Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oakland U Exploring Addition of Men's and Women's Hockey

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    That's a long flight to Cali for a weekend of hockey At least ASU has nice weather
    Funny thing is, I thought the same thing at first.

Comment

Originally posted by samboni View Post
      The feasibility study is easy. Is there a Terry Pegula type willing to pony up $80-100 million? If not, the study and the idea ends. Hate to be so blunt, but that is what it takes.
      For a 4000 seat arena? No way. Maybe if you want a B1G style new rink. But not for a smaller school like Oakland.

Heck, they can get much of the hand me down equipment from the Palace of Auburn Hills, if they want.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        For a 4000 seat arena? No way. Maybe if you want a B1G style new rink. But not for a smaller school like Oakland.

Heck, they can get much of the hand me down equipment from the Palace of Auburn Hills, if they want.
        If the 5 happen, Rutgers and Illinois to the B1G. But where do the other 3 end up? Will common sense, rather than greed move the next realignment?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post
          Could they get a donation from the Ilitch family? They just gave a boat load to Wayne State for their business program before Mike's passing. I wouldn't think it's beyond the realm of possibility for the family to donate to a cause like this. Still, $30 million is a lot, and that doesn't include an arena.
          Charitable donations are helpful with estate taxes. Timing of Ilitch's passing, the Red Wings involvement, and the feasibility study could be non-coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
            Charitable donations are helpful with estate taxes. Timing of Ilitch's passing, the Red Wings involvement, and the feasibility study could be non-coincidental.
            The Illitch family would be more likely to support Wayne State directly. Ties are closer there.

But the combination of the Red Wings makes it a little different.

While it's cool that OU was chosen, it's odd that WSU was not- they are right down town, they had a D1 hockey program at one point, and already compete with other WCHA teams for other sports. Whereas none of OU's conference, the Horizon League- play hockey.

Good for OU, no doubt. Just odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              With Illinois and Oakland now out there, that leaves three schools that the NHL gave funds to study starting a program.
              There seems to be a lot of confusion about this, because I think it has been explained poorly, but the NHL set aside funds for five schools to do these studies. So far, only Illinois and Oakland have claimed that money. The other three haven't been chosen, or at least publicly announced.

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              While it's cool that OU was chosen, it's odd that WSU was not- they are right down town, they had a D1 hockey program at one point, and already compete with other WCHA teams for other sports. Whereas none of OU's conference, the Horizon League- play hockey.
              OU got the money for the survey because they asked. Wayne State is interesting because the university and campus area has changed so much since they dropped men's hockey, but I don't know if it has changed enough for it to be successful.

Conference isn't a problem. The WCHA would take Oakland(or Wayne State or both) in a heartbeat if they had the option.

The issue is strictly finding a donor. Illinois said they had a list of about 30 people that could possibly make the type of donation they need. I'd imagine that list is way smaller at Oakland, but who knows, maybe they find a rich guy who really wants to make it happen.
              Originally posted by dicaslover
              Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
              Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

I think this is 20 years too late. College hockey in the Northeast is struggling and I can't imagine it is any better off elsewhere. I watched a bit of the Minnesota game the other day and the rink was maybe half full. I know Sunday's don't do the best attendance wise but from what I remember Mariucci used to be pretty packed most of the time. I think a lot of budgets are going to get squeezed between athletes being paid and a decline in attendance/tv revenue. On top of that there are demographic issues which will mean less kids going to college in the future. It would be nice to see more colleges start programs, especially large state schools, but I don't see where it makes much sense.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Oakland U. is 4-5 hours from five Atlantic schools. The farthest trips are Massachusetts and Colorado vs. Alaska and Alabama. If Atlantic beats the WCHA in out of conference schedule for a second year, that won't hurt their case either.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                    I think this is 20 years too late. College hockey in the Northeast is struggling and I can't imagine it is any better off elsewhere. I watched a bit of the Minnesota game the other day and the rink was maybe half full. I know Sunday's don't do the best attendance wise but from what I remember Mariucci used to be pretty packed most of the time. I think a lot of budgets are going to get squeezed between athletes being paid and a decline in attendance/tv revenue. On top of that there are demographic issues which will mean less kids going to college in the future. It would be nice to see more colleges start programs, especially large state schools, but I don't see where it makes much sense.
                    this is a very valid/ good post.

and with that dwindling coll demographic.. the powers that be have also failed to realize that the way you do get eyeballs in the stands.. (besides the friends & family crowd).. is through diversity. heck even the nhl.. they're marketing in china.. they are forgetting key demographics on/ in college campuses here. i know nature of the sport has been one way.. that does not mean things cant change. g'luck to oakland & all others trying. hopefully something clicks. niche aint going to cut it long term.
                    GO NU HOCKEY
                    Always bullish on the future.
                    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                      It appears Oakland was one of the schools chosen by the NHL for a hockey study...
                      Fast forward six months to the results of this study... What the study will find is that there is an equal chance of their being a new college hockey team in Oakland, CA as there is at Oakland Univ in MI. Hard to believe it takes an NHL paid study to ask this one simple question which pretty much determines the fate of all new D-I hockey programs:
                      Q: - Does your school have, or can it get in the next 2-3 years, $75M - $100M to start men's hockey and an additional women's sport T.B.D.?
                      A1 - Yes, then go ahead, build a rink and start a men's hockey program.
                      A2 - No, then you won't have men's hockey any time soon.

Ryan
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                        Fast forward six months to the results of this study... What the study will find is that there is an equal chance of their being a new college hockey team in Oakland, CA as there is at Oakland Univ in MI. Hard to believe it takes an NHL paid study to ask this one simple question which pretty much determines the fate of all new D-I hockey programs:
                        Q: - Does your school have, or can it get in the next 2-3 years, $75M - $100M to start men's hockey and an additional women's sport T.B.D.?
                        A1 - Yes, then go ahead, build a rink and start a men's hockey program.
                        A2 - No, then you won't have men's hockey any time soon.

Ryan
                        Q2: How can you go about raising said funds? After all, not everyone has an oil tycoon alumnus that then pours billions into a Western NY city...

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                          mookie.. i think this oakland university is in michigan..

there.. i helped you with the distance. not so much the weather
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            Mariucci used to be packed when the Gophers were in the WCHA.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                              NDSU, Iowa State, and Rutgers.
                              How about UCLA, USC and Stanford. Plenty of billionaire alums to hit up for the cash. California is a booming hockey state. Between 3 NHL teams and the 5 AHL teams, it has to be among the states with the most high level professional hockey teams. I would think ASU and the Colorado schools would support them as well.

Comment

Oakland has several advantages. It is D1, but doesn’t have a football team. This along with basketball could be a major sport. It is located in a middle/upper middle class area of Oakland County with a lot of youth hockey and interest in hockey. The university is a short distance off I-75 and easy to get to. My understanding is they would build a rink on campus if hockey were added. Trivia note: Oakland was at one point a satillite of Michigan State University. The only real connection any more is the Oakland U credit union Is a division of the MSU credit union.

Comment

Working...
                                X