Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017-18 SUNYAC Preseason Discussion

Originally posted by geneseo View Post
    As I said earlier, in my mind the biggest question with Geneseo is on the defensive end and goaltending. In all honesty I'm not that worried about the offense. Collins and Hills scored a lot of goals, yes, but many were also in blowout games, and Keenan, Brink, Szmyd, Romano, Gordon, Marra, etc. have shown that they are capable of generating their own offense. What the team will really need is more timely scoring and stronger D and goaltending. Given his play in juniors and his freshman year, I hoping MacDonald will rebound, though I can't say I know much about the new netminders. The two DI transfers and late all-star recruit from juniors on defense should be nice additions along with Martin, Russell and Ferguson (a second-semester DI transfer from Vermont), who have shown they can play very well at this level. The big loss was former D1 transfer Braxton Bilous (+11 last year in 26 games as a defensive-minded defenseman) who decided to spend his senior year at Simon Fraser.
    And also accounted for 50% of game winning goals both in conference and overall....so while they might have "scored a lot of goals......in blowout games"....they (seniors) also scored A LOT of big goals in games. Just for FYI Keenan scored on average the 3.39 goal of the game including several 7th or later goals while Collins scored the 3.15 goal of the game. Collins also had more points in games vs Plattsburgh and Oswego as well...

Like I said we will see how a player like Keenan can do with out Collins. I haven't seen someone with hands like his in many many years. He made everyone on the ice better. We will see just how much here in a few more weeks.

The point is still Geneseo has lost nearly 50% of their offense (late goals or not), 50% of game winners (doesn't matter how late those are) both conference and non-conference games, and has a goalie that wasn't in the top 5 in either GAA or Save % (actually out of the Top 10 in Save %). Transfers are great but don't always mesh well and I've seen "all-star" recruits be cut from DIII teams....don't get me wrong Geneseo is still in the mix, but one of the least clear cut favorites we've had in a while.
    Remy Babineaux
    remyb616@gmail.com
    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
      And also accounted for 50% of game winning goals both in conference and overall....so while they might have "scored a lot of goals......in blowout games"....they (seniors) also scored A LOT of big goals in games. Just for FYI Keenan scored on average the 3.39 goal of the game including several 7th or later goals while Collins scored the 3.15 goal of the game. Collins also had more points in games vs Plattsburgh and Oswego as well...

Like I said we will see how a player like Keenan can do with out Collins. I haven't seen someone with hands like his in many many years. He made everyone on the ice better. We will see just how much here in a few more weeks.

The point is still Geneseo has lost nearly 50% of their offense (late goals or not), 50% of game winners (doesn't matter how late those are) both conference and non-conference games, and has a goalie that wasn't in the top 5 in either GAA or Save % (actually out of the Top 10 in Save %). Transfers are great but don't always mesh well and I've seen "all-star" recruits be cut from DIII teams....don't get me wrong Geneseo is still in the mix, but one of the least clear cut favorites we've had in a while.
      I agree with everything you said here, but I also agree with everything I said. Two sides of the same coin of possible outcomes.

Comment

Watched a little hockey in Charleston this weekend and saw a Stephen Collins on the ice. The named sounded familiar and sure enough it was THE Stephen Collins. Always cool to see a D3 guy on a professional team. Also nice to see him NOT scoring on Oswego anymore.
        Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
        2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Working...
        X