Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oakland U Exploring Addition of Men's and Women's Hockey

I believe they will be named the 'B's'
    Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
    —H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      On top of that there are demographic issues which will mean less kids going to college in the future.
      How much of that is offset by the fact that a higher percentage of kids today attend college, the highest percentage ever, and that keeps going up?

Granted, a higher percentage of a smaller group could still mean less actual people, but you know what I'm getting at.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
        Fast forward six months to the results of this study... What the study will find is that there is an equal chance of their being a new college hockey team in Oakland, CA as there is at Oakland Univ in MI. Hard to believe it takes an NHL paid study to ask this one simple question which pretty much determines the fate of all new D-I hockey programs:
        Q: - Does your school have, or can it get in the next 2-3 years, $75M - $100M to start men's hockey and an additional women's sport T.B.D.?
        A1 - Yes, then go ahead, build a rink and start a men's hockey program.
        A2 - No, then you won't have men's hockey any time soon.

Ryan
        Don't forget to send your bill to the NHL.

In all seriousness, I'm seeing a lot of skepticism over this. Very valid for sure. But, let's keep in mind Oakland would not have asked for these funds (and I would assume have been granted the money) to run a study if they didn't at least have some notion that it could be doable.
        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          How much of that is offset by the fact that a higher percentage of kids today attend college, the highest percentage ever, and that keeps going up?

Granted, a higher percentage of a smaller group could still mean less actual people, but you know what I'm getting at.
          I think you're going to see it start going the other way. College doesn't make sense for a lot of kids and I think people are going to start to wise up to it. If your parents can comfortably afford it or you get in to say a top 50 school you should absolutely do it. For everyone else though I think its smart to weigh the cost and benefits. I know it entails more than just preparing one for a job/career, but I just don't think the return is there like it used to be. Look how many college grads work at Starbucks or as a waiter/waitress or whatever. Technology is changing things a lot too.

EDIT: I wanted to clarify that this wasn't intended to be anti-education. I think even college grads should continue to read, take courses, learn new things, etc. I meant that for a lot of kids there might be a better way than going to a traditional four year school right out of high school.
          Last edited by Drew S.; 10-18-2017, 09:51 AM.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
            Don't forget to send your bill to the NHL.

In all seriousness, I'm seeing a lot of skepticism over this. Very valid for sure. But, let's keep in mind Oakland would not have asked for these funds (and I would assume have been granted the money) to run a study if they didn't at least have some notion that it could be doable.
            No they would do it as a way to grasp for things. They need to find ways to bring more students in.

Comment

Originally posted by CommAvHusky View Post
              I believe they will be named the 'B's'
              Nice one.
              Can't we all just get along?
              Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

All due respect to the school but I just don't see how Oakland's possibly upgrading from club to varsity (assuming it can overcome the $$$ and Title IX barriers) is going to move the needle in terms of broadening interest in college hockey. If we were talking about Illinois, Indiana, Syracuse, or other schools with built-in fan bases, then maybe the needle ticks up a bit. Even within the State of Michigan, which (IIRC) already has five varsity programs, I can't see how adding Oakland makes much of an impact.
                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  And if you listened to the press conference, Washtenaw County is not part of Metro Detroit, since OU's game would be the only option in the tri-county area. Not sure which 3 counties they are talking about, as it's typically listed as Wayne, Oakland, and Washtenaw as the main 3. Interesting to note about this claim- OU is 30 miles from the Pizzarena, UM is 42. 10 mile difference from downtown Detroit is hardly a claim to be the only college team in Metro Detroit.

Anyway, I do wish them luck, and that they can find something.
                  25 vs 37 really, still only 12 miles delta. The main difference is one is considered metro Detroit, and the other is it's own whore-island that likes butt-stuff.

Also, this is just a feasibility study paid for by somebody else. Any school in any region that enjoys hockey would be foolish to pass up on it. It doesn't mean much of anything, other than saving any participating university a couple hundred grand in preparing the study themselves.

r
                  Last edited by cetihcra; 10-18-2017, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                    Even within the State of Michigan, which (IIRC) already has five varsity programs, I can't see how adding Oakland makes much of an impact.
                    Actually the state of Michigan currently has 6 men's D-I programs (MTU, NMU, LSSU, Ferris, State and Michigan). I realize a lot of folks overlook that last one as they are barely varsity level at this point, but we do still need to count them. There were seven until Wayne State dropped their program in the mid-2000s. I miss the "Fighting W's" (and the entire CHA for that matter)...
                    :-)
                    Ryan

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      Actually the state of Michigan currently has 6 men's D-I programs (MTU, NMU, LSSU, Ferris, State and Michigan). I realize a lot of folks overlook that last one as they are barely varsity level at this point, but we do still need to count them. There were seven until Wayne State dropped their program in the mid-2000s. I miss the "Fighting W's" (and the entire CHA for that matter)...
                      :-)
                      Ryan
                      Western Michigan does not appreciate you missing them. There are 7 D1 teams in Michigan. (8 for the WSU reference).

Comment

Western Michigan does not appreciate you missing them. There are 7 D1 teams in Michigan. (8 for the WSU reference).
                        "Why Western?"
                        Because my correction needs correction.

Ryan
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

And no D1 women's teams. Shame.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            I think you're going to see it start going the other way. College doesn't make sense for a lot of kids and I think people are going to start to wise up to it. If your parents can comfortably afford it or you get in to say a top 50 school you should absolutely do it. For everyone else though I think its smart to weigh the cost and benefits. I know it entails more than just preparing one for a job/career, but I just don't think the return is there like it used to be. Look how many college grads work at Starbucks or as a waiter/waitress or whatever. Technology is changing things a lot too.

EDIT: I wanted to clarify that this wasn't intended to be anti-education. I think even college grads should continue to read, take courses, learn new things, etc. I meant that for a lot of kids there might be a better way than going to a traditional four year school right out of high school.
                            You're not the only one with that sort of sentiment. I've been hearing that a lot from people, including my wife who is an advocate for more emphasis on trade schools.

Of course, picking the "proper" (i.e., marketable) major goes a long way to making a college degree worthwhile. There is a huge shortage in certain fields which demand a four-year degree (my company won't even look at people without a four-year degree for certain jobs no matter how much pertinent experience they have).
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

I think they need to convince Eastern Michigan to get a D-1 hockey team, mainly because I'd love to see the fighting Emu on a sweater.
                              Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                              10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                              5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                              21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                              ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                              ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
                              7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
                              National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                                I think they need to convince Eastern Michigan to get a D-1 hockey team, mainly because I'd love to see the fighting Emu on a sweater.
                                But the team is the Eagles.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X