2017-18 SUNYAC Preseason Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017-18 SUNYAC Preseason Discussion

Seems like a good time to warm up the engines. Besides its weird discussing this year on last years Platty thread, so have at it Genny fan(s)
    What hasnt been discussed yet, is the team that put together a couple solid seasons and giving the rest of league some tests and L's...Buff State
    And Remy....you dont ever have to try, you are HOF in my book bro!

Re: 2017-18 SUNYAC Preseason Discussion

Buff State has a large question mark at Goalie as well this year, maybe the reason they are being overlooked.

Interesting that they will also host the frozen 4 in a few years. No offence but their rink kind of sucks, it's in a bad part of town, the school doesn't support the team, why bother putting in that bid... Other than being centrally located between east and west it doesn't have much going for it.

Comment

Originally posted by OZrebel View Post
      Buff State has a large question mark at Goalie as well this year, maybe the reason they are being overlooked.

Interesting that they will also host the frozen 4 in a few years. No offence but their rink kind of sucks, it's in a bad part of town, the school doesn't support the team, why bother putting in that bid... Other than being centrally located between east and west it doesn't have much going for it.
      Maybe do your homework.

The Frozen Four is being held in the HarborCenter in downtown Buffalo. An absolutely spectacular facility.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        Maybe do your homework.

The Frozen Four is being held in the HarborCenter in downtown Buffalo. An absolutely spectacular facility.
        Well if that's the case then I stand corrected, thanks for the updated info on it. Should be a good event, last story I read didn't mention the location just that Plattsburgh and Buff State were going to be hosts. Plattsburgh's isn't new but is top tier for a D3 facility.

Being at the harbor center is not the intimate college campus vibe they are going for with the alternate sites, so interesting they'd go with it.

Comment

Originally posted by OZrebel View Post
          Well if that's the case then I stand corrected, thanks for the updated info on it. Should be a good event, last story I read didn't mention the location just that Plattsburgh and Buff State were going to be hosts. Plattsburgh's isn't new but is top tier for a D3 facility.

Being at the harbor center is not the intimate college campus vibe they are going for with the alternate sites, so interesting they'd go with it.
          Plattsburgh will be hosting in Lake Placid, as they have done several times now.
          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
          ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
          NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
          NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
          NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
          NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by OZFEST View Post
            Seems like a good time to warm up the engines. Besides its weird discussing this year on last years Platty thread, so have at it Genny fan(s)
            What hasnt been discussed yet, is the team that put together a couple solid seasons and giving the rest of league some tests and L's...Buff State
            And Remy....you dont ever have to try, you are HOF in my book bro!
            I was surprised to see Buff State behind Brockport and Fredonia in the preseason coaches poll at number 6. Is that largely a goalie question issue? I assume they had some other big losses to graduation as well. (?)

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
              Plattsburgh will be hosting in Lake Placid, as they have done several times now.
              Forgive me on that then, I'm newer to the hockey world and assumed it is normally in Lake placid unless hosted elsewhere under their new want it to be an intimate campus feel environment they announced last year or so. With so many being in placid for awhile I though it was going to be held on campus in Plattsburgh which would be neat. My fault for not reading closely enough.

Comment

Originally posted by geneseo View Post
                I was surprised to see Buff State behind Brockport and Fredonia in the preseason coaches poll at number 6. Is that largely a goalie question issue? I assume they had some other big losses to graduation as well. (?)

Sorry I haven't/won't get a chance to do my breakdown of the teams this year so I don't have any data to put out there on % loss like years past. They (Buff St) only lose 6 from what I can tell but DeLaVergne is huge.

The one thing I'm impressed with this year, the poll really goes by what they predict will happen this year and not what happened last year like has been the case several times over the past few seasons.

