X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 122 Franchises Ranked Bottom to Top:

Originally posted by CommAvHusky View Post
    121. Seattle Mariners
    Hall of Famer...Ken Griffey Jr., Jr made the Mariners relevant for the first time in their franchise history hitters dingers and dongers in his prime. The Mariners have had their own set of stars in Ichiro, A-Rod, and Edgar Martinez, however the franchise has been irrelevant.
    Also had Randy Johnson. Given the 116 win season and the talent they once had, 2nd-from-last seems a bit harsh...unless this one of those "what have you done for me lately?" rankings rather than historical.

On what basis can a franchise that has only played 3 games in its entire history be ranked higher, historically? No fancy formulas here, eh?

If jersey sales are any metric, then the Hartford Whalers get ranked higher than the Carolina Hurricanes......
    Last edited by FreshFish; 10-11-2017, 04:28 PM.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      They're not second from the bottom of all major sports franchises, ferchrissakes.
      I mean, the Winnipeg Thrashers and Phoenix Jets/Coyotes are right there.
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Minnesota has two franchises I would put below the Mariners.
        Originally posted by dicaslover
        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
          Minnesota has two franchises I would put below the Mariners.
          I can't disagree.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            I can't disagree.
            Wild and Twolves?
            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
              Wild and Twolves?
              Correct. North Stars would be part of the Dallas franchise now.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

120. Minnesota Timberwolves

Why?...This team has never been good without Kevin Garnett playing or Flip Saunders coaching.

The Good....They made the playoffs for eight consecutive seasons.

The Bad....They play second fiddle to the WNBA’s Minnesota Lynx.

The Ugly....winning seasons without Kevin Garnett on the roster…0.

Where they play? Target Center. Where they are often targeted to lose. Owned by the City of Minneapolis after playing its inaugural season in the Metrodome. Renovations were made in 2015 costing the taxpayers $75 million, ownership paid $50 million, and the operating company contributed almost $6 million.

Owner: Glen Taylor, made his money in printing and electronics, former politicians, beloved in Mankato. Owner of the Star-Tribune. Banned for one year for illegally signing Joe Smith.

Coach: Tom Thibodeau, sounds more like a Cajun chef, journeyman assistant coach before getting his shot with the Chicago Bulls, coaching them to some of their best post-Jordan seasons.

Top Current Player: Karl-Anthony Towns and Andrew Wiggins I’ve heard of, wow Jamal Crawford is still playing bouncyball, good for him.

Hall of Famer...Kevin Garnett will eventually get there, the Wolves were nice enough to trade him to the Celtics so he can get a championship because obviously he won’t get one in Minnesota.
                Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
                —H. L. Mencken

Comment

So you dont know who Jimmy Butler is. The Wolves actual best player.
                  PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                  Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                  NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                    So you dont know who Jimmy Butler is. The Wolves actual best player.
                    Just making sure you're paying attention
                    —H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                      TBF, Ichiro will be in the Hall soon ....
                      doesn't one have to be retired for a while first?

how soon is now
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

119. Memphis Grizzlies

a.k.a Vancouver Grizzlies

Why?... The NBA experimented with having two expansion teams play in Canada. One worked, kinda. This is the other one. Although a decent franchise this decade they have been atrocious for the most part especially in their Vancouver days.

The Good. They did make it to the Western Conference Finals in 2013, albeit swept.

The Bad. 101-359 record in six seasons in Vancouver.

The Ugly. Nobody wanted to play in Vancouver. Fans didn’t want to see a bunch of losers forcing the NBA to have its first relocation in 16 years. The Grizz were shopped around, with the Memphis being the eventual “winner”

Where they play? FedEx Forum which is owned by the City of Memphis, cost the city $250 million. FedEx has naming rights, they carry a very heavy business presence in Memphis.

Owner: Robert Pera, CEO of Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. One of the 10 youngest billionaires in the world, made his money through Apple and helping develop wireless communication.

Coach: David Fizdale, just finished his first season coaching the Grizz, a longtime career assistant coach.

Top Current Player: Lets go with Marc Gasol and Mike Conley

Hall of Famer...Technically Allen Iverson had a cup of coffee here in 2009, the closest would probably be Zach Randolph.
                        —H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          how soon is now
                          Wrong thread.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

118. Columbus Blue Jackets

Why?...the NHL picked Columbus for an expansion franchise in hopes hockey fans from Cleveland and Cincinnati would come to Columbus to watch hockey?!?

The Good....They did have their best season in franchise history last season

The Bad....Have only made the playoffs three times and never advanced.

The Ugly....The only sport the fans care about is Ohio State Football.

Where they play? Nationwide Arena. I imagine fans are encouraged to hum the Nationwide theme, just like Peyton Manning. This is the arena where in 2002, a fan was killed by hockey puck leading the way for all arenas to have safety netting.

Owner: John P. McConnell, CEO of Worthington Industries.

Coach: John Tortarella, an angry guy and terrible human being.

Top Current Players: Nick Foligno and Sergei Bobrovsky make the Jackets currently a decent team

Hall of Famer...Sergei Federov had a cup of coffee here, probably not at the German Village.
                            —H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by CommAvHusky View Post
                              Why?...the NHL picked Columbus for an expansion franchise in hopes hockey fans from Cleveland and Cincinnati would come to Columbus to watch hockey?!?
                              Columbus is a bigger city than both Cleveland and Cincinnati, and the metro areas of all three are within 100,000 of each other.
                              Originally posted by dicaslover
                              Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                              Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                                Columbus is a bigger city than both Cleveland and Cincinnati, and the metro areas of all three are within 100,000 of each other.
                                So, they're all small?

Edit: nope, Columbus is bigger than Seattle. Whoa. That's a lot of mediocrity in one place.

Cities that are way bigger than I'd have guessed, in millions:

1.5 San Antonio (bigger than Dallas)
                                0.9 Austin (bigger than San Francisco)
                                0.9 Columbus (bigger than Seattle)
                                0.7 El Paso (bigger than Washington DC)
                                0.6 Louisville (bigger than Baltimore)
                                0.5 Long Beach (bigger than Miami)
                                0.3 Santa Ana, CA (I've never even heard of Santa Ana, CA)

c.f. cities in China I have never heard of with ten million people:

21.1 Hangzhou
                                19.8 Wuhan
                                18.0 Chengdu
                                13.0 Jinan
                                12.2 Shenyang
                                12.0 Harbin
                                11.7 Shantou
                                Last edited by Kepler; 10-16-2017, 10:37 AM.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X