X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2017 - 2018: A Wealth of Notions

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    How many got the propaganda response from RPI about how SAJ is a despot?
    I got one saying that she is a fine person.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

How many got the propaganda response from RPI about how SAJ is a despot?
      I guess you want to keep this discussion going. I agree that SAJ is probably a despot, but so is POTUS.
      I am finished with this topic now. Thanks for the debate.
      On with RPI hockey.
      LGR
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

Comment

RPI Hockey 2017 - 2018 (Part II): Now free from Troy York puns
        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-30-2018, 08:19 AM.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

From Wednesday morning's Times Union:

http://www.timesunion.com/news/artic...photo-12888903

"... Less than ten minutes after the email was sent, alumni began emailing the Times Union and posting on social media that they felt "unfairly" attacked by the message and found RPI's decision to distribute the email "unprofessional."

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            I got one saying that she is a fine person.
            I received one, too. After reading today's paper, I believe some others also received it.
            In my youth, I also read The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight. It was not about hockey.

Either this is poor staff support or President Jackson seems to have limited managerial skills.

Comment

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post

"... Less than ten minutes after the email was sent, alumni began emailing the Times Union and posting on social media that they felt "unfairly" attacked by the message and found RPI's decision to distribute the email "unprofessional."
              FJ - your link is broken, try this : http://www.timesunion.com/news/artic...m-12536402.php

I don't see the current situation ending well for the Institute.
              Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post

This even made the papers out here. I guess the rebuttal was that we were racist and sexist for complaining. http://www.syracuse.com/state/index....sm_sexism.html

Comment

This even made the papers out here. I guess the rebuttal was that we were racist and sexist for complaining. http://www.syracuse.com/state/index....sm_sexism.html
                  Don't forget taller.
                  "I can't help thinking that if she were white, male (and maybe a bit taller!), she would not be so quickly dismissed as an autocrat," Bystroff wrote.
                  Personally I think this world would be better if we had more short people in charge. BTW I wonder why "fat" wasn't mentioned too.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    I was shocked that an official of the institute would send out such a letter using a school mailing list. It was a completely unfair shot at those unhappy with the current leadership based solely on one individual's speculation regarding their motivation. That it was sent by the person responsible for outreach to the very audience it attacks makes me wonder whether he belongs in that role.

Comment

• Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                      ....The TU made ice, apparently,...... It would be good for hockey, good for the teams, good for Albany. I cant help wonder how many more years this will go on there before the TU bows out. Then the fighting will begin about whose barn gets it when.
                      I've had similar thoughts. The only thing that I think keeps the event at the TUC is future bids for NCAA regional ice hockey locations. TUC GM Bob Belber is a shrewd operator. He knows his business- the ability to demonstrate to the NCAA that you are a viable hockey barn is a necessity for bidding prospects. With the completed renovations to the building and the adjacent new Capitol Center the facility is a whole lot more competitive for hosting. Add in the healthy attendance of 7,600 announced and I think we may see a 2 or 3 year continuance.
                      Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 01-31-2018, 01:20 PM.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                        I was shocked that an official of the institute would send out such a letter using a school mailing list. It was a completely unfair shot at those unhappy with the current leadership based solely on one individual's speculation regarding their motivation. That it was sent by the person responsible for outreach to the very audience it attacks makes me wonder whether he belongs in that role.
                        Based upon what was in the e-mail, he's not going anywhere. He's the new "leader" of the new Faculty Senate, the previous of which was disbanded back in 2006 after a no-confidence vote attempt. Although there have been several times that the administration has had to reconsider their policy ideas (conversion of Greek houses to something similar to dorms, two hostile takeovers of the student union), I don't think they care anymore about the perception of some alums, on the basis that they have support of other "more desirable" ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          Based upon what was in the e-mail, he's not going anywhere. He's the new "leader" of the new Faculty Senate, the previous of which was disbanded back in 2006 after a no-confidence vote attempt. Although there have been several times that the administration has had to reconsider their policy ideas (conversion of Greek houses to something similar to dorms, two hostile takeovers of the student union), I don't think they care anymore about the perception of some alums, on the basis that they have support of other "more desirable" ones.
                          Actually, I was referring to the Eastin, the "VP of Institute Advancement", who somehow thought it appropriate to send that message to the entire alumni base. I have no problem with a professor, even one that may be aligned with the administration, expressing his views, however controversial, on an internal faculty list-serve. It's something else for a senior official to read that message and its questionable basis for dismissing alumni complaints and deciding to launch a direct PR attack on those alums using institute resources. It not only exposes the Tute's dirty laundry to even wider consideration, but it's directly counter to that official's charter, which is outreach to the alumni and fund-raising. If he somehow thinks he's made things better by questioning the integrity of everyone that is unhappy he should resign immediately because he has no sense of the situation or how to do his job effectively.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                            Actually, I was referring to the Eastin, the "VP of Institute Advancement", who somehow thought it appropriate to send that message to the entire alumni base. I have no problem with a professor, even one that may be aligned with the administration, expressing his views, however controversial, on an internal faculty list-serve. It's something else for a senior official to read that message and its questionable basis for dismissing alumni complaints and deciding to launch a direct PR attack on those alums using institute resources. It not only exposes the Tute's dirty laundry to even wider consideration, but it's directly counter to that official's charter, which is outreach to the alumni and fund-raising. If he somehow thinks he's made things better by questioning the integrity of everyone that is unhappy he should resign immediately because he has no sense of the situation or how to do his job effectively.
                            Unfortunately, and I hate to use turnabout and bring other politics into this because our issue with the administration of the 'tute has nothing to do with politics, it seems that certain groups of people have lately been doubling down on the claims of discrimination. Perhaps the administration thinks, by painting itself as a victim and "guilting" its constituency accordingly, that it is going to gain sympathetic support, especially since this tactic has worked in the political realm for approximately the past half century. Let's not forget the main associations of Dr. Jackson, their feelings about the questioning of integrity ("deplorables" comes to mind), and how they attempted to use the same tactic. I do agree that this tactic has to stop, but it is our responsibility to not give into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                              I've had similar thoughts. The only thing that I think keeps the event at the TUC is future bids for NCAA regional ice hockey locations. TUC GM Bob Belber is a shrewd operator. He knows his business- the ability to demonstrate to the NCAA that you are a viable hockey barn is a necessity for bidding prospects. With the completed renovations to the building and the adjacent new Capitol Center the facility is a whole lot more competitive for hosting. Add in the healthy attendance of 7,600 announced and I think we may see a 2 or 3 year continuance.
                              One thing I wonder is, how much does the NC$$ take the community into account? The TUC lost an AHL team for what seems to be a general lack of support, not just because of the western desires. If hockey isn't desired in Albany proper, and just happens to be convenient location for Troy and Schenectady, what is that going to say about the chances for a regional bid?

Comment

One thing I wonder is, how much does the NC$$ take the community into account? The TUC lost an AHL team for what seems to be a general lack of support, not just because of the western desires. If hockey isn't desired in Albany proper, and just happens to be convenient location for Troy and Schenectady, what is that going to say about the chances for a regional bid?
                                There seems to be a general lack of support for general sites. I would think that the NCAA would be happy if they drew as much as the men's Mayors' Cup.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X