This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 25+years View Post
    What is the story with Kyle St. Denis? He was bought in early to fill the hole when Hackett was kicked off the team. He has never really been given a chance to show what he can do and gave up a year of eligibility, I think, for a small part of a season. Why not give him a shot? They really have little to lose. If they aren't going to do that, I would rotate the goalies the rest of the way unless someone really demonstrates clear superiority in goal. That has not happened so far. How will this work going forward? Perry is a Junior, Marshall a Freshman (or is it First Year?), and St. Denis is a Sophomore. Will one (or more) be dropped for a new prospect? The team clearly can't get better unless the goaltending gets better. Lastly, SA was foremost a goalie coach. Who is filling that role now? That may be part of the problem here.
    Jewell handles the goalies. 13 games for Marshall is certainly far too few draw any conclusions. It is a big jump from juniors to D1. One need to look no further than Q'pacs frosh keeper Petruzzelli --he entered the fall as the #2 draft eligible goalie in NA. He's had his struggles in cracking the lineup and is 3.95/.860 at present.

I agree that our keepers have allowed some soft goals - and I believe they can and will tighten this up. What has not been mentioned is our propensity to allow opponents "layup" goals due to lack of defensive responsibility and/or effort by those playing IN FRONT of the keepers.

Defense -- in any sport-- is a mentality, a mindset and is largely born from effort - busting your a**. Next time you watch Clarkson or Union, observe how they play around their keepers. Vastly different ATTITUDE vs how RPI plays, IMO.
    Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 01-09-2018, 11:03 AM.
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2017 - 2018: A Wealth of Notions

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
      What is the story with Kyle St. Denis? He was bought in early to fill the hole when Hackett was kicked off the team. He has never really been given a chance to show what he can do and gave up a year of eligibility, I think, for a small part of a season. Why not give him a shot? They really have little to lose. If they aren't going to do that, I would rotate the goalies the rest of the way unless someone really demonstrates clear superiority in goal. That has not happened so far. How will this work going forward? Perry is a Junior, Marshall a Freshman (or is it First Year?), and St. Denis is a Sophomore. Will one (or more) be dropped for a new prospect? The team clearly can't get better unless the goaltending gets better. Lastly, SA was foremost a goalie coach. Who is filling that role now? That may be part of the problem here.
      We re getting a new goalie next season, Owen Savory. He has been doing quite well, but in a Jr. B league.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        Normally, I would agree that it isn't just a goalie failing, but the amount of bad goals given up in the first minutes of games is just not defensable (pun intended). They just don't seem to be ready to start the game. Their concentration level is awful and they are letting in goals that should be easily stopped. Once they get into the game, they play to their ability. At this point, I think that it has to be nerves.
        I'll agree that their heads aren't in the game, but it's a little amazing to me that there is almost no difference between the two goalies. Generally, "mental defects" aren't contagious, so it's hard to believe this inability to focus is identical between the two players.
        RPI Pep Band
        GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
        🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
        2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
        2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
          Jewell handles the goalies. 13 games for Marshall is certainly far too few draw any conclusions. It is a big jump from juniors to D1. One need to look no further than Q'pacs frosh keeper Petruzzelli --he entered the fall as the #2 draft eligible goalie in NA. He's had his struggles in cracking the lineup and is 3.95/.860 at present.

I agree that our keepers have allowed some soft goals - and I believe they can and will tighten this up. What has not been mentioned is our propensity to allow opponents "layup" goals due to lack of defensive responsibility and/or effort by those playing IN FRONT of the keepers.

Defense -- in any sport-- is a mentality, a mindset and is largely born from effort - busting your a**. Next time you watch Clarkson or Union, observe how they play around their keepers. Vastly different ATTITUDE vs how RPI plays, IMO.
          Given the on-ice folks when these "lapses" happen, particularly at the positions mentioned, I'd be inclined to agree with what is stated here, minus wanting to be like the mortal enemies.

Comment

We got a point!
            RPI Pep Band
            GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
            2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
            2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Much better effort tonight and we survived the all too familiar officiating bent toward Teddy's bed wetting schtick. After 1.5 periods of let em play officiating they call 3 RPI penalties in a row ...the phantom elbow call against Wilson being the most egregious. Credit to Smith for calling BS with the refs at the start of the 3rd.

