X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2017 - 2018: A Wealth of Notions

Originally posted by hab View Post
    Anybody here know whether video will be available online for either the men's or women's Mayors Cup games on Saturday?
    The ECAC site has no links (they have them for anything else, and I'd think they'd have them by now for this), so I would venture a guess that the answer is no. I'm sure RPI-TV will record and place it in their archives.

Comment

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
      It’s not empty words .... and my source is as good as it can be
      It sounds like your source has an axe to grind with the current coach, or at least a different opinion on how to run a team.
      Smith is in his first half of a season of running this club. He has a team that can't score goals (that is not his fault). His PP is just fine. They create many scoring opportunities, but cannot finish.
      Five on five, they have been very good, creating opportunities and not finishing them. His defensive zone play is far and away better than AP's ever was.
      I look forward to watching this team grow under Smith. JMO
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        It sounds like your source has an axe to grind with the current coach, or at least a different opinion on how to run a team.
        Smith is in his first half of a season of running this club. He has a team that can't score goals (that is not his fault). His PP is just fine. They create many scoring opportunities, but cannot finish.
        Five on five, they have been very good, creating opportunities and not finishing them. His defensive zone play is far and away better than AP's ever was.
        I look forward to watching this team grow under Smith. JMO
        No axe to grind. Just stating some hard objective facts. I genuinely like the man and I hope in the next few years this team is turned around.

Comment

A few thoughts....Great coaches are few and far between. Look just around the ECAC and see who the great coaches are. I look at Schafer, Vaughn, Gaudet, Allain, Pecknold, Donato. They are all great coaches and impress me even during down seasons. If they have an off year, it doesn't last long. I imagine their strongest asset is motivating their players to perform week in and week out and live up to their potential. They win and recruiting becomes much easier. And, I imagine, winning teams /programs draw more attention from pro scouts. The problem for the other coaches is convincing recruits that your school, your team, your coaching are where you want to be. There are also many more D1 programs than there used to be. So the real question is why should the better players come to RPI? And if they and their parents do a reasonable amount of research, they will find an atmosphere where the school president is not liked. Alumni are not supporting the school. The hockey team's record has been consistently pretty bad especially the last few years. There are much better facilities elsewhere ( and all they hear is "better facilities are on the way......someday"). And, if other posts are correct, the close knit family that is hockey is not so gung ho on RPI anymore. And if SA's leftovers are going to be cut loose, that , just on the surface, looks like a lack of commitment from the school. So it's an uphill battle. I agree we need to be patient and give the coach time to create his own stamp on the team. It is frustrating , absolutely. Too many lean years. But we are not going to suddenly start getting elite players. We are not going to rise to the top of the league and be there consistently. We will have to pay dues. Be willing to be a good, top 8 team. And then better players will not only take that chance on this school, this program, this coach, but also will WANT to. Then we will have something to get really excited about.