I'm going out on a limb here and saying someone other than Plattsburgh, Oswego, or Geneseo will win the regular season. Too many questions up top the standings with some really good depth (young upcoming teams) in the middle and bottom.
                Remy Babineaux
                remyb616@gmail.com
                D3FHL Web Page

Comment

To start the season off I would go with Genny,yes they lost Collins and Hills,but return a few soph.scorers who had great frshmn yrs,Keenan had 23 goals I believe,and they have avery nice class coming in with a few D1 transfers from non-D1 lite teams,and their netminding has some experience,and as we know Oz and Platty will be holding their breath with the players between the pipes to start the season.Oz has lost a ton of scoring,but will return a solid defense and looks to have a nice class coming in that will have to start off fast,not much up front scoring/experience...as for netminding,with Jacobson leaving school and only 2 non=tested goalie in the stable,halloween may come early as it may get scary...As for Plllllattty they will be good as always........netminding may also bring them a early Halloween...As for the rest they will chase as always,with a few big upsets here and there I am sure.....goaltending will be big all around.....p.s. as for Oz I am hoping for a early xmas not halloween

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                    Maybe do your homework.

This is where the NYSPHSAA state final four is also held now. The Aud lost it two years ago.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                      To start the season off I would go with Genny,yes they lost Collins and Hills,but return a few soph.scorers who had great frshmn yrs,Keenan had 23 goals I believe,and they have avery nice class coming in with a few D1 transfers from non-D1 lite teams,and their netminding has some experience,and as we know Oz and Platty will be holding their breath with the players between the pipes to start the season.Oz has lost a ton of scoring,but will return a solid defense and looks to have a nice class coming in that will have to start off fast,not much up front scoring/experience...as for netminding,with Jacobson leaving school and only 2 non=tested goalie in the stable,halloween may come early as it may get scary...As for Plllllattty they will be good as always........netminding may also bring them a early Halloween...As for the rest they will chase as always,with a few big upsets here and there I am sure.....goaltending will be big all around.....p.s. as for Oz I am hoping for a early xmas not halloween
                      Last year's freshman class for Geneseo had combined over 130 points. It will be interesting to see how they do without Collins and Hills playing in front of them.

That said, I think Geneseo can score considerably fewer goals and be a better team if they can rebound on the defensive end and be as stingy as in years past.

Comment

This is what I came up with for what I think each team.

Oswego- Oswego comes in having to replace nearly the whole team after graduating 12 players and their 9 of their top 10 scorers. But as usual they have brought in some pretty talented freshmen and transfers. They had depth in goaltending but with David Jacobson leaving school, Cedric Hansen as well as newcomer David Richer now will have to shoulder the load. They have some returning depth on D the big question mark on this team is can the new comers produce and can the team find it chemistry early.

Plattsburgh- This team was all over the map last year; they finally got it going after a loss to Canton on January 7th, going 11-2-1 after that game. They brought home another SUNYAC championship and only graduated 1 of their top 10 scorers from last year. But the big question mark is between the pipes for this team, Brady Rouleau graduated and looks like that Joshua Davies did not return leaving only Keller Kowalowski as the lone returning goalie. They did not return a couple other players in Nick Belger and Gavin Yates. But the most of the core players are returning and with only 2 seniors it is still a young team but can the trio of untested goalies lead them to another title?

Geneseo- This is a team full of questions. Gone is All-American Stephan Collins, who will make up those 47.5 points he averaged the past 2 years? Will returning players be able to get some of the open looks they got with Collins on the ice? Can McDonald rebound from his sophomore slump? Can the backups handle the workload if McDonald doesn’t rebound? So many different questions for a well balanced team that looks to make it back in the NCAA tournament.

Buffalo State- Only lost 6 players to graduation which would have most fan bases jumping for joy and people saying they could be the team to beat but one of those players was the starting netminder Mike DeLaVergne who started 25 of 27 games and won 17 of those games. They have experience coming back in Ian Sylves (16 Games started) which may help. They did lose a good prospect in Cam Gray to D1 St. Lawrence. If one of the returning goalies can take the reign then this team maybe in the hunt for a SUNYAC title.

Fredonia- Here is a team that has a good shot to move up into the standings, they graduated only 5 players 2 of which were not full time players and 3 of the top 10 scorers. They return a very good goalie in Eric Bogart along with his primary backup in Anton Rosen. The real question is overall team skill; do they have enough to really push some of the top teams in the SUNYAC?

Brockport- Another team that has a good chance to move up in the standings, as they only graduated 2 players and 1 was the 3rd leading scorer. They are bringing a very experienced team with 8 seniors and 9 juniors. Matt Schneider returns for his sophomore campaign in net after a pretty good freshmen year as well as junior back up Jake Moore (Cole Burack transferred), their defense is intact losing only Robbie Hall. They should be able to steal a few games and quite possibly be in the hunt for a SUNYAC championship but like Ferdonia is the overall team skill there to take them to the next level?

