X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2017 - 2018: A Wealth of Notions

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Watching it again, it glanced off his back and into the net. Not tight up against the top of the goal, which would have helped to prevent that. https://youtu.be/86RRpynhnbU?t=1h6m12s
    After watching the video his positioning is off just enough to cause the shot to go in. His lower body is too parallel to the goal line causing him to not be square to the shooter ----- as the shooter gets closer he has to drop his short side shoulder to try and cover the post (in essence making him smaller in net) and that leaves the space. By being more square (far side leg turned more towards the shooter ) that would put him on the post and be bigger in net by being in a taller butterfly and probably stopping the shot. In his defense he probably stops that type angle shot alot of times in that postion because the shot has to be properly placed to go in.

Comment

I was looking at our forwards stats, hoping to find a potential scorer. What I found was Billy Jerry. Four goals on twelve shots. In conference, three goals on six shots. All with limited time on ice.
      I think that we should give him a shot at playing with Burgess or E. Ohrvall, our two best assist men.
      I know that he doesn't have a history of being a big scorer, but maybe he is just maturing. Give him more ice time with a good assist man and find out if this is just luck or actual talent.
      At least he knows where the net is. JMO
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        I was looking at our forwards stats, hoping to find a potential scorer. What I found was Billy Jerry. Four goals on twelve shots. In conference, three goals on six shots. All with limited time on ice.
        I think that we should give him a shot at playing with Burgess or E. Ohrvall, our two best assist men.
        I know that he doesn't have a history of being a big scorer, but maybe he is just maturing. Give him more ice time with a good assist man and find out if this is just luck or actual talent.
        At least he knows where the net is. JMO
        It could also be that he plays on the 4th line and the best defending goes up against guys like Tironese, Hayhurst, and Liljegren, so he has much more of an opportunity than he would if he were on a top line because they're resting the best D. Don't know if that qualifies under "just luck", or a different category. Plus, how well goes he gel with his linemates, or does it seem more like "best of the rest"?

I'd certainly be game to see him play on a "more played" line, where the opposition matches up more skilled D against him.

Comment

It could also be that he plays on the 4th line and the best defending goes up against guys like Tironese, Hayhurst, and Liljegren, so he has much more of an opportunity than he would if he were on a top line because they're resting the best D. Don't know if that qualifies under "just luck", or a different category. Plus, how well goes he gel with his linemates, or does it seem more like "best of the rest"?

I'd certainly be game to see him play on a "more played" line, where the opposition matches up more skilled D against him.
          I suspect that you are correct. I have for a long time suspected that the reason that players often have a sophomore slump is that they are put on a line that plays against better defenders their second year.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

All I am saying is that when he sees an opening at the net he finds it. As opposed to Burgess who seems to miss open nets with regularity.
            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
            Benjamin Franklin
            Gary Player

Comment

All I am saying is that when he sees an opening at the net he finds it. As opposed to Burgess who seems to miss open nets with regularity.
              Unless he's Steven Stamkos' much, much more talented younger brother, there's no way you can expect Jerry to keep scoring on 33% of his shots.
              RPI Pep Band
              GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
              🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
              2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
              2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

He's not the only one who's prone to miss... it's almost become a culture in the last decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  I suspect that you are correct. I have for a long time suspected that the reason that players often have a sophomore slump is that they are put on a line that plays against better defenders their second year.
                  I'm not so sure about that being the reason, especially when you look at how some guys, like Patrick Cullen, REALLY dropped off on the sophomore year. You'd expect a good coach to notice who's doing well when scouting during a year as opposed to exclusively the offseason, and to at least adjust matchups to account for it. I'll give you if the person has to "step up" due to "graduation" (includes signing) or injury, but I really don't see that in the cases where I've seen a slump. Zalewski didn't seem to have a slump, and neither did Haggerty. And more recently, I wouldn't suspect we're seeing that much from Hayhurst. He's really answered the challenge this year with Bourbonnais gone.

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                    Unless he's Steven Stamkos' much, much more talented younger brother, there's no way you can expect Jerry to keep scoring on 33% of his shots.
                    I don't expect anything, I just want to see what he could do with more talented line mates.
                    Benjamin Franklin
                    Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                      I don't expect anything, I just want to see what he could do with more talented line mates.
                      I think that’s why he may have put Polino with him in the last 10 mins of the game. He and Tironese along with Jesper had been playing well together but as soon as the 3rd goal was scored the coach went to 3 lines and sat the Orvhalls brothers. Curious move since IMO Tironese Polino and Jesper had been the best line to that point.

Comment

Are we getting our goal scorer?

Since the above doesn't specifically mention it, this is Jakub Lacka.
                        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 12-12-2017, 01:28 PM.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          Certainly brings excitement akin to Pirri and D'Amigo coming in. And with the changes we've seen from Smith even in just a few months, I'm looking forward to this one.

Comment

Certainly brings excitement akin to Pirri and D'Amigo coming in. And with the changes we've seen from Smith even in just a few months, I'm looking forward to this one.
                            I don't expect him to be at that level, but I don't think we have gotten a Neutral Zone 4.25* recruit since they started ranking them.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Since the above doesn't specifically mention it, this is Jakub Laksa.
                              Lacka
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                                Lacka

Sorry, I forgot all my Slovak when Bubela left.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X