Comment

Vaughan? Are you kidding? Gaudet?? Jury is still out on Donato. Things picked up for Harvard when Paul Pearl left Holy Cross, and I would add Bennett to that list!
            I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I am not kidding. Even when they are not in the top four, they always have teams that are hard to play against. And why do these guys, particularly Vaughn and Gaudet, have such longevity? Their jobs never seem to be in jeopardy Do you think the fans in Hamilton and Hanover think their teams are consistent Frozen Four material? I am sure recruiting is not easy for those guys, but they put a decent team on the ice. Year in and year out. That's what I mean by great coaches. They play the hand they are dealt. Ask yourself the following question. If the top four teams had to choose who they would rather play to get the W, do you think they would choose Colgate or RPI, or Dartmouth or RPI? I suspect in both cases they would rather play RPI because they are not hard to play against. I do not expect RPI to be a consistent, elite team (not to say I would not welcome that). Recruiting top tier players here is hard. I suspect it is also hard at Dartmouth and Colgate. But for some reason, over the last several years, we can't crack the top 8 and be a team other teams worry about. And I think the reason for that is the coaching and the atmosphere in the locker room. I am not saying that Dave Smith cannot create a decent, top 8 team. Just that I would be pretty happy to see us win 10-15 games a season, for the majority of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                  I am not kidding. Even when they are not in the top four, they always have teams that are hard to play against. And why do these guys, particularly Vaughn and Gaudet, have such longevity? Their jobs never seem to be in jeopardy Do you think the fans in Hamilton and Hanover think their teams are consistent Frozen Four material? I am sure recruiting is not easy for those guys, but they put a decent team on the ice. Year in and year out. That's what I mean by great coaches. They play the hand they are dealt. Ask yourself the following question. If the top four teams had to choose who they would rather play to get the W, do you think they would choose Colgate or RPI, or Dartmouth or RPI? I suspect in both cases they would rather play RPI because they are not hard to play against. I do not expect RPI to be a consistent, elite team (not to say I would not welcome that). Recruiting top tier players here is hard. I suspect it is also hard at Dartmouth and Colgate. But for some reason, over the last several years, we can't crack the top 8 and be a team other teams worry about. And I think the reason for that is the coaching and the atmosphere in the locker room. I am not saying that Dave Smith cannot create a decent, top 8 team. Just that I would be pretty happy to see us win 10-15 games a season, for the majority of the time.
                  Vaughn is a good Coach and I also think that Bennett is good. Both benefit from academic standards and course offerings at their school. Your postings have been spot on. There are pieces on this team, 4 draft picks. Reilly, Wilson, Marshall, Jesper's brother, Vik and Burgess are all decent D1 players. Lee and Shirls own this debacle for the reasons the hockey alumni stated this off season. Dave should have time but it is going to be tough because he will have a team full of froshs next year with plethora of recruits he has in the cue.
                  "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                    Vaughn is a good Coach and I also think that Bennett is good. Both benefit from academic standards and course offerings at their school. Your postings have been spot on. There are pieces on this team, 4 draft picks. Reilly, Wilson, Marshall, Jesper's brother, Vik and Burgess are all decent D1 players. Lee and Shirls own this debacle for the reasons the hockey alumni stated this off season. Dave should have time but it is going to be tough because he will have a team full of froshs next year with plethora of recruits he has in the cue.
                    What debacle? Shirl and Lee have hired two exceptional men to coach the team. SA turned out to be a better man than coach. They could not see that coming. Smith looks like he is turning this team around, but he is going to need more than one scorer to make it to the top of the league. Jerry seems to be a good start in that direction. I look forward to next year as this team is gaining confidence and playing much harder than they did in previous years.
                    As an outsider, I can see that you guys have a problem with Shirley, but why? She rules the same way that the current POTUS rules, and I know that all of you think that he is just great.
                    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                    Benjamin Franklin
                    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                    Gary Player

Comment

What debacle? Shirl and Lee have hired two exceptional men to coach the team. SA turned out to be a better man than coach. They could not see that coming. Smith looks like he is turning this team around, but he is going to need more than one scorer to make it to the top of the league. Jerry seems to be a good start in that direction. I look forward to next year as this team is gaining confidence and playing much harder than they did in previous years.
                      As an outsider, I can see that you guys have a problem with Shirley, but why? She rules the same way that the current POTUS rules, and I know that all of you think that he is just great.
                      https://www.chronicle.com/article/Ho...a-Toxic/240655

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Be...ly-Paid/150441

http://www.timesunion.com/local/arti...g-12512869.php

http://www.saratogian.com/article/ST...NEWS/180129951

http://www.saratogian.com/general-ne...plinary-action

etc. etc. etc. EHF #MakeRPIGreatAgain
                      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

SA turned out to be a better man than coach.
                        OGC sits atop the Eastern Division of USHL playing teams that have older kids. 22 wins this season...so far.

http://www.ushl.com/view/#/team-stats
                        Also, has two National Championships on his resume. You are right he is a great man.
                        Last edited by AspyDad; 01-28-2018, 09:14 AM.

Comment

OGC sits atop the Eastern Division of USHL playing teams that have older kids. 22 wins this season...so far.

http://www.ushl.com/view/#/team-stats
                          Also, has two National Championships on his resume. You are right he is a great man.
                          FWIW, the USNTDP is made up of two teams, a U18 team and an U17 teams. Each plays some of the games. He only coaches the U18 team, so he did not coach all of those wins. That is not meant to belittle has accomplishments this season.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            FWIW, the USNTDP is made up of two teams, a U18 team and an U17 teams. Each plays some of the games. He only coaches the U18 team, so he did not coach all of those wins. That is not meant to belittle has accomplishments this season.

Which two National championships are on his resume?
                            Denver

Comment

Denver
                              I realized that after i first posted and quickly, but not quickly enough, deleted that line.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                Excuse me Ralph, he's only got 20 wins this season; you get the point.
                                http://www.usahockeyntdp.com/schedul...bseason=435040

Comment

Working...
                                X