Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 122 Franchises Ranked Bottom to Top:

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    A better gauge of long-term success is record.
    https://www.besttickets.com/blog/win...rs-pro-sports/

My teams: 55 NFL, 69 MLB-NL, 80 MLB-AL, 106 NHL; mean: 77.4, median: 74.5

Edit: that chart counts ties as losses (i.e., "non-wins"). FAIL!
    Last edited by Kepler; 01-03-2018, 02:09 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      https://www.besttickets.com/blog/win...rs-pro-sports/

My teams: 55 NFL, 69 MLB-NL, 80 MLB-AL, 106 NHL; mean: 77.4, median: 74.5

Edit: that chart counts ties as losses (i.e., "non-wins"). FAIL!
      Dallas top nhl team??

Shenanigans!!!
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        Dallas top nhl team??

Shenanigans!!!
        Combination of SSS and also the tie quirk.

Here are the actual* all-time NHL standings by win%.

* Still f-cked up because of the 3-point game.
        Last edited by Kepler; 01-03-2018, 02:26 PM.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Combination of SSS and also the tie quirk.

Here are the actual* all-time NHL standings by win%.

* Still f-cked up because of the 3-point game.
          And just to be clear, the 8 next to the clowns is highly misleading
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

62. Dallas Mavericks

Why? With an owner that puts “maverick” into “Mavericks”, however, after a decent run this century, it looks like the Mavericks are trending downward.

The Good. One NBA Championship in 2011, Two Western Conference Championships (2006, 2011)

The Bad. Before the arrival of Mark Cuban as owner, and Dirk Nowitzki, the Mavericks were the laughing stock of the NBA. Some of those seasons including a 24-140 in 1993 and 1994 combined.

The Ugly. In the late 1980’s, The Mavericks feeling they were one step away from contending with the Lakers, decided on a win now strategy. They depended on Roy Tarpley, but Tarpley had drug issues, eventually banned by the NBA. They signed Fat Lever, but tore his knee in his first month of play. The plan failed and veteran talent was shipped elsewhere, they played with youth and for a while replaced the Clippers as the NBA’s running joke.

Where they play: American Airlines Center, replaced the Reunion Arena in 2001. It made those finals against the Heat very confusing (they play in American Airlines Arena).

Owner: Mark Cuban, bought the Mavericks from former presidential candidate Ross Perot in 2000. Cuban is probably the most visible owner in the NBA, Cuban has been fined 13 times with fines totally almost $2 million. Offered Donald Trump $1 million to shave his head

Coach: Rick Carlisle, played as a backup for the Celtics in the 1980’s. One of the longest tenured NBA coaches, picked up his 700th win last month.

Top Current Players: Harrison Barnes, Dirk Nowitzki, and Northeastern’s J.J. Barea

Hall of Famers: Nobody that lasted longer than a season.

Up Next: The Minnesota Vikings
            Last edited by CommAvHusky; 01-04-2018, 07:34 AM.
            Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
            —H. L. Mencken

Comment

61. New York Knickerbockers

Why? While New York sports fans are divided on who they root for in baseball, football, and hockey, fans generally will all get behind the Knicks. The Knicks in turn, give out a terrible product year after year, after year.

The Good. Two NBA Championships (1970, 1973), Eight Eastern Conference Championships (last one in 1999)

The Bad. If you take out the early 1950’s, early 1970’s and the 1990’s, the Knicks have been a ****show. Finished last ten out of eleven seasons from 1956-1966, Have only advanced once in the playoffs since 2000.

The Ugly. The entire Isiah Thomas error. The Phil Jackson error. That one season with Larry Brown as coach where he collected $28 million for 23 wins. The fact that Knick fans cringe that Isiah is still running the team from behind the scenes.

Where they play: Madison Square Garden, The World’s Most Famous Arena. The current building is the fourth incarnation of the Garden and currently the oldest NHL Arena and second oldest NBA Arena. The first two venues are much closer to Madison Square than the current version which is above Penn Station.

