Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 122 Franchises Ranked Bottom to Top:

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Yup. A team with two World Series titles was posted before a long list of teams with zero titles.
    Meh. There is really only one list:

1 (t) Montreal Canadians
    1 (t) New York Yankees
    3 (t) everyone else

And before anyone squawks, I am a fan of neither.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

91. San Diego Chargers

(a.k.a. Los Angeles Chargers)

Why? I’m aware they are in Los Angeles, but this just feels right.

The Good…1994 AFC Champions, a history of high aerial offense

The Bad….1-15 in 2000, a belief that Ryan Leaf would be any good. The Chargers are a team that always falls short in the end, there always seems to be someone a little better

The Ugly....the franchise move from San Diego to Los Angeles is considered one of the most pathetic moves in sports and a sign incompetence on the part of the NFL. Los Angeles doesn’t even want the Chargers, they are playing in a sub 30K soccer stadium and it is filled with fans of the opposing team. This season will feel like 16 road games for the Chargers

Where they play? StubHub Center, a soccer stadium until the new Los Angeles stadium the Rams are building gets ready. While in San Diego, the Chargers played in Qualcomm Stadium which was a pit and needed to be replaced.

Owner: Alex Spanos (son Dean calls the shots). Spanos wanted taxpayer money to fund a new stadium in San Diego, it was defeated multiple times in referendums. Aligned with Raiders owner, Mark Davis to get the NFL to approve a new stadium and have both teams move to LA. Instead, the NFL agreed to the Rams moving to LA and giving the Chargers a year to decide whether to be the second banana of the Rams. LA Fans would rather have the Raiders but the Spanos is more friendly to the powers that be, as opposed to the spawn of Al Davis.

Coach: Anthony Lynn, started as a running backs coach then moved his way to assistant, then a brief interim job with the Bills. On the bright side, if he coaches poorly there won’t be enough people to witness it.

Top Current Players: Philip Rivers, Melvin Gordon, Keenan Allen.

Hall of Famers…Dan Fouts, Junior Seau (r.i.p.), Charlie Joiner, Kellen Winslow, Fred Dean, LaDainian Tomlinson

#90 will be posted on Monday
      Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
      —H. L. Mencken

Comment

At least the Chargers’ stink rubbed off on the Galaxy when they moved to the StubHub Center. That’s probably their biggest accomplishment in the last 20 years.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Meh. There is really only one list:

1 (t) Montreal Canadians
          1 (t) New York Yankees
          3 (t) everyone else

And before anyone squawks, I am a fan of neither.
          The Boston Celtics should be #3, and then everyone else at #4.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by CommAvHusky View Post
            91. San Diego Chargers

(a.k.a. Los Angeles Chargers)

Why? I’m aware they are in Los Angeles, but this just feels right.
            Weren't they the Los Angeles Chargers in their very first year of existence in the AFL?
            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              Weren't they the Los Angeles Chargers in their very first year of existence in the AFL?
              Yes, the Chargers started in LA. They're like the Reverse Raiders.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                The Boston Celtics should be #3, and then everyone else at #4.
                No, if you admit the Celtics you have to admit the Lakers, and by definition there can't be two dominant teams in the same sport.

The Yankees and Canadians are different because they are the only two major franchises to be able to claim completely inarguable dominance. Everybody else is just a putz.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

No, if you admit the Celtics you have to admit the Lakers, and by definition there can't be two dominant teams in the same sport.

The Yankees and Canadians are different because they are the only two major franchises to be able to claim completely inarguable dominance. Everybody else is just a putz.
                  I didn't realize the Lakers won only one less than the Celtics. I always just figured the Celtics were way above everyone else. And even if you don't count the Minneapolis titles, that's still 17-11 (if you also don't count the BAA title), so still not complete domination as you state.
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                    Here's what was meant:
                    List the original MLB teams, excluding the Phillies.. Now ask which ones won the World Series before the Phillies did. The answer is all them.
                    ah, thanks!
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I'm waiting to see the landing place for the franchise in which the jersey for the city from which they moved away 20 years ago still outsells the jersey for the franchise in its current location.....
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                        I'm waiting to see the landing place for the franchise in which the jersey for the city from which they moved away 20 years ago still outsells the jersey for the franchise in its current location.....
                        Hartford? I honestly can never remember whether they went to Carolina or Nashville -- both franchises need to be contracted.

They outta be coming up now real soon.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Hartford? I honestly can never remember whether they went to Carolina or Nashville -- both franchises need to be contracted.

Carolina.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Carolina can stay. I like having a pro sport in town!
                            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                              They also have a relatively recent Cup win. So it's not like the ownership isn't trying to win. Or maybe that should be "wasn't" because I don't know how they're currently operating.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                                I'd like one wherever I retire, too, but everybody south of 40 degrees North must go.

Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X