Oakland U Exploring Addition of Men's and Women's Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oakland U Exploring Addition of Men's and Women's Hockey

The top 3 hurdles for Oakland establishing a hockey program are: 1. Funding 2. Funding 3. Funding!

Penn State added men's and women's hockey only through a gift of $100 million from oil man Terry Pegula. Oakland will need a huge cash donation, possible not a 9-figure sum like Penn State, but certainly well in excess of $50 million to have a chance of making this working.

The feasibility study is easy, find a Terry Pegula-type donation and then you have a chance to start a program. The next issue would be sustaining a program in an already crowded sports market place. Close to 90 percent of the student enrollment consists of commuter students. These are not your typical sports fans and can't be counted on to support the teams.

Good luck finding the $$$$. It would be nice to add another Division 1 hockey program, but the chances of this happening don't seem to be very realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Mariucci used to be packed when the Gophers were in the WCHA.
      On a Sunday afternoon during a home Vikings game vs. Green Bay against a not yet fully established conference opponent with out of this world ticket prices?

Comment

All things considered I thought attendance was good.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I would think the feasibility study would include something about where the money will come from. Oakland has to at least have an idea as to where to get the $. No idea who potential donors would be but they aren't gonna be blindsided by the costs involved.

Comment

Let me ask a stupid question:

Is Oakland, CA really high on the average college hockey fan's destination list? Not that it matters I suppose. Plenty of people would go across the bay I'm guessing.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Is Oakland, CA really high on the average college hockey fan's destination list? Not that it matters I suppose. Plenty of people would go across the bay I'm guessing.
              Oakland University is in Rochester, MI. It’s about 30 minutes from downtown Detroit. It’s in Oakland County.
              Last edited by davyd83; 10-18-2017, 12:34 AM.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

There is an Oakland University in Michigan. It is in a suburb of Detroit....or did you already know that.
                MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Lol. I had only perused the thread, saw a "CA", UCLA, and mookie's post. Missed the others.
                  Code:

Comment

Never heard of Oakland, MI
                    Code:

Comment

Never heard of Oakland, MI
                      The school is named after the county. It's where all the white people moved after the riots.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I thought that was Auburn Hills and Ann Arbor. Same county?
                        Code:

Comment

Lol. I had only perused the thread, saw a "CA", UCLA, and mookie's post. Missed the others.
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I thought that was Auburn Hills and Ann Arbor. Same county?
                            Auburn Hills is in Oakland County. Ann Arbor is in Washtenaw County.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              Auburn Hills is in Oakland County. Ann Arbor is in Washtenaw County.
                              And if you listened to the press conference, Washtenaw County is not part of Metro Detroit, since OU's game would be the only option in the tri-county area. Not sure which 3 counties they are talking about, as it's typically listed as Wayne, Oakland, and Washtenaw as the main 3. Interesting to note about this claim- OU is 30 miles from the Pizzarena, UM is 42. 10 mile difference from downtown Detroit is hardly a claim to be the only college team in Metro Detroit.

Anyway, I do wish them luck, and that they can find something.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                                Not sure which 3 counties they are talking about, as it's typically listed as Wayne, Oakland, and Washtenaw as the main 3.
                                I'm not even from Detroit or Michigan, nor have any ties there, and I know the Tri-County Area is Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb.

Comment

Working...
                                X