Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    It will probably be a toss up for #2 if Elmira wins today. Wouldn’t surprise me if either is there with a win. Amherst win, then agree completely that Plattsburgh will be 2. A tie likely same result.
    A win and a loss against ranked teams saw Plattsburgh drop from 2 to 3, granted the loss was #3 beating #2. But Plattsburgh got no grace for a split weekend and dropped a spot, Elmira should too.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
      A win and a loss against ranked teams saw Plattsburgh drop from 2 to 3, granted the loss was #3 beating #2. But Plattsburgh got no grace for a split weekend and dropped a spot, Elmira should too.
      Elmira has a head to head win vs. Plattsburgh and if they were to win today would have one loss to Plattsburgh's two. Pretty easy to still see them ahead of Plattsburgh in the polls.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
        Good day for the NESCAC so far. Trinity holding Plattsburgh scoreless after 2. Midd up 4-0 on Castleton. Connecticut College up on Manhattanville 2-1. after 2. Bowdoin defeated JWU 4-0 in earlier action.

EDIT: Songin with the wrap-around PPG makes it 1-0 Cards midway through the 3rd.
        Colby also beats UMB 4-1 in a slight weather-delayed game. (30 min)

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          Elmira has a head to head win vs. Plattsburgh and if they were to win today would have one loss to Plattsburgh's two. Pretty easy to still see them ahead of Plattsburgh in the polls.
          I would agree with this assessment and I would leave Elmira #2. That said, if Plattsburgh does slip ahead, it could be that the head-to-head was countered by the wide shot margin in the game. Or the mentality that team losses, team must fall!
          Steve
          Penn State Class of '95
          Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Happy New Year!!!
            Just made a reservation for the East/West and can report there to be one room available at the charming Elizabethan Inn which is directly across Route 12 from the Norwich campus (http://elizabnb.com/BNB/Rates.html), should anyone be interested in digs in Northfield.

Comment

Melissa Sheeran makes Sports Illustrated's Faces in the Crowd section for the December 25 issue. She follows former goalies Sydney Aveson and Camille Leonard as Cardinal WIH players to make the magazine. SI does goof and identify her as a junior though...

Comment

Melissa Sheeran makes Sports Illustrated's Faces in the Crowd section for the December 25 issue. She follows former goalies Sydney Aveson and Camille Leonard as Cardinal WIH players to make the magazine. SI does goof and identify her as a junior though...

When the notice was submitted to SI, she was.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The AP ranked Julia Duquette's game-tying goal in the waning seconds of the third period of the NCAA Championship Game as the #9 play of 2017.

Article here. Duquette's goal was ranked between Chris Coghlan of the Toronto Blue Jays flipping over Yadier Molina to score as #10 and Cloud Computing's upset win at the Preakness for #8. It was the only hockey play on the list.

Comment

Over the break, Plattsburgh added former Merrimack College Warriors defenseman Baye Flanagan of Billerica, MA. She played 34 games her freshman year and 4 her sophomore year at Merrimack. She is a cousin of Boston College/Team USA defenseman Kali Flanagan.

Any other notable roster moves?
                    Last edited by Scott_TG; 01-02-2018, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                      I actually edited my initial response because it was a little too harsh. I met coach Utter a few times when he was at Cortland. Have to say he was the least personable coach I've dealt with ( which may explain at least in part why he couldn't recruit).
                      Agree with you on the whole delay issue due to lack of recruits. Even DW recruited enough girls to start the season. Many first year teams have short benches....
                      Over the break I heard that Utter was not their first choice, not their second choice, and possibly not their third choice. Wilkes was either turned down by or couldn't work out a deal with their higher choices so it sounds like he was next on the list. Now the delay and reason why they chose him makes more sense....they ran out of better options ahead of him. The other thing is supposedly both the men and women will practice at their off campus rink before classes begin every day. That makes for a very early start to your day as a college student which is going to make recruiting much harder! Just an awful situation that good players are going to steer clear of if they have any smarts at all.
                      Last edited by shelfit; 01-02-2018, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Anna Maria college is adding a women's ice hockey program for 18-19 and have hired former Salve Regina coach Mike Cox to be the inaugural head coach.

They will be an independent program to start, but the CCC will be looking for heads with Morrisville and Canton leaving for the NEWHL in 19-20 so they might be a fit there. As noted on the men's DIII board thread, Anna Maria will play 25 miles from from campus (Paxton) in Marlborough, MA.
                        Last edited by Scott_TG; 01-05-2018, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Plattsburgh up early on Norwich. Kraus scores. She's skating with Sheeran and Songin instead of Millen and Moriarty.

These changed lines look good so far

EDIT: 1-0 after 1. In addition to Kraus' goal, Plattsburgh had 3 opportunities where they had a forward in a alone and were denied at the goal line. Two went off the post and one was saved and the puck died at the goal line. Could be 4-0 right now if those had gone the other way.

EDIT: 2-0 after 2. Baye Flanagan scores a PPG in her first game as a Cardinal.
                          Last edited by Scott_TG; 01-07-2018, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                            Plattsburgh up early on Norwich. Kraus scores. She's skating with Sheeran and Songin instead of Millen and Moriarty.

These changed lines look good so far

EDIT: 1-0 after 1. In addition to Kraus' goal, Plattsburgh had 3 opportunities where they had a forward in a alone and were denied at the goal line. Two went off the post and one was saved and the puck died at the goal line. Could be 4-0 right now if those had gone the other way.

EDIT: 2-0 after 2. Baye Flanagan scores a PPG in her first game as a Cardinal.
                            2-0 Plattsburgh after 2

Plattsburgh hangs on to win it 3-2......There will be movement in the rankings....but the 5:00PM game will tell how much movement
                            Last edited by Birdwatcher; 01-07-2018, 03:03 PM.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Anna Maria college is adding a women's ice hockey program for 18-19 and have hired former Salve Regina coach Mike Cox to be the inaugural head coach.

They will be an independent program to start, but the CCC will be looking for heads with Morrisville and Canton leaving for the NEWHL in 19-20 so they might be a fit there. As noted on the men's DIII board thread, Anna Maria will play 25 miles from from campus (Paxton) in Marlborough, MA.
                              Anna Maria is a GNAC school along with Norwich, Johnson & Wales, and Suffolk
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Adrian scored early but Elmira scored 5 straight goals to win 5-1 over the Bulldogs. Katie Granato, Devyn Gilman and Shannon Strawinski each with 2 points for Elmira.

#4 Adrian and #1 Norwich play the third place game at 1pm tomorrow and #2 Elmira and #3 Plattsburgh play at 4pm for the East/West Classic championship. Last time the Cards and Soaring Eagles played, Elmira won 4-2 to take the UNO Classic championship. And despite both teams history of making it to the NCAAs and Adrian's recent run of showing up for the East/West Classic, my look through the records shows no actual prior meeting between the Bulldogs and the Cadets. I guess it's like two regulars at the same bar having never spoken despite seeing each other across the room for years...
                                Last edited by Scott_TG; 01-07-2018, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X