X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2017 - 2018: A Wealth of Notions

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Probably because wasn't all that strong when league play started, and Marshall has shown no reason why he isn't capable of being his number. Never fear, if there's a changing of the guard, he'll get in.
    I suspect that Coach Smith believes in playing the hot hand. When LM has a poor game or even a poor period, we will see Perry.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
          I have stayed quiet since the start of the season, but I think I have seen and heard enough to offer my thoughts. As a said before the season, if RPI showed itself to be a team others respect based on their compete level, I think that is certainly the case so far. They don't give up. They play better late in games and when behind on the scoreboard than they did in previous years. And they look like they feel pretty good about themselves despite their record. The challenge for the coaches is to continue to fine tune the team . and keep them playing confidently going forward. They will win more games. Lets all remember they will make the ECAC's, no matter what. But I certainly would not like to be a team playing against them. They do have the makings of a team that could upset anyone. Hopefully they will not get frustrated and lose site of that going forward, The most encouraging thing is Coach's philosophy of getting better every shift, every period, every game. That is the case here. As a fan, the most agonizing thing is when a coach throws around the cliches and nothing on the ice backs that up. That is not the case here and I am most encouraged moving forward.
          Lots of great words and perhaps some things to look forward to, but **** I am sooooo tired of all the losing.

Comment

Lots of positives from the early going - win over Q and narrow losses to nationally ranked UND and Clarkson. Freshman are logging big minutes and contributing. I will be interested to see if they can get a few timely goals and get a few wins under their belt. If we can continue the slow and steady learning/improvements we'll be a team others won't look forward to playing In the 2nd half
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

A lot of people trying to find the positives in the season so far and that's admirable and it has merit, but what if we're just bad? Like really bad. We're getting outshot by over 11 SOGs per game, which is basically just a goal against every single game. Marshall and Perry have both put up amazing goaltending performances, but when they're not Ken Dryden (and sometimes even when they are), we lose and we lose badly. There is the bright spot that we're currently shooting above the national average, and if we can keep scoring on 9.5% of our shots, we'll get those "timely goals" and win games like we did against Quinnipiac.

I'll hold out hope that we can massively tighten up the defense and keep up the shooting, but until we do that, we're just going to be bad. We might not be "fun" to play against, but I don't know how most teams still wouldn't look at us as a pretty likely two points.

EDIT: One caveat to what I said is that we have played a pretty tough schedule so far with two each against Notre Dame, Clarkson, and tOSU. Things may start to look up when we get to play Dartmouth/Yale/Brown and our home game against SLU.
              Last edited by lugnut92; 11-27-2017, 01:08 PM.
              RPI Pep Band
              GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
              🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
              2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
              2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

• Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                A lot of people trying to find the positives in the season so far and that's admirable and it has merit, but what if we're just bad? Like really bad. We're getting outshot by over 11 SOGs per game, which is basically just a goal against every single game. Marshall and Perry have both put up amazing goaltending performances, but when they're not Ken Dryden (and sometimes even when they are), we lose and we lose badly. There is the bright spot that we're currently shooting above the national average, and if we can keep scoring on 9.5% of our shots, we'll get those "timely goals" and win games like we did against Quinnipiac.

I'll hold out hope that we can massively tighten up the defense and keep up the shooting, but until we do that, we're just going to be bad. We might not be "fun" to play against, but I don't know how most teams still wouldn't look at us as a pretty likely two points.

EDIT: One caveat to what I said is that we have played a pretty tough schedule so far with two each against Notre Dame, Clarkson, and tOSU. Things may start to look up when we get to play Dartmouth/Yale/Brown and our home game against SLU.
                I'm the furthest thing you'll find from a "moral victory" guy, but I have to give credit when it's due. We took ND to OT and played well enough to win, then we follow that up with what was for 50+ mins a one goal game against CCT. And for those who aren't paying attention those are two VERY good teams. Clarkson is a legit top 5 team - they roll four solid lines and any of em can beat you.

