2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Reggie44 View Post
    Curious, seems like your saying similar infractions. How can the penalties be so different? Was the NCAA involved or do the school's self impose penalties on themselves? Not sure the NCAA is spending much resources on D3 hockey. Help me out here with this.
    The NCAA had the Platty violation gift wrapped and figuratively dropped on their front porch when some person exercised bad judgment and posted a picture on social media.

If no picture, no NCAA sanctions. Platty may have chosen to deal out internal punishment. UST may have concluded that whatever the women's team did was double plus ungood.

A few year ago Bowdoin vacated their NESCAC men's title when they discovered that the boys were celebrating and HORRORS!! alcohol was involved.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
      The NCAA had the Platty violation gift wrapped and figuratively dropped on their front porch when some person exercised bad judgment and posted a picture on social media.

If no picture, no NCAA sanctions. Platty may have chosen to deal out internal punishment. UST may have concluded that whatever the women's team did was double plus ungood.

A few year ago Bowdoin vacated their NESCAC men's title when they discovered that the boys were celebrating and HORRORS!! alcohol was involved.
      I was told this weekend from someone that knows that Platty had contested the original sanctions. The lesser penalty is what was published and we're talking about now.

Comment

• Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Of course, everybody knows college students drink, but they are also aware of the rules that apply when they are representing their school in an official manner. The where and when of the drinking is the issue. If you know you aren't supposed to drink on an official trip, then doing so is a sign of immaturity. Drink when you face less severe sanctions - Many years ago, Norwich cancelled the sport of rugby (a varsity sport at Norwich) for a year when it was found that the team was drinking on the bus coming back from a game. Rugby has a drinking culture, but that's crossing the line. There is a difference (but maybe my view is too nuanced to make sense).
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          Of course, everybody knows college students drink, but they are also aware of the rules that apply when they are representing their school in an official manner. The where and when of the drinking is the issue. If you know you aren't supposed to drink on an official trip, then doing so is a sign of immaturity. Drink when you face less severe sanctions - Many years ago, Norwich cancelled the sport of rugby (a varsity sport at Norwich) for a year when it was found that the team was drinking on the bus coming back from a game. Rugby has a drinking culture, but that's crossing the line. There is a difference (but maybe my view is too nuanced to make sense).
          Right on point and very well stated. Thank you very much on behalf of those of us that agree with what you just said. I also believe a head coach and AD should be personally punished for knowingly letting it happen. If they also took part in the drinking with the student-athletes then they should face even harsher punishment in my opinion.

Comment

Nothing more the see here, let's move on. Welcome to the 21st Century NCAA!!

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
              Right on point and very well stated. Thank you very much on behalf of those of us that agree with what you just said. I also believe a head coach and AD should be personally punished for knowingly letting it happen. If they also took part in the drinking with the student-athletes then they should face even harsher punishment in my opinion.
              +1

Comment

Both polls are out and Norwich is #1. Plattsburgh to #2 in both. USCHO D3hockey.com (The d3hockey site appears to have errors in their Previous week column). Don't remember off the top of my head last time the Cards weren't #1 in the polls, hats of to the Cadets.

Edit: Per d3hockey.com, Plattsburgh had been #1 since March 2, 2015.

Last edited by Scott_TG; 11-13-2017, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                  Nothing more the see here, let's move on. Welcome to the 21st Century NCAA!!
                  Lol, what the heck is this supposed to mean?? The mighty Cardinals shouldn't be under scrutiny? Nonsense. IN COLLEGE ATHLETICS, coaches and AD's can't, not shouldn't, can't drink (alcohol) with their student-athletes under any circumstances, including winning/participating in a national championship because then they are guilty of breaking their own zero tolerance policy. You can't have it both ways. That's a double-standard. If these two were in fact drinking alcohol with their student-athletes they should be heavily punished by their own institutions and by the NCAA. There's also the question of who provided alcohol to minors in this case, which would obviously be breaking the law. Someone had to have purchased the booze for this occasion. I would hope nobody from the school/athletic department was involved in that.

Comment

My point was............you've beat this to death. Made your point. Expressed your opinions. Let's move on. There's lots of good hockey to be played. They drank; got caught; got punished! Fine. Done. Move on! Stop beating a dead horse.

Lol, what the heck is this supposed to mean?? The mighty Cardinals shouldn't be under scrutiny? Nonsense. IN COLLEGE ATHLETICS, coaches and AD's can't, not shouldn't, can't drink (alcohol) with their student-athletes under any circumstances, including winning/participating in a national championship because then they are guilty of breaking their own zero tolerance policy. You can't have it both ways. That's a double-standard. If these two were in fact drinking alcohol with their student-athletes they should be heavily punished by their own institutions and by the NCAA. There's also the question of who provided alcohol to minors in this case, which would obviously be breaking the law. Someone had to have purchased the booze for this occasion. I would hope nobody from the school/athletic department was involved in that.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                      My point was............you've beat this to death. Made your point. Expressed your opinions. Let's move on. There's lots of good hockey to be played. They drank; got caught; got punished! Fine. Done. Move on! Stop beating a dead horse.
                      "Wah, wah, stop picking on my alma mater! I don't like the negative attention this issue is getting."
                      Last edited by shelfit; 11-13-2017, 06:00 PM.

Comment

"Wah, wah, stop picking on my alma mater! I don't like the negative attention this issue is getting."
                        Hey crybaby...have a beer and grow up

Comment

• Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                          Hey crybaby...have a beer and grow up
                          Ya Seymore, stop crying about your poor Plattsburgh boozers. CrossCheck is hurting his little brain trying unsuccessfully to come up with good insults. See, he was trying to come up with something witty about drinking and growing up. Get it?! Oh he's so clever. Good boy CrossCheck. Can you also roll over and shake a paw?!
                          Last edited by shelfit; 11-14-2017, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Late to the party....sad to see that the blowhards can't keep this a "snowflake" free zone. You would think one place you could avoid calling someone a snowflake is a college hockey chat room...(now commence with calling me a snowflake.)

How the heck did Adrian lose to Northland?
                            UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                            NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                            Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Three seniors from the Northwood School have committed to Plattsburgh together.

Notable Plattsburgh players who've come through the Northwood School include Stephanie Moberg, who graduated as a top ten career scorer and has gone on to coach at Castleton and Merrimack; Erin Brand an integral part of Plattsburgh's blue line and power play from 2014 - 2017 and scored the game winner in this past march's NCAA Championship Game and Maci Hoskins, a current junior defenseman and one of the alternate captains this season.

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                                Late to the party....sad to see that the blowhards can't keep this a "snowflake" free zone. You would think one place you could avoid calling someone a snowflake is a college hockey chat room...(now commence with calling me a snowflake.)

How the heck did Adrian lose to Northland?
                                I can see it. An early season road game without a ton of experience in goal (both freshmen) or on the blue line for Adrian in that game (only half the defensive corps played over 25 games), a more relaxed attitude about the opponent but the opponent views Adrian as their playoff game. Northland gets ahead early and hangs on to make it to OT and at that point they're even more motivated to try and score the upset at home.

One comparable game that comes to mind is Buffalo State skating Plattsburgh to a tie in Buffalo for the last regular season game last February. Plattsburgh played some of the younger players against an underdog trying to defend their home ice and ended up getting surprised by the metaphorical left hook. Didn't end up costing them in the end and doubt this will mean much to Adrian come spring.

Comment

Working...
                                X