Cortland- Speaking of young teams, Cortland is a young team that could surprise a few teams. They are lead by senior goaltender Drew Weigman who in the past has shown the ability to steal games or keep them very close so Cortland has a chance. They also return players like Dan Broderick, Mike Crowley and Aiden Salerno. The biggest loss for them was Darren McCormick who left to play pro hockey after his junior year. They have the same question as Brockport and Fredonia is the talent there to bring them to the next level.

Morrisville- The term continuous rebuild would probably be the best term for this team. They are a young team again and graduated the top 2 leading scorers. They do return CJ Stubbs, Henry Hearon, Layne Martin and Mike Giacometti on offense and defense. Jared Young returns to the net with primary back up Sal Stalteri. But again the overall team skill may not be there for them to make a run at the playoffs, at least not this year.

Potsdam- Which team are we going to see this year the one from 2 years ago that finished .500 or the team from last year that had only 1 win in the SUNYAC’s. They graduated 6 players, but return a very dangerous player in Dylan Vander Esch as well as players like Bryce Ferrell and Tyler Young. Also back are netminders Brendan McMenimen & Nate Skidmore which could help to get them back to at least the .500 mark.
                        Last edited by dmac1103; 10-17-2017, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Just for giggles I did a little math. I am a little shocked at Geneseo honestly. When you're losing nearly 50% of your offense and return the 8th best SUNYAC GAA goalie and even worse 11th best Save % goalie, you have just as many questions as other teams if not more. Keenan, Brink, and Mara are great, but lets see how they do with out Collins there to A. give them the puck and or B. take focus away from them.

Oswego, no ofense to Geneseo, has shown year after year after year after year after year.....okay get the point....the ability to reload, not rebuild. Love you Geneseo, but you're not Oswego, yet. That's one team (Oswego) I am the least concerned over. Until they pull together two or three seasons of mid-pack SUNYAC standings, they are not being overtaken as a top 2 SUNYAC team.

Which Plattsburgh team will show up? Their defensive mistakes last year at the beginning of the season was something out of the Bad News Bears. They (not just the defense) were making some of the most basic defensive mistakes you don't expect to see on a Bob Emery team. Part of that was the young age of the team and most mistakes were corrected by seasons end. Both Brady and Josh were up and down so maybe a fresh face will help. IF Plattsburgh can get some consistent goaltending, they will be one of the favorites as well. 5 home games followed by 7 away games will be a good test. However its the "Away" schedule year with games at Norwich, at Middlebury, at Williams and the Primelink away. It will set up the team nicely for the last regular season game.

Brockport and Fredonia will be tough. They are going to be in the mix. With the Top "3" having questions from lack of returners, % of returning scoring, and in net....combined with the strong group Brockport and Fredonia have (and the non issues in net).....you can't sleep on these two teams this year.

Buff State will need to replace DeLaVergne, but that has been something they've been able to do recently. Sheehan, (a few years off), to Carr, to DeLaVergne. Coach Murphy has put a lot in discipline for the Bengals. Just a few years back Buff State was putting up 350+ minutes in penalties in the Conference alone. Last year was 150 minutes less. A different style for sure. If they can get a replacement for DeLaVergne they will also be up there in the mix. Mid pack.

Cortland....lets see how they can keep the ship moving. They finally opened up their recruiting. They will be in the mix for a playoff spot at least. Could play spoiler to a top team in getting that top spot or a home ice spot.

Morrisville and Potsdam.....Vander Esch is still one of the best players in the league, but there is a big drop off. If you add in the 6 seniors and Vander Esch Potsdam has lost nearly 60% of their goals from last season. Morrisville only loses 5 seniors and only 2 of which are forwards...having said that those seniors accounted for near;y 40% of conference points. Yikes.

Below are % of loss from seniors (only). I don't add in underclassmen who have transferred/left. It is broken down by Overall % loss and Conference % loss in Game Played, Goals, and Points.....

