This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2017 - 2018: A Wealth of Notions

Please post anything about Ott and Gornall here.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I am late to this conversation and was wondering if Ott will be playing this year.
      The RPI web site shows Gornall being added to the roster, but no mention of Ott.
      What's up with that?
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        I am late to this conversation and was wondering if Ott will be playing this year.
        The RPI web site shows Gornall being added to the roster, but no mention of Ott.
        What's up with that?
        He will be playing when classes begin. I am pretty sure that he won't be eligible until he starts taking classes. Why would we bring him in the middle of the year if he won't play? He isn't a transfer like Gornall.

He is now in the directory

Donovan P. Ott
        FR,
        Business and Management

Edit: and thanks for posting on this thread about Ott.
        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-13-2018, 07:10 AM.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

postgame https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSCNX3MlHGI
          He has shaved.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Quite the impressive effort. Good breakout, far less turnovers, and better in the faceoff circle (although the gap had closed considerably by the end of the game). That being said.....too many unconverted Grade A chances. The score could easily have been 4 or 5 to 1. One could argue should have been. I did expect more from St. Lawrence based on their last couple of games, but such is college hockey. Ups and downs. They will have to play as equally well tonight to stand a chance. I thought the best player on the ice was Hayhurst. When he plays like he is on a mission like last night, its so much fun to watch. As to Autism awareness night....I read the posts about "when' the game should be played. I understand it "takes away" from the college hockey atmosphere. But it is 1 game. And the number of kids who came tonight who would not have otherwise was pretty impressive. In section 5 there was a whole group of deaf kids. Not Autistic, perhaps, but they came to see a great game. The atmosphere started out well, but, like last year, the guy on the clock just couldn't get it straight. NO horn, whatsoever. At all. It's almost like "well we were quiet for a bit, but don't get the impression we really want to be doing this". I mean, it's 1 game. 1 out of the whole season. Can't we just welcome a community to the Fieldhouse to try and show we have enough respect for what they are dealing with to change how we do things and give them a chance to share in our passion? Can't we show just a little bit of heart. For one night? Perhaps, based on last night's result, we should do it more often!

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
              Quite the impressive effort.
              Was at another game last night in West Point and kept refreshing the RPI score on my cell phone during OT. So glad RPI could bury one and win a game in OT. With Clarkson now #1 in Pairwise, I'd love to see the Engineers give Clarkson a great battle tonight.
              RPI Engineers
              RIT Tigers
              ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                Quite the impressive effort. Good breakout, far less turnovers, and better in the faceoff circle (although the gap had closed considerably by the end of the game). That being said.....too many unconverted Grade A chances. The score could easily have been 4 or 5 to 1. One could argue should have been. I did expect more from St. Lawrence based on their last couple of games, but such is college hockey. Ups and downs. They will have to play as equally well tonight to stand a chance. I thought the best player on the ice was Hayhurst. When he plays like he is on a mission like last night, its so much fun to watch. As to Autism awareness night....I read the posts about "when' the game should be played. I understand it "takes away" from the college hockey atmosphere. But it is 1 game. And the number of kids who came tonight who would not have otherwise was pretty impressive. In section 5 there was a whole group of deaf kids. Not Autistic, perhaps, but they came to see a great game. The atmosphere started out well, but, like last year, the guy on the clock just couldn't get it straight. NO horn, whatsoever. At all. It's almost like "well we were quiet for a bit, but don't get the impression we really want to be doing this". I mean, it's 1 game. 1 out of the whole season. Can't we just welcome a community to the Fieldhouse to try and show we have enough respect for what they are dealing with to change how we do things and give them a chance to share in our passion? Can't we show just a little bit of heart. For one night? Perhaps, based on last night's result, we should do it more often!
                Regarding the score, we ran into tough goaltending. That's going to happen. One thing I did like about what we did, though, was that we (mostly) didn't panic and try to force the situation (there was one person who was again a notable exception, but that's another story for another day). We were patiently getting the goalie moving, looking for the right opening, and that's what I saw us capitalize on twice. That's how you earn goals. If there were a stat in hockey similar to the earned/unearned stat for runs against a pitcher we see in baseball, I would liken the odd-man rushes/breaks and bad turnovers as "unearned" (similar to an error in baseball), and the plays we had last night as "earned". Obviously not to say we don't ever not earn a goal because they aren't just given away, but I saw a great effort with rewarded perseverance.

With the Autism Awareness, it's NCAA mandated they have the clock horn. There's no way to get around that. They have to signal the end of a timeout, they have protocol horn soundings for points in the game they are mandated by rule to observe, and they have to get the referee's attention if there's a problem. As has always been the case, they do what they can to make it a more pleasant experience. The steps they do take are certainly admirable. However, you cannot sacrifice proper flow of the game for what you're trying to achieve. I sincerely hope I don't have to post this every single year the day (or two) after Autism Awareness Night.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post

With the Autism Awareness, it's NCAA mandated they have the clock horn. There's no way to get around that. They have to signal the end of a timeout, they have protocol horn soundings for points in the game they are mandated by rule to observe, and they have to get the referee's attention if there's a problem. As has always been the case, they do what they can to make it a more pleasant experience. The steps they do take are certainly admirable. However, you cannot sacrifice proper flow of the game for what you're trying to achieve. I sincerely hope I don't have to post this every single year the day (or two) after Autism Awareness Night.
                  The NCAA can be approached and a request can be made to modify the rule for one game. I can see a need for a signal (not necessarily a horn) to end the period, and also to get the referee's attention if there is a problem. But to signal the end of a time out? The refs are almost always standing by the timekeeper during time out, he can just tell them, and they can raise their arm like they do for every other call in the ice.
                  I sincerely hope that if this is not rectified in the future that you will have to enlighten us every year until it is.
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Regarding the score, we ran into tough goaltending. That's going to happen. One thing I did like about what we did, though, was that we (mostly) didn't panic and try to force the situation (there was one person who was again a notable exception, but that's another story for another day).
                    I'll admit it, I panicked.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                      The NCAA can be approached and a request can be made to modify the rule for one game. I can see a need for a signal (not necessarily a horn) to end the period, and also to get the referee's attention if there is a problem. But to signal the end of a time out? The refs are almost always standing by the timekeeper during time out, he can just tell them, and they can raise their arm like they do for every other call in the ice.
                      I sincerely hope that if this is not rectified in the future that you will have to enlighten us every year until it is.
                      Rule 92 - Timeouts
                      Timeout -
                      Each team shall be allowed a one-minute timeout during the
                      game; the timeout may be taken anytime during a stoppage of play. A team
                      will be permitted to use its timeout for rules that do not allow a substitution
                      of players. The team that is prevented by rule from substituting its players
                      must call the timeout to be allowed to change.
                      The timeout may be used for warming-up the substitute goalkeeper or any
                      other purpose. If a team takes a timeout, the opposing team may exercise the
                      rights of a timeout, including warming-up a goalkeeper (see 74.2). Each team
                      is allowed the legal number of players on the ice (not more than six players
                      and five pucks).
                      The game timekeeper shall be responsible for timing and signaling the
                      termination of the timeout by blowing the horn.
                      Whomever is part of the rules committee, I suggest you contact them if you'd like a change.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs
                        Ralph - is Ott's name the shortest name in RPI hockey history ? 😜
                        Don't know and too lazy to check.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          Don't know and too lazy to check.
                          The quick Bob Fox jumped over the lazy check?

Comment

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
                            The quick Bob Fox jumped over the lazy check?
                            tied then
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X