This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    You get the feeling some of the pundits are starting to get a bit impatient?

I'm glad Troy York got a shout-out, because that kid's compete level is amazing. I hope he keeps this up for the next 3.5 years, because he's one special player.
    York is a contributing player ... I'm not sure the contributions are all positive. I'm also not sure how special he is at this point either. He's scored some goals which is helpful. His PK skills leave something to be desired and one wonders why he is out there. As for his compete level, he is one of a number of players that has a high level of compete. For me the jury is still out on him and a number of other Freshmen. I'd much rather see Tironese out there at this stage of the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
      York is a contributing player ... I'm not sure the contributions are all positive. I'm also not sure how special he is at this point either. He's scored some goals which is helpful. His PK skills leave something to be desired and one wonders why he is out there. As for his compete level, he is one of a number of players that has a high level of compete. For me the jury is still out on him and a number of other Freshmen. I'd much rather see Tironese out there at this stage of the game.
      IMO, York has been the most consistent 200ft forward we've had since Marello got gooned after the whistle at SLU. He keeps opponents honest, I.e. He doesn't allow free zone entries - they get hit. He is not a guy who will fill score sheets, he is a guy who is hard to play against, plays bigger than his size and creates space for his line mates. I'd take 5 more like him.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Targeted advertising is understandable. A couple of points come to mind, though:

Wouldn't you want to show what the institute values in the commercial? I think we can all agree that a large chunk would not be useful, but even if it's one-half to one second (enough to show a goal or a big hit), that does show a commitment to the hockey program.
        Were any other sports shown in said commercial? Maybe it's just campus and research they want to show.
        How many different commercials for RPI have been seen over the course of, say, a year? Somehow I don't think we have that many.
        Agree 100%. That the three other schools included hockey in their ads says it all. You either value it as part of the student experience and want to share that with the outside world or you don't. Simple math.
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2017 - 2018: A Wealth of Notions

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
          Agree 100%. That the three other schools included hockey in their ads says it all. You either value it as part of the student experience and want to share that with the outside world or you don't. Simple math.
          Shirley just does not care.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
            To address some of this, 51.2% of our shot attempts make it on net, compared to the national average of 54%. That puts us at 50th out of 60, which is obviously not a good place to be. Our shooting percentage is 9.6%, which is right on the national average, but the rates at which our unblocked/total shot attempts go in (i.e., Fenwick /Corsi shooting percentage) are slightly below average at 6.6%/4.9% (vs. 6.8%/5.2%), which puts us at #32/38.
            SOG is a terrible stat. I'm sure the team keeps better ones ie Corsi number or some quality shot stat. At best SOG can show a trend if your teams are not close to each other.

Crazy not to show hockey in the commercial to round out the quality of life at RPI.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              Shirley just does not care.
              Can't put all the blame on her, as there's probably some marketing department that comes up with this, and she just rubber stamps it. Yes, I understand staff serves at her and the board's pleasure, and she probably hired them. Only tyrants call that an extension of themselves (and yes, I understand she is one, but they only do it when it benefits them). Either way, it's still quite the overlook.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                IMO, York has been the most consistent 200ft forward we've had since Marello got gooned after the whistle at SLU. He keeps opponents honest, I.e. He doesn't allow free zone entries - they get hit. He is not a guy who will fill score sheets, he is a guy who is hard to play against, plays bigger than his size and creates space for his line mates. I'd take 5 more like him.
                Will agree to disagree. You and I must watch the game differently. I don’t see a 200ft game out of him to the level you suggest and I also don’t see a player that plays larger than his size. But as I said to start we see the game differently. What we need is our big guys to play to their size and our Dmen to play within them selves. Too many want to be Eric Karlson. Other teams are moving ahead with new coaches because they are embracing a simple game. This team has not ... short simple zone outlet passes. 2 and 2 step Dmen rushes with passes next are what we should be looking for and we don’t. Still don’t understand how a team that was #1 in the ECAC and #9 in the country with only 1 true departure from last years successful PP can be under 10% this year.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                  SOG is a terrible stat. I'm sure the team keeps better ones ie Corsi number or some quality shot stat. At best SOG can show a trend if your teams are not close to each other.
                  In college hockey, all-situations SOG percentage is actually more strongly correlated with winning than Corsi or anything else publicly available (I'm having trouble finding the source, but it's a Ryan Lambert article either on CHN or Puck Daddy).
                  RPI Pep Band
                  GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                  🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                  2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                  2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

the last 4 seasons, through the end of November don't paint a great picture for the start.