Hayhurst breakaway needs to bury it..... Reisingers top corner snipe off the iron **** near broke the tie.

Marshall was excellent down the stretch. Positioning was quite good as was his rebound control. 47 Harvard shots-- aren't going to win many giving up that many
              Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 01-09-2018, 09:56 PM.
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

One other note was that Harvard rested some of their top players in Bowlby and Madsen (outside of the 3rd and OT). I see they're out, and it spoke to me like Donato didn't respect us as an opponent. The last three years we've had "success" (against a team like this, I'd consider a tie to be a success) even with not-so-hot teams, and it was usually in the 2nd and/or 3rd game, and it seemed like a habit of them. Sure the old adage is to never bet for or against RPI, but you NEVER disrespect an opponent going into a game. In any sport.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  One other note was that Harvard rested some of their top players in Bowlby and Madsen (outside of the 3rd and OT). I see they're out, and it spoke to me like Donato didn't respect us as an opponent. The last three years we've had "success" (against a team like this, I'd consider a tie to be a success) even with not-so-hot teams, and it was usually in the 2nd and/or 3rd game, and it seemed like a habit of them. Sure the old adage is to never bet for or against RPI, but you NEVER disrespect an opponent going into a game. In any sport.
                  I think you are wrong. The reason that Donato rested Bowlby is that he was my PtC selection.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    To hear H fans tell it, Madsen has not been as sharp as last year. His individual stats are good, but he's 5-5-2 overall. And With 5 games in 9 days it's not a complete shock that Teddy went to Lackey for the midweeker - perhaps to help Madsen " get his mind right" for the stretch run.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      I think you are wrong. The reason that Donato rested Bowlby is that he was my PtC selection.
                      Bowlby was on the initial lineup sheet with Jack Donato listed as an extra forward with 12 F/6 D on the line chart. When Donato the younger was in the final lineup that meant one of the other listed forwards wasn't going to play and that ended up being Bowlby. Didn't notice if Bowlby was out there for warmups but it at least suggests that Bowlby might have been touch-and-go and wasn't able to go following warmups (that's usually what the extra sweater for warmups is for).
                      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                        Bowlby was on the initial lineup sheet with Jack Donato listed as an extra forward with 12 F/6 D on the line chart. When Donato the younger was in the final lineup that meant one of the other listed forwards wasn't going to play and that ended up being Bowlby. Didn't notice if Bowlby was out there for warmups but it at least suggests that Bowlby might have been touch-and-go and wasn't able to go following warmups (that's usually what the extra sweater for warmups is for).
                        Bowlby was sick. Tried to give it a go, but could not.

Comment

There an age-old adage in hockey "You don't ask how, you ask how many". Let's take the point and move on.
                          Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                            There an age-old adage in hockey "You don't ask how, you ask how many". Let's take the point and move on.
                            I don't think anyone (at least within the RPI realm) is complaining about the point. I was just stating that I wasn't surprised by it. Take the good things that happened and continue them, take the bad things that happened and improve upon them, and we should be ready to go on Friday.

Comment

A short USCHO article about Mike Gornall transferring to the 'Tute http://www.uscho.com/2018/01/10/rens...-18-19-season/.

Rensselaer adds North Dakota transfer Gornall, who will be eligible for the ’18-19 season

Rensselaer has added transfer Mike Gornall to the roster.

The forward comes to the Engineers from North Dakota, where he spent the previous two seasons.

Due to NCAA regulations, he is ineligible to play this season, but is allowed to practice with the team.

“Mike is a hard-nosed player who brings a lot of energy to the rink every day,” said RPI coach Dave Smith in a news release. “He was a top recruit coming out of juniors and has valuable NCAA tournament experience.”

A sophomore out of Irwin, Pa., Gornall appeared in 17 games for the Fighting Hawks last season, netting two goals and an assist for three points. One of his tallies was a game-winner and he was a minus-2 with four minor penalties for eight minutes.

Gornall played in three games at UND in 2015-16, scoring one goal with a plus-1 rating and two PIMs.
                              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-10-2018, 02:37 PM.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                A short USCHO article about Mike Gornall transferring to the 'Tute http://www.uscho.com/2018/01/10/rens...-18-19-season/.
                                This is essentially RPI's press release from the website --largely verbatim.

Comment

Working...
                                X