122 Franchises Ranked Bottom to Top:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I'd like one wherever I retire, too, but everybody south of 40 degrees North must go.
    I hate to break it to you. But i only care about me in this discussion.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Re: 122 Franchises Ranked Bottom to Top:

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
      I hate to break it to you. But i only care about me in this discussion.
      This discussion?
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It's the Panthers that need to be moved somewhere else. TB and Nashville can stay put. Carolina probably won't move again because of the 2006 Cup win.

Comment

90. Atlanta Hawks

(a.k.a. St. Louis Hawks, Milwaukee Hawks, Tri-Cities Hawks, )

Why? Second longest championship drought in NBA History, produced more slam dunk champions than actual NBA Championships.

The Good. One NBA Championship…and the reason why the Celtics can’t claim 10 championships in a row.

The Bad…that championship was 49 years ago. Up until 2015, the Hawks never moved past the second round since their lone championship.

The Ugly....Keeping the tradition of crappy professional sports in Atlanta. Am I the only person out there that looks at the Atlanta Hawks logo and want to play Pac-Man for three hours?

Where they play? Phillips Arena, where bright ideas come to die.

Owner: Tony Ressler, is married to Jami Gertz from ‘The Lost Boys’ fame. Former NBA great Grant Hill is a minority owner.

Coach: Mike Budenholzer currently in his fifth season, longtime assistant for Gregg Popovich in San Antonio.

Top Current Players: Dennis Schroder, is probably one of most talented German NBA Players not named Dirk Nowitzki.

Hall of Famers…Bob Pettit, Pete Maravich, Lenny Wilkens, Dominique Wilkins, and Dikembe Mutombo.
          Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
          —H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            It's the Panthers that need to be moved somewhere else. TB and Nashville can stay put. Carolina probably won't move again because of the 2006 Cup win.
            As a bare minimum, contract FL, TB, Nsh, and Car.

If you feel you must move them, move them to Moscow, Prague, Stockholm and Zurich.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

89. Washington Wizards

(a.k.a. Washington Bullets, Capitol Bullets, Baltimore Bullets, Chicago Packers/Zephyrs )

Why? I always thought The Wizard of Ughs was a more appropriate name for this team.

The Good. One NBA Championship(1978) were decent in both Baltimore and Washington during the Wes Unseld Era.

The Bad…..Since then kept its traditional role as an Eastern Conference doormat, they have been better in recent years.

The Ugly....Even a past his prime Michael Jordan couldn’t get this team into playoff contention. In 2005, the Wizards got past the first round of the playoffs for the first time since 1982.

Where they play? Capital One Arena (with Captials)

Owner: Ted Leonsis (with Capitals). Former owner Abe Pollin changed the nickname from Bullets to Wizards in 1997, due to the negative image of the word ‘bullet’ especially in the large African-American community in Washington, of course ‘wizard’ is a rank in the Ku Klux Klan….

Coach: Scott Brooks, had a journeyman career as a player. As a coach had some success with the Oklahoma City Thunder, currently in his second year with the Wizards.

Top Current Players: Bradley Beal and John Wall

Hall of Famers…Wes Unseld, Earl ‘The Pearl’ Monroe, Elvin Hayes, Gus Johnson
              —H. L. Mencken

Comment

88. New York Jets

(a.k.a New York Titans)

Why? Appropriated numbered after my all-time favorite Jet, Al Toon.

The Good. Winners of Super Bowl III, one of the greatest upsets in sports history.

The Bad…..Everything else since that moment

The Ugly....The entire Kotite Era, two seasons, four wins. The Jets involved in any AFC title game brings out a lot of ugly.

Where they play? Met Life Stadium, The Jets have never had their own stadium. When as the Titans they played in the Polo Grounds before it was torn down, played in Shea Stadium which is owned by the Mets, moved to Giants Stadium in 1984 which was owned by the Giants.

Owner: Woddy Johnson, current U.S. Ambassador to the U.K. cares more about Republican causes than his own team.

Coach: Todd Bowles, known as the anti-Rex Ryan, black, quiet, thin, no discussions of foot fetishes and tattoos.

Top Current Players: Jamal Adams, Leonard Williams, Muhammad Wilkerson

Hall of Famers…Joe Namath, Dan Maynard, Curtis Martin
                —H. L. Mencken

Comment

87. Arizona Diamondbacks

Why? 87 seems appropriate since they have 87 billion uniform combinations

The Good. One World Series Championship in 2001, baseball gods have smited them ever since.

The Bad…..Their 111 season in 2004 was one for the ages…The Dark Ages.

The Ugly....Those Uniforms, you think they let some kid select which kits before the first pitch.

Where they play? Chase Field, you know it as the stadium with a swimming pool, it can fit about 12 people but when it should fit 48,000

Owner: Ken Kendrick, made his money in software development, probably will get a huge tax cut soon.

Manager: Torey Luvullo, just finished his first season with the D-Backs, improved by 24 games.