2014 6-9-1 25 GF 43 GA
                    2015 8-5-2 40 GF 40 GA
                    2016 3-12-1 32 GF 56 GA
                    2017 2-10-3 33 GF 49 GA

I highly disagree on York and Tironese; York is a sparkplug this team desperately needs, and Tironese's horrendous mental lapses need to be eliminated.
                    Last edited by ServinisScores; 11-29-2017, 12:08 PM.
                    Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                      the last 4 seasons, through the end of November don't paint a great picture for the start.

2014 6-9-1 25 GF 43 GA
                      2015 8-5-2 40 GF 40 GA
                      2016 3-12-1 32 GF 56 GA
                      2017 2-10-3 33 GF 49 GA

I highly disagree on York and Tironese; York is a sparkplug this team desperately needs, and Tironese's horrendous mental lapses need to be eliminated.
                      I'd take that 2015 start again.

Comment

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
                        Will agree to disagree. You and I must watch the game differently. I don’t see a 200ft game out of him to the level you suggest and I also don’t see a player that plays larger than his size. But as I said to start we see the game differently. What we need is our big guys to play to their size and our Dmen to play within them selves. Too many want to be Eric Karlson. Other teams are moving ahead with new coaches because they are embracing a simple game. This team has not ... short simple zone outlet passes. 2 and 2 step Dmen rushes with passes next are what we should be looking for and we don’t. Still don’t understand how a team that was #1 in the ECAC and #9 in the country with only 1 true departure from last years successful PP can be under 10% this year.
                        Somehow, I get the feeling you're seeing some holes in York's play and judging based on that. I don't think anyone's saying that he's perfect, just that we're seeing good things from him, and the feeling that we'll see the same for the next 3.5 years.

The comment about Eric Karlson can pretty much sum up the teams we've had in the past few years. They've felt like "all star teams". A bunch of guys playing for the name on the back, and no sense of team cohesion. And when team cohesion has to come, it seems like they over-compensate, and forget about the fundamentals that have made them successful year to year, never taking the shot when it's open (unless you're "the chosen one"), getting rid of the puck as quickly as possible because heaven forbid you make a mistake with it and to heck with where it goes, and looking, well, just plain lost when you're in front of the blue line.

As a comparison, at this point last year, we were 12/83 on the PP, or approximately 1/7. Still a bit far from the 20+% percent. Being under 10% right now is troubling, but isn't necessarily an indication of where we're going to be by the end of the year. Don't know if it's slow start syndrome, only worrying about league games, or if it's something else we saw that isn't being done now.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          Somehow, I get the feeling you're seeing some holes in York's play and judging based on that.
                          Your deductive reasoning is off the charts......

Comment

• Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post

Again we’re using words to describe players that really have flaws ... you’re falling in love with a player that has a small package of evidence to base it off of. I understand the reasoning for hope but let’s wait till there’s a larger sample size. Like a full season.

As for Tironese, One play doesn’t paint a full picture. Here’s a player with a much larger sample size then York and he’s being painted as a player that makes bad decisions. He’s almost a point per game player in his career at RPI. His skill set is higher than most in the team and therefore he’s going to attempt plays that others lacking in skills won’t or even shouldn’t attempt. Why he’s not on the PP is beyond me. If my memory is correct he played a large role in RPI’s success on the PP.

Comment

You guys realize that this is a brand new team right? A new coach with a new system and more new players than anyone would be comfortable with.
                              Have you watched the play this weekend? Our defensive zone play was top notch. The kept everything to the outside just the way you draw it up. Clarkson is a very good team, and we held them in check for the entire game.
                              Our offensive game needs a lot of help. Our transition game needs even more help. But we are just getting to know each other and what we are capable of.
                              Lets see what this team grows into before we start getting on the players.
                              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                              Benjamin Franklin
                              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                              Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                                You guys realize that this is a brand new team right? A new coach with a new system and more new players than anyone would be comfortable with.
                                Have you watched the play this weekend? Our defensive zone play was top notch. The kept everything to the outside just the way you draw it up. Clarkson is a very good team, and we held them in check for the entire game.
                                Our offensive game needs a lot of help. Our transition game needs even more help. But we are just getting to know each other and what we are capable of.
                                Lets see what this team grows into before we start getting on the players.
                                In October, our offensive game didn't seem like it needed help. Are we one trick ponies that others have figured out? Did we play opposition that isn't as a good at defending? Or are we over-compensating with defensive play that we forget the other side of the blue line?

Comment

Working...
                                X