OVERALL GP OVERALL G OVERALL Pts.
                          CORTLAND 5.309734513 CORTLAND 3.370786517 CORTLAND 3.797468354
                          BROCKPORT 10.61571125 PLATTSBURGH 7.228915663 PLATTSBURGH 7.207207207
                          PLATTSBURGH 11.68316832 BROCKPORT 18.91891892 BROCKPORT 15.2284264
                          FREDONIA 14.85355649 FREDONIA 22.22222222 FREDONIA 19.35483871
                          MORRISVILLE 20.61403509 POTSDAM 29.16666667 BUFF STATE 33.640553
                          BUFF STATE 31.19834711 MORRISVILLE 30.86419753 POTSDAM 35.04273504
                          POTSDAM 32.02764977 BUFF STATE 36.58536585 MORRISVILLE 39.1509434
                          GENESEO 41.42857143 GENESEO 44.11764706 GENESEO 44.29967427
                          OSWEGO 45.26112186 OSWEGO 62.90322581 OSWEGO 65.78171091

CONFERENCE GP CONFERENCE G CONFERENCE Pts.
                          CORTLAND 5.190311419 CORTLAND 5.263157895 CORTLAND 4.545454545
                          BROCKPORT 11.07491857 PLATTSBURGH 9.259259259 PLATTSBURGH 8.163265306
                          PLATTSBURGH 11.72839506 BROCKPORT 14 BROCKPORT 11.42857143
                          FREDONIA 14.05750799 FREDONIA 21.27659574 FREDONIA 19.13043478
                          MORRISVILLE 19.93127148 MORRISVILLE 27.11864407 BUFF STATE 35.96491228
                          BUFF STATE 32.71028037 POTSDAM 30.76923077 MORRISVILLE 36.60130719
                          POTSDAM 32.85714286 BUFF STATE 38.63636364 POTSDAM 45.76271186
                          GENESEO 42.37804878 GENESEO 47.61904762 GENESEO 48.1865285
                          OSWEGO 46.22356495 OSWEGO 64.63414634 OSWEGO 65.15837104
                          Remy Babineaux
                          remyb616@gmail.com
                          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                            Just for giggles I did a little math. I am a little shocked at Geneseo honestly. When you're losing nearly 50% of your offense and return the 8th best SUNYAC GAA goalie and even worse 11th best Save % goalie, you have just as many questions as other teams if not more. Keenan, Brink, and Mara are great, but lets see how they do with out Collins there to A. give them the puck and or B. take focus away from them.

Oswego, no ofense to Geneseo, has shown year after year after year after year after year.....okay get the point....the ability to reload, not rebuild. Love you Geneseo, but you're not Oswego, yet. That's one team (Oswego) I am the least concerned over. Until they pull together two or three seasons of mid-pack SUNYAC standings, they are not being overtaken as a top 2 SUNYAC team.

Which Plattsburgh team will show up? Their defensive mistakes last year at the beginning of the season was something out of the Bad News Bears. They (not just the defense) were making some of the most basic defensive mistakes you don't expect to see on a Bob Emery team. Part of that was the young age of the team and most mistakes were corrected by seasons end. Both Brady and Josh were up and down so maybe a fresh face will help. IF Plattsburgh can get some consistent goaltending, they will be one of the favorites as well. 5 home games followed by 7 away games will be a good test. However its the "Away" schedule year with games at Norwich, at Middlebury, at Williams and the Primelink away. It will set up the team nicely for the last regular season game.

Brockport and Fredonia will be tough. They are going to be in the mix. With the Top "3" having questions from lack of returners, % of returning scoring, and in net....combined with the strong group Brockport and Fredonia have (and the non issues in net).....you can't sleep on these two teams this year.

Buff State will need to replace DeLaVergne, but that has been something they've been able to do recently. Sheehan, (a few years off), to Carr, to DeLaVergne. Coach Murphy has put a lot in discipline for the Bengals. Just a few years back Buff State was putting up 350+ minutes in penalties in the Conference alone. Last year was 150 minutes less. A different style for sure. If they can get a replacement for DeLaVergne they will also be up there in the mix. Mid pack.

Cortland....lets see how they can keep the ship moving. They finally opened up their recruiting. They will be in the mix for a playoff spot at least. Could play spoiler to a top team in getting that top spot or a home ice spot.

Morrisville and Potsdam.....Vander Esch is still one of the best players in the league, but there is a big drop off. If you add in the 6 seniors and Vander Esch Potsdam has lost nearly 60% of their goals from last season. Morrisville only loses 5 seniors and only 2 of which are forwards...having said that those seniors accounted for near;y 40% of conference points. Yikes.