Top Current Players: Zack Greinke, Paul Goldschimdt, Jake Lamb, JD Martinez

Hall of Famers…Randy Johnson
                  —H. L. Mencken

Comment

D-Backs beat The jeters

Much credit
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by CommAvHusky View Post
                      [SIZE=5]Where they play? Met Life Stadium, The Jets have never had their own stadium. When as the Titans they played in the Polo Grounds before it was torn down, played in Shea Stadium which is owned by the Mets, moved to Giants Stadium in 1984 which was owned by the Giants.
                      Met Life Stadium is jointly owned by both the Jets and Giants. They both paid for it. (And I believe Giants Stadium was never owned by the Giants. The Meadowlands Complex owned it. However, your point is still valid -- everyone knew it was the Giants' stadium, and the Jets were second hand citizens in it, unlike Met Life Stadium.)

In fact, it was the Jets who insisted on making it a lot fancier than what the Giants originally wanted.
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                        Met Life Stadium is jointly owned by both the Jets and Giants. They both paid for it. (And I believe Giants Stadium was never owned by the Giants. The Meadowlands Complex owned it. However, your point is still valid -- everyone knew it was the Giants' stadium, and the Jets were second hand citizens in it, unlike Met Life Stadium.)

In fact, it was the Jets who insisted on making it a lot fancier than what the Giants originally wanted.
                        Right, what I meant was that the Jets never had their own stadium, they do share Met Life with the Giants. Worth noting, both teams played each other on Christmas Eve 2011. It was technically a Jets home game. Rex Ryan ordered the Giants trophies/banners covered up. This infuriating the Giants, winning 29-14. This served as a turning point for the Giants as they didn't lose again that season. Beating the Patriots in the Super Bowl. So in a way, you could blame the Jets for the Patriots not winning the Super Bowl that year.
                        —H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Carolina probably won't move again because of the 2006 Cup win.
                          I was in Chapel Hill for a week on a business trip during the 2006 Cup playoffs and, while anecdote is not evidence, there appeared to be minimal interest. Not a single mention the whole time I was there from any of the locals, and there were plenty of those "meet and greet" occasions in which people desperately search for some congenial topic of conversation to be sociable with strangers. I was in a sports bar one night and it was crowded and active and I was the only one paying attention to the game at all.

I really enjoy Stanley Cup hockey, and yet it still seems weird to me, having grown up in Chicago, been to school in Boston, lived in Wyoming, and now living in New England, to watch an ice hockey game after I've been mowing the lawn. I can't imagine what it would be like to have an ice hockey franchise in a city where it never snows and rarely gets below freezing.
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            D-Backs beat The jeters

Much credit
                            YeAH JEETS!
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

86. Nashville Predators

Why? Don’t be catfished by these guys, yes they are the defending Western Conference Champions and doing pretty well right now, but for the first 15+ years, this team was butt.

The Good. As mentioned, they won the Western Conference last year, only losing at home on when eliminated by Pittsburgh in Game 6. First 8th seed to sweep a 1st seed.

The Bad…..typical expansion pains, being in the purgatory that is the Central Division, when being beat up by the Blackhawks and Red Wings (yes, I know the Wings on the in the East now)

The Ugly....The unis make me want to call them the Mustard Tigers

Where they play? Bridgestone Arena, kind of a rubbery, bald kind of arena, it was built in the hopes of landing a NHL team, the Devils flirted with moving there but was granted an expansion team in 1998.

Owner: Predators Holdings, LLC. The Predators original owner was Craig Leopold. He tried to sell the team but held on as new offers were made to buy the team and relocate. The NHL approved the sale in 2007 to a local group to keep the team in Nashville. There are still some disputes to shares of the team.

Coach: Peter Laviolette, a very good hockey coach who made the Islanders a respectable team again, coached the Hurricanes to a Stanley Cup, coached the Flyers to a Stanley Cup Final.

Top Current Players: P.K. Subban, Filip Forsberg, Pekka Renne

Hall of Famers…oh god! No!
                              —H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by CommAvHusky View Post
                                Right, what I meant was that the Jets never had their own stadium, they do share Met Life with the Giants. Worth noting, both teams played each other on Christmas Eve 2011. It was technically a Jets home game. Rex Ryan ordered the Giants trophies/banners covered up. This infuriating the Giants, winning 29-14. This served as a turning point for the Giants as they didn't lose again that season. Beating the Patriots in the Super Bowl. So in a way, you could blame the Jets for the Patriots not winning the Super Bowl that year.
                                As a Jets fan, I'll take that "win." BTW, whenever the Jets are the home team, everything about the Giants are covered up. And vice versa. So, it really wasn't a Rex Ryan thing.

I once went to a Jets-Giants game at the old Giants Stadium when the Jets were the home team. Last game of the season. Jets win on the last play of the game. This essentially was going to knock the Giants out of the playoffs as long as the Rams won their game later in the day. So, us Jets fans started chanting, "R!A!M!S! RAMS! RAMS! RAMS!"

Oh, the Rams won...
                                Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 12-01-2017, 07:23 AM.
                                Russell Jaslow
                                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                                X