X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2017 - 2018: A Wealth of Notions

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Why Jewell?
    He knows the region, knows the family advisors, knows the coaches, knows the players and was able to get dozens of players, and many coaches, from all areas to attend the camps at Hamilton and Bloomington in the USHL. Almost every top player either met him or heard from him at some point during their high school or junior hockey career.
    Was pleasantly surprised when the announcement was made - really think the new coach made a very good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by son-of-alumn View Post
      He knows the region, knows the family advisors, knows the coaches, knows the players and was able to get dozens of players, and many coaches, from all areas to attend the camps at Hamilton and Bloomington in the USHL. Almost every top player either met him or heard from him at some point during their high school or junior hockey career.
      Was pleasantly surprised when the announcement was made - really think the new coach made a very good choice.
      Couldn’t agree more. I talked with several long time USHL people about him when the announcement was made. They were all very high on him.
      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonMike View Post
        Great replies so far. My own answer is a little more simplistic. Even though coaching, facilities, and admin support are certainly key foundational components to a good program, I just have a very strong feeling that what this team really needs is right now is college hockey's version of Kurt Warner...what I mean is a kid that comes in under the radar and just naturally turns into a goal scoring machine. I don't think we've had anyone like that since Joe' Juneau. Someone that is a threat to score at ANY time - feared by the competition, takes the team on his back and starts drawing attention from the fans and, in turn, higher caliber recruits; and the cycle of success starts churning. I think it has to start on the ice, not off of it - just my opinion as a long time fan...
        I don't think that's it. We would have seen that effect when Pirri and D'Amigo came to town, and either we didn't, or the talent just wasn't used properly. One big thing that both my friends and I noticed is that it seemed like the players played for the name on the back, not the name on the front. We have the talent, and once we can use it for the betterment of the team, we will be very competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
          They did have a 2 time ECAC POY & 2 time Hobey nominee in Polacek. Did that do anything?
          Gave something for Appert to talk about for 6 years?

Comment

Pre-weekend interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ7I-MX0aEY

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              I don't think that's it. We would have seen that effect when Pirri and D'Amigo came to town, and either we didn't, or the talent just wasn't used properly. One big thing that both my friends and I noticed is that it seemed like the players played for the name on the back, not the name on the front. We have the talent, and once we can use it for the betterment of the team, we will be very competitive.
              You would have had to see Juneau play to understand. Any time he touched the puck he put people on the edge of their seats wondering what he might do with it. Yes Pirri and D'Amigo were top end talent. Juneau was clearly the best player on the ice night after night and it was obvious.

That said, I'm not sure it's possible for that to happen today. Everyone can skate now. Unless we somehow find the next Connor McDavid or Austen Matthews.

Comment

What will it take for RPI hockey to finally turn the corner and once again become a national college hockey powerhouse?
                Finding a group of prospective engineers who want to attend a top-flight engineering school who also happen to be wicked-good hockey players, all at the same time....and then molding them into a cohesive unit instead of a group of talented individuals.

In this day and age, I wonder if creating a neural net software program and using detailed game analytics might give us an advantage over others.

For example, Houston Astros found a pitcher with an exceptional "spin rate" on his curveball, and then turned him into a great pitcher by using detailed analytics to help him understand when to use his pitch (e.g., through the curve more frequently to left-handed batters).

There are all sorts of technical details that baseball is using* that would translate really really well to ice hockey. As I envision it, it would be two-fold: individual skills development (what technical factors are key to winning face-offs? is it positioning? is it stick angle? is it observing when a particular muscle in the referee's forearm twitches, right before he releases the puck?) and also team positioning and movement (what is optimum spacing for a three-on-two rush? for a two-on-one rush? do you skate parallel to each other?, or should there be an offset? how far apart? etc etc etc).

It seems to me we will have to win as much on guile as well as talent because the "best" talent overall will go to the powerhouses that give them the exposure they need for the next step in their pro career. As far as I can tell, the best coaches are "intuitive geniuses" because, through observation and experience, they have internalized the kinds of "rules" I mentioned based on empiricism. We can take it one step further by applying detailed quant analytics to refine and target these detail areas, moving it beyond empiricism into actual metadata analysis.

* I mentioned "spin rate" for breaking balls; there is "launch angle" for batters. just a few examples.
                Last edited by FreshFish; 11-03-2017, 08:43 AM.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  Finding a group of prospective engineers who want to attend a top-flight engineering school who also happen to be wicked-good hockey players, all at the same time....and then molding them into a cohesive unit instead of a group of talented individuals.

In this day and age, I wonder if creating a neural net software program and using detailed game analytics might give us an advantage over others.

For example, Houston Astros found a pitcher with an exceptional "spin rate" on his curveball, and then turned him into a great pitcher by using detailed analytics to help him understand when to use his pitch (e.g., through the curve more frequently to left-handed batters).

There are all sorts of technical details that baseball is using* that would translate really really well to ice hockey. As I envision it, it would be two-fold: individual skills development (what technical factors are key to winning face-offs? is it positioning? is it stick angle? is it observing when a particular muscle in the referee's forearm twitches, right before he releases the puck?) and also team positioning and movement (what is optimum spacing for a three-on-two rush? for a two-on-one rush? do you skate parallel to each other?, or should there be an offset? how far apart? etc etc etc).

It seems to me we will have to win as much on guile as well as talent because the "best" talent overall will go to the powerhouses that give them the exposure they need for the next step in their pro career. As far as I can tell, the best coaches are "intuitive geniuses" because, through observation and experience, they have internalized the kinds of "rules" I mentioned based on empiricism. We can take it one step further by applying detailed quant analytics to refine and target these detail areas, moving it beyond empiricism into actual metadata analysis.

* I mentioned "spin rate" for breaking balls; there is "launch angle" for batters. just a few examples.
                  Sounds like the next IED project. Forget catapults.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    True - but think where the program could have gone if both of those guys stayed, got better, became leaders in the locker room and helped begin a culture of winning. Not sure we would be having this conversation right now. Look what Gostisbehere did for Union as a result of not leaving after the first year.

Comment

"You would have had to see Juneau play to understand. Any time he touched the puck he put people on the edge of their seats wondering what he might do with it. Yes Pirri and D'Amigo were top end talent. Juneau was clearly the best player on the ice night after night and it was obvious."

That said, I'm not sure it's possible for that to happen today. Everyone can skate now. Unless we somehow find the next Connor McDavid or Austen Matthews.

Great description of Juneau - and I was one of the fans using the last 10% of my seat when he was there. I feel really lucky to have seen him play for 3 years.

Comment

True - but think where the program could have gone if both of those guys stayed, got better, became leaders in the locker room and helped begin a culture of winning. Not sure we would be having this conversation right now. Look what Gostisbehere did for Union as a result of not leaving after the first year.
                        They also could have experienced the sophomore slump, too. Unlikely with at least Pirri's caliber, but it's a great point that the program definitely did seem to turn a corner, and many of us on here were gleefully excited. Sadly instead of riding the momentum, we just went to inconsistency, and that exposed the team.

At this point, I am happy just to see basic fundamentals coming into place. I do honestly believe that, with such a base, success will come, and we will make the turn to success.

Comment

Looks like new blood is needed for the SLU game but it won’t be any of Samec, Payne or Burke. They were sitting to my side at tonight’s ACHA game @ HFH.
                          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                            Looks like new blood is needed for the SLU game but it won’t be any of Samec, Payne or Burke. They were sitting to my side at tonight’s ACHA game @ HFH.
                            Is Burke injured? I am surprised that he did not make the trip north.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              Is Burke injured? I am surprised that he did not make the trip north.
                              Nothing that was noticeable.

Comment

Turns out we're just bad again and hiring an Atlantic Hockey coach whose only successful seasons came when his goalies put up .930+ save percentages was never going to fix anything, or at least not in six months.
                                RPI Pep Band
                                GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                                🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                                2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                                2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Working...
                                X