Below are % of loss from seniors (only). I don't add in underclassmen who have transferred/left. It is broken down by Overall % loss and Conference % loss in Game Played, Goals, and Points.....

OVERALL GP OVERALL G OVERALL Pts.
                            CORTLAND 5.309734513 CORTLAND 3.370786517 CORTLAND 3.797468354
                            BROCKPORT 10.61571125 PLATTSBURGH 7.228915663 PLATTSBURGH 7.207207207
                            PLATTSBURGH 11.68316832 BROCKPORT 18.91891892 BROCKPORT 15.2284264
                            FREDONIA 14.85355649 FREDONIA 22.22222222 FREDONIA 19.35483871
                            MORRISVILLE 20.61403509 POTSDAM 29.16666667 BUFF STATE 33.640553
                            BUFF STATE 31.19834711 MORRISVILLE 30.86419753 POTSDAM 35.04273504
                            POTSDAM 32.02764977 BUFF STATE 36.58536585 MORRISVILLE 39.1509434
                            GENESEO 41.42857143 GENESEO 44.11764706 GENESEO 44.29967427
                            OSWEGO 45.26112186 OSWEGO 62.90322581 OSWEGO 65.78171091

CONFERENCE GP CONFERENCE G CONFERENCE Pts.
                            CORTLAND 5.190311419 CORTLAND 5.263157895 CORTLAND 4.545454545
                            BROCKPORT 11.07491857 PLATTSBURGH 9.259259259 PLATTSBURGH 8.163265306
                            PLATTSBURGH 11.72839506 BROCKPORT 14 BROCKPORT 11.42857143
                            FREDONIA 14.05750799 FREDONIA 21.27659574 FREDONIA 19.13043478
                            MORRISVILLE 19.93127148 MORRISVILLE 27.11864407 BUFF STATE 35.96491228
                            BUFF STATE 32.71028037 POTSDAM 30.76923077 MORRISVILLE 36.60130719
                            POTSDAM 32.85714286 BUFF STATE 38.63636364 POTSDAM 45.76271186
                            GENESEO 42.37804878 GENESEO 47.61904762 GENESEO 48.1865285
                            OSWEGO 46.22356495 OSWEGO 64.63414634 OSWEGO 65.15837104

As I said earlier, in my mind the biggest question with Geneseo is on the defensive end and goaltending. In all honesty I'm not that worried about the offense. Collins and Hills scored a lot of goals, yes, but many were also in blowout games, and Keenan, Brink, Szmyd, Romano, Gordon, Marra, etc. have shown that they are capable of generating their own offense. What the team will really need is more timely scoring and stronger D and goaltending. Given his play in juniors and his freshman year, I hoping MacDonald will rebound, though I can't say I know much about the new netminders. The two DI transfers and late all-star recruit from juniors on defense should be nice additions along with Martin, Russell and Ferguson (a second-semester DI transfer from Vermont), who have shown they can play very well at this level. The big loss was former D1 transfer Braxton Bilous (+11 last year in 26 games as a defensive-minded defenseman) who decided to spend his senior year at Simon Fraser.

Comment

Originally posted by geneseo View Post
                              As I said earlier, in my mind the biggest question with Geneseo is on the defensive end and goaltending. In all honesty I'm not that worried about the offense. Collins and Hills scored a lot of goals, yes, but many were also in blowout games, and Keenan, Brink, Szmyd, Romano, Gordon, Marra, etc. have shown that they are capable of generating their own offense. What the team will really need is more timely scoring and stronger D and goaltending. Given his play in juniors and his freshman year, I hoping MacDonald will rebound, though I can't say I know much about the new netminders. The two DI transfers and late all-star recruit from juniors on defense should be nice additions along with Martin, Russell and Ferguson (a second-semester DI transfer from Vermont), who have shown they can play very well at this level. The big loss was former D1 transfer Braxton Bilous (+11 last year in 26 games as a defensive-minded defenseman) who decided to spend his senior year at Simon Fraser.
                              I've been hearing REALLY HIGH praise on Geneseo's recruiting class for months. Looking forward to seeing the Knights in Northfield this January at the Northfield Savings Bank Tournament.
                              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                              X