Point being , you can be a "bad" team but are you learning anything along the way as you're taking the lumps? I believe they are. I Know I see the growth in guys like Harris, York, Samec, etc. if anything, the more senior And skilled guys need to get off the pot and start stepping up. Hayhurst, Whiffen, Burgess, Liljgren, etc need to start burying pucks. They've all had looks that haven't found the back of the net.
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                  if anything, the more senior And skilled guys need to get off the pot and start stepping up. Hayhurst, Whiffen, Burgess, Liljgren, etc need to start burying pucks. They've all had looks that haven't found the back of the net.
                  This is one of the biggest things I've noticed. Even when we make decent plays and set up guys to bury the puck, the team has absolutely no finish (which is contradicted by the reasonably high Sh%). I believe that these are for the most part all smart guys with reasonably good hockey sense (except for when Tironese just blindly threw the puck back deep with the goalie pulled against Notre Dame, that was the most idiotic decision I've ever seen), but that maybe the hands can't pull off the moves the head tries to make.
                  RPI Pep Band
                  🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                    This is one of the biggest things I've noticed. Even when we make decent plays and set up guys to bury the puck, the team has absolutely no finish (which is contradicted by the reasonably high Sh%). I believe that these are for the most part all smart guys with reasonably good hockey sense (except for when Tironese just blindly threw the puck back deep with the goalie pulled against Notre Dame, that was the most idiotic decision I've ever seen), but that maybe the hands can't pull off the moves the head tries to make.
                    This is one of the qualms I have about the way hockey records shots vs. the way soccer does. Sure, we have a reasonably high shot percentage, but what percentage of attempts do we have that either get blocked or miss the net, when compared to other teams? We have problems even getting pucks to the net. Either we're forcing the shots, or waiting way too long to let the opposition actually defend. The drop pass is something that's really been irking as of late, although not quite as much as clearing the puck right in front of our own net.

I understand that you want to mix up how you get into the zone, but we've developed such a reputation that I really think just going for the net is going to work. Yes, you want to work the good shot, but you don't want to make too many moves to the point where it's counter-productive, in that you make no progress and waste a lot of energy.

Comment

This is one of the qualms I have about the way hockey records shots vs. the way soccer does. Sure, we have a reasonably high shot percentage, but what percentage of attempts do we have that either get blocked or miss the net, when compared to other teams? We have problems even getting pucks to the net. Either we're forcing the shots, or waiting way too long to let the opposition actually defend. The drop pass is something that's really been irking as of late, although not quite as much as clearing the puck right in front of our own net.

I understand that you want to mix up how you get into the zone, but we've developed such a reputation that I really think just going for the net is going to work. Yes, you want to work the good shot, but you don't want to make too many moves to the point where it's counter-productive, in that you make no progress and waste a lot of energy.
                      To address some of this, 51.2% of our shot attempts make it on net, compared to the national average of 54%. That puts us at 50th out of 60, which is obviously not a good place to be. Our shooting percentage is 9.6%, which is right on the national average, but the rates at which our unblocked/total shot attempts go in (i.e., Fenwick /Corsi shooting percentage) are slightly below average at 6.6%/4.9% (vs. 6.8%/5.2%), which puts us at #32/38.
                      RPI Pep Band
                      🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

A friend pointed out that among the four college "commercials" that aired during NESN's tourney coverage, RPI's was the only production that did not show/highlight the hockey team .....interesting. If true, it's an epic fail in my view.

Comment

A friend pointed out that among the four college "commercials" that aired during NESN's tourney coverage, RPI's was the only production that did not show/highlight the hockey team .....interesting. If true, it's an epic fail in my view.
                          I have a terrible feeling it's by design.

Comment

I have absolutely no problem with this. RPI is recruiting students with this commercial. The people watching are hockey fans and know that RPI is one of the teams in the tournament. Putting them in the commercial would be redundant.
                            If we were not watching hockey, I would have a totally different opinion.
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                              I have absolutely no problem with this. RPI is recruiting students with this commercial. The people watching are hockey fans and know that RPI is one of the teams in the tournament. Putting them in the commercial would be redundant.
                              If we were not watching hockey, I would have a totally different opinion.
                              Targeted advertising is understandable. A couple of points come to mind, though:

Wouldn't you want to show what the institute values in the commercial? I think we can all agree that a large chunk would not be useful, but even if it's one-half to one second (enough to show a goal or a big hit), that does show a commitment to the hockey program.
                              Were any other sports shown in said commercial? Maybe it's just campus and research they want to show.
                              How many different commercials for RPI have been seen over the course of, say, a year? Somehow I don't think we have that many.

Comment

Targeted advertising is understandable. A couple of points come to mind, though:

Wouldn't you want to show what the institute values in the commercial? I think we can all agree that a large chunk would not be useful, but even if it's one-half to one second (enough to show a goal or a big hit), that does show a commitment to the hockey program.
                                Were any other sports shown in said commercial? Maybe it's just campus and research they want to show.
                                How many different commercials for RPI have been seen over the course of, say, a year? Somehow I don't think we have that many.
                                I was only half watching the commercial but don't recall any sports although I think that there was a shot of the outside of the ECAV (the building where the training room and basketball court are). I suspect that the video was made as a general intro to RPI and not specifically for this tourney.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X