Owner: James Dolan, probably the most incompetent owner in sports. The Knicks were handed to him from his robber baron cable broker father and all Jimmy has done is show an interest for playing ****ty blues music and listen to Isiah Thomas’s bull****. Whenever Dolan gets criticized publicly, Dolan’s usual comeback is that person is “an alcoholic”. Dolan is a recovering alcoholic himself, good for him but I hope he becomes buddies with Jim Irsay one day. The Anucha Browne-Sanders sexual harassment suit in 2007 was another black eye, Dolan is just lucky it wasn’t 2017. I wished Charles Oakley kicked Dolan’s *** last year.

Coach: Jeff Hornacek, had a sturdy 14 year career. Fired from the Phoenix Suns while coaching a 14-35 mark, that makes him perfect material to be Jim Dolan’s Coaching Busboy.

Top Current Players: Krapsnips Porkzingers, Enes Kanter, and Tim Hardaway Jr.

Hall of Famers: Nathaniel Clifton, Walt Frazier, Dick McGuire, Dave DeBusschere, Bernard King, Patrick Ewing, Richie Guerin, Harry Gallatin, Earl Monroe, Willis Reed, Senator Bill Bradley

Up Next: The Minnesota Vikings
              —H. L. Mencken

Comment

If the Knicks are consistently horrible, why are they 61st? Its like your entire blurb was explaining why they should be ranked much lower.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by CommAvHusky View Post
                  the oldest NHL Arena
                  Huh. I did not know this.

I was very disappointed when I finally made it to MSG. It's a dump, and not just because it's old but it was designed as a dump -- it has none of the romance I think of as adhering to MSG. Hopefully the next iteration of Massive NYC Renewal will restore both the Garden and (more importantly) Pennsylvania Station to their rightful splendor. It's the greatest city in the world*, for f-ck's sake -- the public buildings should be cathedrals, not downsized rat traps.

* Offer also available in Rome, Paris, Istanbul, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 01-05-2018, 08:04 AM.
                  Cornell University

Comment

I was wondering where my Knickers were at!

Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                      If the Knicks are consistently horrible, why are they 61st? Its like your entire blurb was explaining why they should be ranked much lower.
                      Well, they are the worst team in the top half of this blurb.
                      —H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I was very disappointed when I finally made it to MSG. It's a dump, and not just because it's old but it was designed as a dump -- it has none of the romance I think of as adhering to MSG. Hopefully the next iteration of Massive NYC Renewal will restore both the Garden and (more importantly) Pennsylvania Station to their rightful splendor. It's the greatest city in the world*, for f-ck's sake -- the public buildings should be cathedrals, not downsized rat traps.

For Ranger fans, this is considered high class.
                        —H. L. Mencken

Comment

For Ranger fans, this is considered high class.
                          This is classy:

This is cool:

This is beautiful:

This is a sh-thole:

Last edited by Kepler; 01-05-2018, 09:50 AM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Chicago Bears, #4, highest of any NFL team.
                            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

As a diehard Rangers fan and true believer that NYC is absolutely the greatest city in the world, I kind of agree with you.

Granted, I haven't been to the recently renovated MSG, but to me, it's not so much a sh*thole (I think that's overly harsh), but very poorly designed, with some terrible sightlines, and a general lack of character and charisma.

BTW, didn't Grand Central Station get a complete overhaul? I think that's supposed to be pretty darn nice now. Penn Station is a true sh*thole, though better than the Port Authority ... which certainly isn't saying much.
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

61. New York Knickerbockers

Where they play: Madison Square Garden, The World’s Most Famous Arena. The current building is the fourth incarnation of the Garden and currently the oldest NHL Arena and second oldest NBA Arena. The first two venues are much closer to Madison Square than the current version which is above Penn Station.
                                When they build a fifth version by the old rail yards, it will really be far away from Madison Square.
                                Russell Jaslow
                                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                                X