Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 122 Franchises Ranked Bottom to Top:

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    2.5 years as a Math major and realized that if I was not enthralled by Advanced Calculus and Compiler Cobstruction, that was not the major for me. Switched to Accounting.
    A wise move for your mental and financial health.

Comment

84. Cleveland Browns

Why? From a storied franchise in the 1950’s & 60’s to a “oh so close” period in the 1980’s to controversial suspension of operations in the 1990’s to the total abortion that is the relaunching of the team in the 21st Century. Easily considered the worst team in the NFL currently, maybe the worst in sports.

The Good. 4 NFL Championships, with the last one being in 1964. The Browns won the NFL Championship in its first season in 1950. Prior to that they were part of the AAFC, winning all the championships in all four years of the leagues existence. In the Super Bowl Era, they reached the AFC Title Game 3 times between 1986-1989, don’t ask about “The Drive” or “The Fumble”.

The Bad. Currently, 29 consecutive losses on Sundays. Haven’t won a road game in regulation in over three years. Since operations returned in 1999, only one playoff appearance.

The Ugly. After losing the 1989 AFC Championship, things turned to the worse for the Browns, the following season they went 3-13, they went and hired Bill Belichick as Head Coach, while he got the Browns to the playoffs in 1994, 1995 would be a disaster for the Browns and their fans. Owner Art Modell, announced midway through the season that the Browns were going to move to Baltimore. Considered one of the most controversial relocation in sports history, it led to sponsors pulling billboards from the stadium and all plays being played at the opposite end of the infamous fan section “The Dawg Pound”.
      The fans and the City of Cleveland’s protests were successful enough to lead allow Modell to move the team to Baltimore as an expansion team while the Cleveland Browns would return to operations by 1999 either as an expansion team or a relocated team keeping their legacy and records and uniforms (albeit very ugly).
      Yes, the Browns are back but terrible play since has dragged down the legacy of a franchise famous for Jim Brown, Otto Graham and Paul Brown.

Where they play? First Energy Stadium. During the inactive period this stadium was built replacing the old Municipal Stadium (i.e. Mistake on the Lake)

Owner: Jimmy Haslem, well connected Tennessee businessman, whose brother is the governor of said state.

Coach: Hue Jackson, poor Hue Jackson has 9 wins as a NFL Coach. 8 of them are with the Raiders.

Top Current Players: Josh Gordon (when not suspended), Isaiah Crowell, and Myles Garrett will good one day.

Hall of Famers…Paul Brown, Otto Graham, Jim Brown, Marion Motley, Lou Groza, Dante Lavelli, and Ozzie Newsome*. *-Newsome’s career straddled between playing for the Browns and being an executive for the Ravens after “The Move”
      Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
      —H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by CommAvHusky View Post
        84. Cleveland Browns
        49 spots higher than they should be
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Since operations returned in 1999, only one playoff appearance.
          Holy crow. I'd have guessed the whole dumb Ravens/Browns thing went down about 9 years ago. Time accelerates.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Holy crow. I'd have guessed the whole dumb Ravens/Browns thing went down about 9 years ago. Time accelerates.
            If I am not mistaken, the old Browns' franchise history did not carry over to the Ravens when the old Browns moved to Baltimore; instead the new Browns were allowed to keep the old Browns' franchise history as part of a bargain of some sort.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
              If I am not mistaken, the old Browns' franchise history did not carry over to the Ravens when the old Browns moved to Baltimore; instead the new Browns were allowed to keep the old Browns' franchise history as part of a bargain of some sort.
              Correct, the Ravens are considered an expansion team. While the Browns 'suspended operations' from 1996-1998.
              —H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                Yes, the city got to keep the crepe.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

83. St. Louis Blues

Why? One of the expansion six that came in 1967, the Blues were a crossover of hockey and jazz. Throughout its history, the Blues have been one of the most mediocre franchises in history.

The Good. The Blues made it to the Stanley Cup Finals in its first three seasons. Sounds amazing right…?

The Bad….Not really, for those three years, the NHL had the Original Six in one division and the Expansion Six in another division. The Blues are 0-12 in those three finals. When the NHL based division somewhat on geography it took until 1974 for a member of the Expansion Six to get back into the Finals. Since then the Blues are rarely bad, but rarely good either. However, the Blues have the second longest Stanley Cup Drought in the NHL.

The Ugly. Since those first three seasons, the Blues have won their division six times, losing in the first round of the playoffs four times.

Where they play…Scottrade Center, because Budwiser didn’t feel like paying for naming rights, I guess.

Owner: Saint Louis Blues Hockey Club, Inc. led by Summit Distributing CEO Tom Stillman

Coach: Mike Yeo, in his second season coaching the Blues after being fired as the coach of the Minnesota Wild for four+ seasons.

Top Current Players: Vladimir Tarasenko, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn

Hall of Famers…Bernie Federko, Brett Hull, Adam Oates, Chris Pronger, Al MacInnis
                  —H. L. Mencken

Comment

83. St. Louis Blues

Why? One of the original 12 that....
                    fyp
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

83. St. Louis Blues

Hall of Famers…Bernie Federko, Brett Hull, Adam Oates, Chris Pronger, Al MacInnis
                      You forgot about Wayne Gretzky's cup of coffee...
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

What about the time the Blues nearly folded and moved (to Saskatoon?) and skipped the player draft?
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                          I certainly never will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRoNqiiY6Lg
                          Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 12-06-2017, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            What about the time the Blues nearly folded and moved (to Saskatoon?) and skipped the player draft?
                            If I was a Blues fan and had dogs, I would have banned Purina Dog Chow.

Safe to say that potential move was highly checkered
                            —H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                              I think it was more of a rest room stop.
                              —H. L. Mencken

Comment

I think it was more of a rest room stop.
                                I was trying to think of something less than a cup of coffee, since it was so brief.

You nailed it.
                                Russell Jaslow
                                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                                X