This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Why is this ok? Seriously. Look at how GW treated Cindy Sheehan and was criticized for it and compare it with this and the Khan's. Seriously, I want to know why this is OK.
    Well, she's black, and female, let's start there

Comment

• Re: POTUS 45.21 STAND for our great National Anthem

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
      Well, she's black, and female, let's start there
      And the Khan's were Muslim. Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Now I get it. Never mind.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Yep, we only care about white, Xtian troops now.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          https://youtu.be/tsbAba0qLHI
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Also, we don't like soldiers who get captured or ambushed.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              Since the tax plan is a big part of the next few weeks- did anyone hear the way they plan on getting back the taxes lost by lowering the tax brackets?

By lowering what you are allowed to put into a 401k.

Seriously. Instead of limiting to 18k a year, it will go to well under $5,000. That raises a person's immediate taxable income.

Which means that people who put a very significant part of their income into their retirement will be funding the upper end who have a tax break.

Yay.
              Most people only go 401k up to a company match anyway, and it's a lot better to do a Roth IRA anyway because it's tax free, not tax deferred, which is where a lot of baby boomers are starting to regret their investment decisions. I'm sure the limits will still be higher once you're over 50 so you can "catch up". The limits also effectively double if you're married filing jointly.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Most people only go 401k up to a company match anyway, and it's a lot better to do a Roth IRA anyway because it's tax free, not tax deferred, which is where a lot of baby boomers are starting to regret their investment decisions. I'm sure the limits will still be higher once you're over 50 so you can "catch up". The limits also effectively double if you're married filing jointly.
                A Roth isn't "tax free". In a Roth you have already paid the taxes before the investment.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  A Roth isn't "tax free". In a Roth you have already paid the taxes before the investment.
                  The earnings are tax free, though. So long as you keep them around until 59.5 or 5 years, whichever is longer. With the 401(k) and traditional IRA you pay taxes on everything, and you're also forced to take distributions when you're 70.5.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    The earnings are tax free, though. So long as you keep them around until 59.5 or 5 years, whichever is longer. With the 401(k) and traditional IRA you pay taxes on everything, and you're also forced to take distributions when you're 70.5.
                    But you only pay taxes at the rate you take it out. And since many spend less to live on in retirement, you gain a lot by lowering your tax bracket.

Whereas a Roth, you are taxed at your income rate.

Plus, there are limits on who can actually use a Roth. Sure, most of the middle class will never see that, but that does leave people who earn up to the 401k limit as the ones who really are holding the tax burden bag.

A far better way to raise income taxes is to balance the taxes WRT source. Make unearned income equal with earned income. That will generate billions in tax revenue. Make actually working for your money the goal again. But this will never happen, as it puts more burden on people who make over $1M a year. As if they need to pay less to live on.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      But you only pay taxes at the rate you take it out. And since many spend less to live on in retirement, you gain a lot by lowering your tax bracket.

Whereas a Roth, you are taxed at your income rate.

Plus, there are limits on who can actually use a Roth. Sure, most of the middle class will never see that, but that does leave people who earn up to the 401k limit as the ones who really are holding the tax burden bag.

A far better way to raise income taxes is to balance the taxes WRT source. Make unearned income equal with earned income. That will generate billions in tax revenue. Make actually working for your money the goal again. But this will never happen, as it puts more burden on people who make over $1M a year. As if they need to pay less to live on.
                      Yep. I can't contribute to a Roth but I'm certainly not in the top few percent.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        Stupid and showing signs of dementia. That dialogue is just fugly, no matter how you slice it.
                        He's not showing signs of dementia. Looking back over his statements throughout his career he has always been rock stupid. He's not losing his fastball. This is his fastball.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          Since the tax plan is a big part of the next few weeks- did anyone hear the way they plan on getting back the taxes lost by lowering the tax brackets?

By lowering what you are allowed to put into a 401k.

Seriously. Instead of limiting to 18k a year, it will go to well under $5,000. That raises a person's immediate taxable income.

Which means that people who put a very significant part of their income into their retirement will be funding the upper end who have a tax break.

Yay.
                          Is this for real?
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Is this for real?
                            Yep.

At least it was proposed. I just saw an article that Trump says no to this one. Sounds like Trump just wants to blow up the deficit.
                            Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 10-23-2017, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Is this for real?
                              http://www.businessinsider.com/retir...x-plan-2017-10

I heard it during Morning Edition this morning, too.

edit- here's a NYT article, too. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/20/u...tax-401-k.html

This would really suck for us- we are in the area that maxes out the contributions and do not qualify for Roth.
                              Last edited by alfablue; 10-23-2017, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                                He's also now tweeting that the war widow is lying- this outta end well.
                                "How dare you misunderstand what I was trying to convey and misconstrue it as an insult to the troops", says guy who thinks kneeling football players hate America.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X