Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017-18 DIII News, Game Notes, Etc

Originally posted by Call It View Post
    #26 -3 today. #9-1. Neither had a point again. Still drunk?
    still a ********?

Comment

For Canadians, it sure is! DIII has become nothing more than a "fun league" with only a handful (3-4) of moderately strong teams. The rest are crap. CIS has benefited from a weak CDN dollar and by offering financial aid and and strengthened as a result. Student athletes now get good strong hockey and a good education at home. Win-win-win for sure. Thank you NCAA. See ya!!

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
      LOL...that's a win-win.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
        #26 -3 today. #9-1. Neither had a point again. Still drunk?
        They've gone into a dry spell since their center from the last season Songin moved to a different line. That's nothing against Manning who is a talented forward in her own right but the chemistry hasn't been there yet. I noticed Songin playing between Menegin and Sheeran again towards the end when they were going in guns blazing trying to tie. I'm curious to see what the lines are for the games against Potsdam. That said, I don't think the dry spell is just the change at center, I think that good teams are better equipped to defend them and those two having played on the same line as long as they have there's ample scouting available.

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        Ouch! If accurate, I guess we now know who is going to miss the first game of the NCCA playoffs.
        I'd be very surprised if Sheeran is one of the two suspended because I don't think she'd have the C on her chest if that was the case.

Comment

Elmira's goaltender was on her game. With 2 losses, the target is now off the Cardinals' backs, but that could be a blessing. Hard to stay #1 for so long, but my guess is no team wants to play the Cardinals. Plattsburgh's SOG was tremendous with some point-blank shots, so the effort was there. Some great puck movement on the pp as well. What concerns me most is the play of Brooke Wolejko. She is no Camille Leonard, and it shows. Anyone know her story? Why leave D-I St. Lawrence after 3 seasons?!
          C O L G A T E
          2023 ECAC CHAMPION
          1990 NCAA FINALS
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
          ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
          ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
            For Canadians, it sure is! DIII has become nothing more than a "fun league" with only a handful (3-4) of moderately strong teams. The rest are crap. CIS has benefited from a weak CDN dollar and by offering financial aid and and strengthened as a result. Student athletes now get good strong hockey and a good education at home. Win-win-win for sure. Thank you NCAA. See ya!!
            Freeloading marginal talent will not be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
              Elmira's goaltender was on her game. With 2 losses, the target is now off the Cardinals' backs, but that could be a blessing. Hard to stay #1 for so long, but my guess is no team wants to play the Cardinals. Plattsburgh's SOG was tremendous with some point-blank shots, so the effort was there. Some great puck movement on the pp as well. What concerns me most is the play of Brooke Wolejko. She is no Camille Leonard, and it shows. Anyone know her story? Why leave D-I St. Lawrence after 3 seasons?!
              because she wasn't going to play at SLU no matter how great she was for the U12 Northern Lights....and the incumbent at Platty was....lets just say 'untested'?

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                Freeloading marginal talent will not be missed.
                Haha....tell Blanchard, and....aw hell, yer too stupid to waste time on.

Comment

Former Cortland coach Earl Utter has been hired to lead the new women's program at Wilkes. The team was supposed to launch this fall under Stephanie Newmark but was delayed due to low roster size.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                    Former Cortland coach Earl Utter has been hired to lead the new women's program at Wilkes. The team was supposed to launch this fall under Stephanie Newmark but was delayed due to low roster size.
                    Wow! A very uninspiring choice given my past interactions with him when he was at Cortland.
                    Last edited by GTOWN; 11-29-2017, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                      Wow! A very uninspiring choice given my past interactions with him when he was at Cortland.
                      Lol, understatement of the year! The date on this announcement is September 26th, so over 2 months ago! Doesn't Wilkes know to send their announcements to uscho.com?! That coupled with this choice tells me they have no clue what they're doing. So what's the story of the first coach not being able to recruit enough players to field a team to play this season? This has all the markings of a really losing sitution.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                        Lol, understatement of the year! The date on this announcement is September 26th, so over 2 months ago! Doesn't Wilkes know to send their announcements to uscho.com?! That coupled with this choice tells me they have no clue what they're doing. So what's the story of the first coach not being able to recruit enough players to field a team to play this season? This has all the markings of a really losing sitution.
                        I actually edited my initial response because it was a little too harsh. I met coach Utter a few times when he was at Cortland. Have to say he was the least personable coach I've dealt with ( which may explain at least in part why he couldn't recruit).
                        Agree with you on the whole delay issue due to lack of recruits. Even DW recruited enough girls to start the season. Many first year teams have short benches....

Comment

I actually edited my initial response because it was a little too harsh. I met coach Utter a few times when he was at Cortland. Have to say he was the least personable coach I've dealt with ( which may explain at least in part why he couldn't recruit).
                          Agree with you on the whole delay issue due to lack of recruits. Even DW recruited enough girls to start the season. Many first year teams have short benches....
                          My words were extremely kind too. He got canned after Cortland had their best season ever. What's that tell you?! My best advice for potential recruits is quite simple....run, don't walk, as fast as you can AWAY from this situation! You won't regret taking my advice.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                            DW had a horrendously short bench even as short benches go. They finished with 6 skaters by the end of the 15-16 season. Newmark, who was supposed to be the head coach at Wilkes before they pulled the plug this year, was a coach for DW. My theory about the Wilkes situation was that because the coaches got away with it at DW, Newmark didn't expect the Wilkes brass would pull the plug just because she couldn't land X number of players. But Wilkes, who already delayed their men's program saw what was going down with the roster and decided they could cut the rink/ice time budget altogether and used the short bench as a (probably reasonable) pretext for delaying the women along with the men.

I'm wondering 1) just how many recruits did they have at Wilkes this fall? 2) If that number was closer to the 12 players DW had to start in their last season would Wilkes have gone through with the season had they had their own rink instead of renting one?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                              DW had a horrendously short bench even as short benches go. They finished with 6 skaters by the end of the 15-16 season. Newmark, who was supposed to be the head coach at Wilkes before they pulled the plug this year, was a coach for DW. My theory about the Wilkes situation was that because the coaches got away with it at DW, Newmark didn't expect the Wilkes brass would pull the plug just because she couldn't land X number of players. But Wilkes, who already delayed their men's program saw what was going down with the roster and decided they could cut the rink/ice time budget altogether and used the short bench as a (probably reasonable) pretext for delaying the women along with the men.

I'm wondering 1) just how many recruits did they have at Wilkes this fall? 2) If that number was closer to the 12 players DW had to start in their last season would Wilkes have gone through with the season had they had their own rink instead of renting one?

At this level I think you need at least 14 skaters to start a program. Having said that, it should be fairly easy to find 14 skaters that want to play hockey. They may not be the best talent going but you don't expect to win much in the first few years of a program.
                              It's just poor recruiting which by default means a poor coaching choice.

Comment

At this level I think you need at least 14 skaters to start a program. Having said that, it should be fairly easy to find 14 skaters that want to play hockey. They may not be the best talent going but you don't expect to win much in the first few years of a program.
                                It's just poor recruiting which by default means a poor coaching choice.
                                Agreed, but to make such poor coaching choices two years in a row?! That tells me they don't have a clue what they're doing and that is not a good sign for potential recruits and their parents who will be paying for their D's education. If they choose Wilkes they'll be paying for that decision in more ways than one!

Comment

Working...
                                X