sheeran) as I thought Manning made a grab off a turnover in the high right circle, cutting low and beating Willis up short gloveside. Plattsburgh made it 4-1 with a classic 2x1, Millen in on the left feeding a wide open Meneghin, who closed on net and scored up.
    Early in the 2nd Plattsburgh extended the lead. Spartan goalie Willis kicked out a shot from low on her stickside, but Krause controlled the rebound, fed Sheeran in the slot and it became 5-1. The next 9 minutes saw five penalties and a show of some of the rust both squads must wear off. Perhaps Castleton had opened a bit flustered and were inspired when Klam came on (as planned) mid 2nd, perhaps everyone started playing like it was October 21 (hooking, tripping) but in any event the score remained 5-1 (despite the Cardinals peppering Klam in the Spartan net) until 13:38 of the 3rd. Wolejko came on to play goal for Plattsburgh to begin the 3rd and she was tested at 4:50 when Tvergyak exited the penalty box, collected the puck, eluded pursuit and launched a high drive that Wolejko parried with the blocker. Goleniak closed the scoring ripping a low slapshot from left point just inside the blueline, beating Klam gloveside, for the 6-1 final.
    Hope you all had a great summer.
    Thankful for the opportunity to witness the '17-'18 season unfold!!!

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Canada EH!
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by obserbear View Post
    The Cardinal faithful turned out on a beautiful fall afternoon to witness Plattsburgh launch their campaign to capture a fifth consecutive national championship. The Spartans have seen a budding program flounder, have made changes and what better way to see where things are at than taking on the 4 time national champ at home (in an exhibition)?
    Plattsburgh opened the scoring with Sheeran in zone accelerating wide on right wing, her shot on net and the rebound collected and deposited in goal by her perennial partner in crime Meneghin. Three minutes later Kilroy evened things for Castleton, collecting a loose puck in the high slot, her open wrist shot was in up to Plattsburgh goalie Abbott's gloveside. Krause potted the gamewinner unassisted, as she skated from the left corner along the boards, curled top of the circle, found space and beat Spartan net minder Willis gloveside. Willis made a nice grab on a drive through traffic from that Goleniak launched from the left point at about 14: I honestly had no assists on the third Plattsburgh goal (credited to Meneghin and Sheeran) as I thought Manning made a grab off a turnover in the high right circle, cutting low and beating Willis up short gloveside. Plattsburgh made it 4-1 with a classic 2x1, Millen in on the left feeding a wide open Meneghin, who closed on net and scored up.
    Early in the 2nd Plattsburgh extended the lead. Spartan goalie Willis kicked out a shot from low on her stickside, but Krause controlled the rebound, fed Sheeran in the slot and it became 5-1. The next 9 minutes saw five penalties and a show of some of the rust both squads must wear off. Perhaps Castleton had opened a bit flustered and were inspired when Klam came on (as planned) mid 2nd, perhaps everyone started playing like it was October 21 (hooking, tripping) but in any event the score remained 5-1 (despite the Cardinals peppering Klam in the Spartan net) until 13:38 of the 3rd. Wolejko came on to play goal for Plattsburgh to begin the 3rd and she was tested at 4:50 when Tvergyak exited the penalty box, collected the puck, eluded pursuit and launched a high drive that Wolejko parried with the blocker. Goleniak closed the scoring ripping a low slapshot from left point just inside the blueline, beating Klam gloveside, for the 6-1 final.
    Hope you all had a great summer.
    Thankful for the opportunity to witness the '17-'18 season unfold!!!
    Thanks for a great recap. Here's hoping that Plattsburgh has another strong season and that Castleton can hit the reset button!
    Hopefully we get a better result against Becker and Oswego next weekend.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    717

    Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

    Proud alumn of WQKE


    GO CARDS!!

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Old Lyme, CT
    Posts
    2,032

    Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

    #2 Adrian did graduate both goalies and players representing 2/3 of last seasons goals scored. The Bulldog Bowl may show us if Coach Davis can pull snipers out of his hat. Any "western intelligence scouting report" on the new tenders?

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Old Lyme, CT
    Posts
    2,032

    Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

    Anyone planning to be in Kreitzberg for St. Anselm exhibition against Norwich (Cadet tune up for the Bull Dog)?

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Canada EH!
    Posts
    199

    Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

    Not there, but I will be at Oswego cheering on Castleton.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    184

    Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

    Quote Originally Posted by obserbear View Post
    Anyone planning to be in Kreitzberg for St. Anselm exhibition against Norwich (Cadet tune up for the Bull Dog)?
    No obserbear, you going? Those two teams aren't wasting any time getting down to business! I thought St. A's was really something last year. They seemed big, physical, and well coached. Have fun if you go.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by obserbear View Post
    Anyone planning to be in Kreitzberg for St. Anselm exhibition against Norwich (Cadet tune up for the Bull Dog)?
    Norwich up 5-1 after 2nd....

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Old Lyme, CT
    Posts
    2,032

    Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

    Quote Originally Posted by Genbeau View Post
    Norwich up 5-1 after 2nd....
    Sounds like Coach Bolding may enjoy the symphony of his season with that sort of tune up!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •