Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: RPI Hockey 2017 - 2018: A Wealth of Notions

Re: RPI Hockey 2017 - 2018: A Wealth of Notions

Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    SOG is a terrible stat.
    perhaps, but IMHO it is extremely useful to the extent that you must have SOG in order to score!

[cue fdud's snarky comment about deflections....]

Raw total SOG may not mean as much as a way to measure the quality of SOG one takes every game.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

I like this teams work ethic.If they can stay reasonably healthy I think they will be a tough out down the stretch.

Well, well a W. Great play by Marshall at the end of the game to seal it. Couple take aways: GREAT third period. Pretty lackluster 1st and 2nd. Yale could simply not keep up in the third. BUT... several grade A scoring chances in 1st two periods, but stopped cold by Yale's goalie. Gotta bury some of those. A few other chances from in close that missed the net. I see the team getting much better from the goalie out. Defense kept Yale to the outside and back checking was good. But. the turnovers were a big problem. Especially right outside their own blueline on the breakout. A top tier team would have made RPI pay for many of those. So, if I were advising... I think the breakout from the defensive zone is the next major work area. It's on to Brown. A team RPI has traditionally struggled against. Hopefully they will start the game like they finished with Yale.

I miss Tie Domi

Nice effort by the boys last night. In Smith's poster he mentioned the team played their best defense in the offensive zone and how they are emphasizing checking in all three zones. Nice to see the work pay off. Wilson credited Burgess and Troy New York for creating traffic in front on his ppg.

5 *

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    5 *
    Wrong thread.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Wrong thread.
    I do that a lot.

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

I do that a lot.
    I did it twice in Cornell's score thread.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

PUCKMAN RULES!!!

The coach saw the game exactly how I saw it, but it doesn't make the loss any easier to take.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

The game, from my perspective was the opposite of Friday. Friday: 2 weak periods followed by a strong third. Saturday: 2 strong followed by a weak third. I think after they went up 4-1, they played like all they had to do was finish out the period. After none of Brown's three goals did a sense of urgency return to RPI. And not talked about was the offensive zone penalty by Liljegren. An absolutely huge mistake at the end of the game. I also thought, after some criticism here on his play, Tironese had an outstanding weekend. He skated hard, fast, and was always attacking the puck setting a very strong example for the younger players. I understand they just came back from Ireland. But they had time to adjust from that. And I am sure efforts were made to help the team adjust. But great teams don't look for excuses. They weren't a team tough to play against in the third. And the one thought that entered my mind in the second and start of the third was: Brown has traditionally been a thorn in RPI's side. Always finding RPI easy to play against. And I wondered if the Brown team and coaches were thinking "Wow this is a different team than we have played in the past". Until it wasn't. The question is: how much a of a bad taste does this leave in their mouths? One step forward......

Don’t “burn the tape”, instead put the last 12min. (of Reg.) on a loop & have them watch it over & over & over. NOT to see themselves implode but to see what drive & determination looks like & I’m talking about the kids from Brown. Bravo to them.

Quote Originally Posted by turk181 View Post
    Don’t “burn the tape”, instead put the last 12min. (of Reg.) on a loop & have them watch it over & over & over. NOT to see themselves implode but to see what drive & determination looks like & I’m talking about the kids from Brown. Bravo to them.
    This game was lost by the coach more than the players. Over playing a group of players on both special teams units lead to this loss. This was a tired team in the 3rd period and it could have been avoided. The coach had a timeout that he never used and should have been used after the 3rd goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Noresmen View Post
    This game was lost by the coach more than the players. Over playing a group of players on both special teams units lead to this loss. This was a tired team in the 3rd period and it could have been avoided. The coach had a timeout that he never used and should have been used after the 3rd goal.
    He pretty much admitted to that in the post-game interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Noresmen View Post
    Yeah, I kept thinking as Brown was rolling, “when is he going to call TO”. I really do expect this Team to rebound Tuesday.

Conductor emeritus

I don't remember feeling worse than I did last night after any other RPI game I've watched (potentially excepting the Game 3 loss to Dartmouth in 2014). Terrible.
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2014-2015 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner Up

I don't know what RPI was thinking about at the beginning of Saturday night's game, but 20 seconds after the opening faceoff, they were down 1-0. One could surmise that if they'd kept the puck out of their net for the first minute, the Engineers might have survived Brown's three-goal rally and won in regulation.

I don't know what RPI will be thinking about at the beginning of Wednesday night's game, either, but they'd better not come out for the opening faceoff still moping about what happened on Saturday. If they do, I expect UNH will be only too happy to take advantage, just as Brown did.

Thread Information