Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: RPI Hockey 2017 - 2018: A Wealth of Notions

Re: RPI Hockey 2017 - 2018: A Wealth of Notions

Ralph, I think you were right. Gambrell had the winning shoot out goal against Miami on Nov. 19, 2016. I only had to look at the games with shootouts or 3 x 3 OT, not every game.
    Websites are like Pick to Click--no points for shootouts.
    Last edited by vizoroo; 11-01-2017 at 12:30 AM.
    GO DU !!!

Conductor emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    tweet
    I would have thought that of any of our goals this weekend, the Hayhurst breakaway would have been a top 5 play. Pretty impressive separation from the defense and he was able to roof it even after being fouled.
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
    2014-2015 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Jared Wilson is one of 20 nominees for the Senior Class Award. http://www.seniorclassaward.com/news...r_class_award/

Quote Originally Posted by lugnut92 View Post
    I would have thought that of any of our goals this weekend, the Hayhurst breakaway would have been a top 5 play. Pretty impressive separation from the defense and he was able to roof it even after being fouled.
    Both the Tironese and Hayhurst plays were great efforts and great finishes!

So here's a question I've been thinking about for quite some time....I think I have my own answer, but I'd really like to hear others first:

What will it take for RPI hockey to finally turn the corner and once again become a national college hockey powerhouse?

Really??!!

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonMike View Post
    So here's a question I've been thinking about for quite some time....I think I have my own answer, but I'd really like to hear others first:

What will it take for RPI hockey to finally turn the corner and once again become a national college hockey powerhouse?
    $$$$$ and administrative backing and the right coach. Two of three the jury is out on and the third???

PUCKMAN RULES!!!

It is not money. We can not compete with the big 10 schools and the midwest hockey powerhouses spending. We have to look at schools like Boston University and Boston College for the answers.
    We certainly need the right coach, and only time will tell if we have our guy.
    We need to recruit top talent, and that will only happen if we can start winning (can you say "catch 22"?). Also, HFH is a great barn for us fans, but it is not a great draw for recruits.
    I don't know if we can ever become a powerhouse, but I do believe that we can be competitive, and we should be able to compete for an ECAC championship on a regular basis.
    Only time will tell.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Made in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    It is not money. We can not compete with the big 10 schools and the midwest hockey powerhouses spending. We have to look at schools like Boston University and Boston College for the answers.
    We need to recruit top talent, and that will only happen if we can start winning (can you say "catch 22"?). Also, HFH is a great barn for us fans, but it is not a great draw for recruits.
    I don't know if we can ever become a powerhouse, but I do believe that we can be competitive, and we should be able to compete for an ECAC championship on a regular basis.
    Only time will tell.
    With all the brand new arenas popping up, combined with the feelings of nostalgia by many, something tells me we're going to be well positioned with the barn we have, so long as we keep it up to shape.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

"Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    With all the brand new arenas popping up, combined with the feelings of nostalgia by many, something tells me we're going to be well positioned with the barn we have, so long as we keep it up to shape.
    Recruits are mostly looking for high end locker and training facilities. Otherwise HFH itself is fine with a few upgrades to modernize. Dan Jewell is the key for the near future - good move for the new coach to bring him onboard.

Only time will tell.
    Not that I know what recruits look for, I think that an increased fan interest and attendance would improve things.

Quote Originally Posted by son-of-alumn View Post
    Recruits are mostly looking for high end locker and training facilities. Otherwise HFH itself is fine with a few upgrades to modernize. Dan Jewell is the key for the near future - good move for the new coach to bring him onboard.
    Why Jewell?

Great replies so far. My own answer is a little more simplistic. Even though coaching, facilities, and admin support are certainly key foundational components to a good program, I just have a very strong feeling that what this team really needs is right now is college hockey's version of Kurt Warner...what I mean is a kid that comes in under the radar and just naturally turns into a goal scoring machine. I don't think we've had anyone like that since Joe' Juneau. Someone that is a threat to score at ANY time - feared by the competition, takes the team on his back and starts drawing attention from the fans and, in turn, higher caliber recruits; and the cycle of success starts churning. I think it has to start on the ice, not off of it - just my opinion as a long time fan...

Really??!!

It is not money. We can not compete with the big 10 schools and the midwest hockey powerhouses spending. We have to look at schools like Boston University and Boston College for the answers.We certainly need the right coach, and only time will tell if we have our guy. We need to recruit top talent, and that will only happen if we can start winning (can you say "catch 22"?). Also, HFH is a great barn for us fans, but it is not a great draw for recruits. I don't know if we can ever become a powerhouse, but I do believe that we can be competitive, and we should be able to compete for an ECAC championship on a regular basis. Only time will tell
    How can you say it is not money? Is the recruiting budget unlimited? Are you paying the Asst Coaches enough to get the best ones? Great barn ok, more like great 3/4 of a barn? You can get really good talent before you win, it happens all the time. A B10 team has not won it since 2007.

I may rattle some feathers but has RPI ever been a “national powerhouse”? I get the 2 NC but all in all how many trips to NCAAs have they been in.....6? Maybe the more realistic thinking should be a top 4 ECAC Team year after year?

Great replies so far. My own answer is a little more simplistic. Even though coaching, facilities, and admin support are certainly key foundational components to a good program, I just have a very strong feeling that what this team really needs is right now is college hockey's version of Kurt Warner...what I mean is a kid that comes in under the radar and just naturally turns into a goal scoring machine. I don't think we've had anyone like that since Joe' Juneau. Someone that is a threat to score at ANY time - feared by the competition, takes the team on his back and starts drawing attention from the fans and, in turn, higher caliber recruits; and the cycle of success starts churning. I think it has to start on the ice, not off of it - just my opinion as a long time fan...
    They did have a 2 time ECAC POY & 2 time Hobey nominee in Polacek. Did that do anything?

Quote Originally Posted by turk181 View Post
    They did have a 2 time ECAC POY & 2 time Hobey nominee in Polacek. Did that do anything?
    Yep - Made them fun to watch. I'll take another Chase any day...

Yep - Made them fun to watch. I'll take another Chase any day...
    We have one, he's a goalie.

Quote Originally Posted by turk181 View Post
    I may rattle some feathers but has RPI ever been a “national powerhouse”? I get the 2 NC but all in all how many trips to NCAAs have they been in.....6? Maybe the more realistic thinking should be a top 4 ECAC Team year after year?
    I do agree, we have not been a national powerhouse for more than a year or two at a time, unless one regards the Harkness era as such.

Just for correctness, we have been to the NCAA tourney 9 times.

I miss Tie Domi
    Only time will tell.
    I've never bought into the rink argument and probably never will. Union and Cornell both have very modest rinks and they seem to do just fine. Kids commit to schools because they believe in a coach and what they have done and / or what they are building. HFH has done what I view as nicely placed improvements to the building and Locker rooms. The ECAV is a very good training facility and can go toe to toe with any facility in the league.

If you ask me the quickest way to help this program is for anyone with a vested interest contribute in a real way to the hockey booster club. The Garnet Blades club has had a huge impact on U's rise and is a model that could easily be followed. For folks who are fed up with SAJ's malarkey this is the most effective way to bypass her and help the squad in a very real way. Cash for the program to spend on travel, recruiting and needed expenses - that's how you make an impact.
    Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 11-02-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Thread Information